Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#39193] Anna Dorothea Barclay de Tolly

Gjest Pauline Webber
 Del

Gjest Pauline Webber

I am searching for information regarding my ancestor Anna Dorothea Barclay de Tolly, born 1736, married Frederick Christian Holck in 1753 and died in 1806.In particular, I am interested in finding more about her grandfather, Stephan Barclay de Tolly, born in Riga c.1677 and settled in Norway as a solider c.1700, married twice and died in 1732 (Voss)Any information about this family would be very welcome. I understand a little Norwegian so I apologise for writing in English. Pauline Webber

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Åse Kristiansen

Here is one of the debates on Barclay de Tolly on this Forum LenkeIf you search for Barclay up in 'Search/go to number' you'll find more debates about this family.Regards Åse Kr.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Kåre Larsen

Pauline. You tell Stephan is married twice. Do you have the names and dates on his wives? I have just that he was married with Anne Marie ?, and 5 children. I have a textfile on Stephan written in Norwegian from: Slekten Meidell by Sigurd S. Meidell that I can send to you if you are interested?Jan Kåre

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Åse K. Kristiansen

According to the book 'Slekten Meidell' Stephan Barclay de Tolly b.1677 was married to Anne Marie ?, but his grandson Stephan Barclay de Tolly, the brother of your ancestor Anna Dorothea, was married twice.Here are my notes on Stephan Barclay de Tolly:II Stephan Barclay de Tolly født i Livland ca 1677, død på Voss 10/9 1732, uklart om han er sønn eller sønnesønn av nr1,(1: John/Johan Barclay de Tolly, came to Norway 1644) men ingen tvil om at det er snakk om et far/sønn eller far/sønnesønn forhold. Man mener at en bror av Stephan er forfar til Michael Andreas Barclay de Tolly, feltmarskalk og fyrste i Russland. Det har ikke latt seg gjøre å få klarhet i dette i Baltikum elle Russland. Stephan gift i 1701 med Anne Marie ??. Hun er nevnt i en ministerialbok for Voss i 1729 og hun er oppført som fadder i Aurland 3/10 1738. Ekteparet har 1 sønn og 4 døtre. In my notes I have only names of 4 children for Stephan and Anne Marie:1 Anna Sophia b.1702 buried Nov.8th 1769, unmarried. NB 2 Johan Albrecht Christopher, f 1703 in Bergen or near Bergen, died at his farm Salhus, buried Dec.3d 1776 ( Hammers ministerialbok) He was captain at 'Bergenshus landvern' and in Opplandske kompani, participated in Holsten. 3 Mette Dorothea B de T b. 1704 died at Aurlandsvangen May 23th 1782, married to Jakob Gerhardt Meidell. 4 Cathrine Margrethe B de T, mentioned as godmother 1738 in Aurland. Jan Kåre: Who is the fifth child of Stephan B. de T. and Anne Marie?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pauline Webber

Hi AseThank you very much for your information on the Barclay de Tolly family. Inger answered your question about Stephan's fifth child, Eleonore Christine BdeT. She married Johan Ernst Meidell (son of Jacob Gerhardt Meidell who was married to her sister)I have lots of info about the family before they went to Rostock, Livornia (now Latvia). The Barclay brothers, Peter and John, set off from Towie in Banffshire Scotland in 1621 and became silk merchants in Rostock and Peter's son then moved to Riga and began to sign himself 'de tolli' (after Towie). I have a copy (in English) of the 'Letter of Safe Conduct' the young men were given in 1621 when they left Scotland.Peter Barclay's family is very well documented because he is the ancestor of Prince Michael Barclay de Tolly and I have a copy of the complete tree up to 1850.It appears that the Norwegian branch are descended from the other brother, John. However, very little is known about him. If he or his son migrated to Norway by 1644, how was Stephan born in Livland(Latvia)in 1677 ?Regards Pauline

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pauline Webber

Hi Jan KareThank you for posting a reply to me. I have Meta Dorothea as Stephan's first wife. No other information about her but he called his first daughter Meta Dorothea Stephansdatter so it could be correct or not(?). His second wife was Anna Maria Dorothea (Jensdatter) Sprang. They appear to have married ca 1701 so if he was married Meta D. she must have died very soon afterwards. I would love the text file on Stephan BdeT but I'm not sure how much I would understand. Regards Pauline

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pauline Webber

Hi IngerThank you for your reply. I have been looking for you since I saw your message board posts a few years ago. Your email address has changed and I couldn't reach you. I think you are descended from Johan Wilhelm BdeT. I am descended from his sister, Anna Dorothea and Frederick Christian Holck. I have contacted Jens Barclay in the USA and he has sent me his Norwegian Barclay file (4000 names including the Americans) but I have most of the Norwegian names already.I am very interested in finding the newspaper report about the death of E.Morgens Tobiessen Handstoffer(Hauchstopper) Barclay de Tolly. Written by Alexander von Barclay de Tolly, it appears to give lots of information about the 'founder of our race' (Peter) and mentions John's descendants in Norway. The newspaper was the Aundes Tidente of Sept 5, 1907. I can't find a record of this newspaper. Could it be Aurland Tidene perhaps? Could you possibly help me to find this newpapers, please. I have looked all over the internet. It might give more information about John barclay de Tolly and clear up the mystery about him. He also says the race died out in 1907. Who are we then? (I guess he meant the direct male line) I can't find out who this Alexander was either. Regards Pauline

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Eide

John/Johan Barclay de Tolly came to Norway in 1644 in connection with the Hannibal fight, but disappeared after the peace treaty of Brömsebro in 1645. He supposedly went to Germany and then Riga/Livornia. Stephan B de T was born there, approximately 1677, and died in Voss the 10th of September 1732. There is some doubt regarding whether John/Johan is the father or the grandfather of Stephan. All according to the book of Sigurd S. Meidell (published 1950) about the Meidell- family.Regards Inger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Pauline Webber

Hi IngerMy apologies for not thanking you earlier but I didn't realise that you had posted again.From what you say I would assume that the John(Johan) that came to Norway in 1644 is possibly the son of the John Barclay who left Scotland for Rostock/Germany in 1621 and later settled in Riga. However, there was another John Barclay fighting in the Swedish Army around the same time.I have just written to Johan Christian Berle who posted Barclay de Tolly info on the Landmark Genealogy Project website in case he has any more info.Do you have any thoughts about the newspaper article re the death of E. Morgens Hansdatter Barclay de Tolly?Regards Pauline

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.