Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#38575] Help with translation - Paupers Census for Bergen

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

Could anyone help me with a translation?I found my grandfather's family in the 'Pauper's Census' for Bergen. They appear in two books:Bergen fattigvesen, fattigmanntal 3. avd. 1886-1891; Page 220, No. 653Bergen fattigvesen, fattigmanntal 3. avd 1891-1895; Page 111, No. 328I am particularly interested in the 'Anmærkningen' section.Also, I have another question. If I am reading this correctly, both entries show my great-grandfather as Torger Andersen Sundsbo. Torger was born in Helleland. I have seen him called Torger Andersen Vasbø. But I have not seen this other name. I found Sundsbø farm in Lindaas, but as far as I know Torger never lived here.I would appreciate any assistance with this.Hilsen Patricia Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan H. Trelsgård

Torger Andersen Sundsbø and Torger Andersen Vasbø (ref. no. 2) are not identical.In the 'Pauper Census' it appears that Torger Andersen Sundsbø was born 1860 and died of nervous fever at the hospital. The information in the second book shows payments given to his widow.You can find his death-record here: [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=doed1881&gardpostnr=15189&personpostnr=15189#nedre>Lenke and here: LenkeThis could perhaps be Torger in the 1865-census ?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan H. Trelsgård

The 'bygdebok' of Bjerkreim confirms that Torgir Andersen Lenke was born march 22nd 1860 at ytre Kalveskog in Bjerkreim parish as a son of Anne Torjersdatter Bjørnestad and Andreas Olsen Teistedal. His parents moved to Vassbø in Bjerkreim parish in 1866. According to the bygdebok Torgir moved to Sandnes 1878, then to Stavanger 1880, then again to Denmark 1884 and at last to Hamburg in Germany 1885. No further information has been given about him in the bygdebok.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Nina & JanNina -- Thank you for looking for my ancestor. However, this Torger was born in 1870. And my great grandfather was born in 1860. However, I think he is a relative… perhaps a cousin.Jan -- Do you think it is possible that the person who entered the information for the Pauper's Census made a mistake when he wrote 'Sundsbo'?I ask, because I am relatively certain both entries in the Paupers Census are for my family. The children's names and birth dates match the information I got from the Norwegian family bible my mother gave me and they also match the records I found at the Digitalarkivet.Here is the baptism of their first child, Andreas Johan Adolf: [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=doep1816&gardpostnr=78393&merk=78393#over>Lenke Here is their marriage in 1883: Lenke Here is the baptism of my grandfather August Olai Adolf: Lenke Here is the baptism of their third child, Thora Marie Andrea:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan H. Trelsgård

Vasbø/Vassbø is a farm in Bjerkreim parish, Rogaland. The clerical district was however called Helleland.btw there is a farm called Sundsbø in Lindås parish not far from Bergen.I assume Torger Andersen Sundsbø is identical to Torgir/Torger Andreassen Vassbø but based on the information provided it is not possible to confirm.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Karlsen

I had a look at the domiciles at the time of the baptisms, and found what appears to be Ma(gda)lenes brother in census records for 1885 and 1891 at the address of the baptism of the first child; Claus Frimans gade no 15 (=9-179): Rasmus Andersen Blaksætter Husfader g Skræddersvend 1845 Indvigens Pr Nordfjord[url="http://www.finn.no/finn/map?toolMode=1&toolMode=&availableAdLayers=20&selectedAdLayers=20&availableAdLayers=30&selectedAdLayers=30&availableAdLayers=50&selectedAdLayers=50&selectedInfoLayers=&fromX=&fromY=&toX=&toY=&altCmd=&projection=Ortofoto&minX=-32669.54&maxX=-32214.46&minY=6734377.0&maxY=6734625.0&mapScale=2343&doAir=1&tabState=&zoom_in.x=26&zoom_in.y=9>LenkeIn 1891 Torger's widow and children lived in Foswinckels Gade 29, where the youngest daughter was born: Malene Anders. K SH E 51 Indvigen Nordfjord Syarbeide Fattigvæsenet Andreas Anders. M S 81 August Anders. M S 84 Thora Anders. K D 87

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Nina and JanThank you, Nina, for finding Rasmus in 1885. You are right, he is Malene's brother. I am frustrated that I can't find my family in 1885. My grandfather had just been born the year before. I thought they were living in Bergen. I was hoping to find them, because it would be the only census when Torgir was still living.Jan, I'm sorry for all the confusion about Sundsbø vs. Vassbø. I got worried when I saw that farm name in the Paupers Census, because thought maybe I had the wrong 'Torgir' all this time!I asked for help translating the contents of the Paupers Census because I thought it might give me some clues about their lives at this difficult time. I could make out the names and birth dates, but had a difficult time reading the information in the 'Anmærkningen' section.If you or someone else could help with that, I would appreciate it very much.Many thanks to you, Nina and Jan, for your kind assistance.Hilsen Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Karlsen

Finally found the fattigmanntall on Digitalarkivet :-) It must be records of the money the wife received after her husband became ill. She seems to have coped pretty well under the circumstances since the entries are so few. On page 220: Manden i Sygehuset for nærvefeber (død) 5/2/80 ... 7 Kr for reparation af symaskine 12/05/90 Kr 15.00 til hjelp til symaskin (help with sewing machine). On page 111: The amount in 1892 seems to be for clogs (shoes) for August, in 1895 it is clothes (klæder) for August, the last line is intelligible to me.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Nina & ArneThank you both so much for the translation! I agree that she seems to have done well, after losing her husband so soon and having to care for three young children on her own. But I'm sure many others found themselves in this situation. However, it's interesting that she never re-married. Isn't it unusual at this time, to stay single?I have a question... the payment dated 5/2/80 is curious. In 1880, I don't know if Torger and Malene had even met. Their first child was born in Nov 1881. I have looked very closely at this date, and it does look like '80'. Could it be a mistake? Torger died Jan 1889. Maybe it should be 1888?Also, what is 'nerve fever'?Thanks again.Hilsen Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Halvor Stokke

HelloThe line with the date 5/2/80 does not look to have anything to do with the 'manden i Sykehuset', but the date for the payment of kr 7,- for repair of the sewing machine.Halvor

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello HalvorI thought that too. But this register covers 1886-1891. If I am reading this entry correctly, the beginning date for payments to Malene was 1.1.89.I guess it doesn't really matter. It's just that Malene and Torgir's lives are mostly a mystery to me.In 1865, Malene was still on her father's farm, Blaksæter in Invik, Sogn og Fjordane. But her father had died and her mother remarried. Some time later, she came to Bergen.Torgir was born in Bjerkreim parish (Rogaland). The Bjerkreim bygdebok shows that he left home at 18, and that he was in Stavanger in 1880, the year before their first child was born (in Bergen).I can't figure out how they met! I don't know if Malene went directly to Bergen from Blaksæter. I thought she did, because her two older brothers live there. Maybe she took a side trip?? I doubt that I will ever know!By the way, do you know what is 'nerve fever'?Thank you for your help.Hilsen Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.