Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#39494] What happened to Sveinung Sveinungsen STRAND

Gjest Susan Vera
 Del

Gjest Susan Vera

Sveinung Sveinungsen STRAND was married to the daughter of Torbjørn Halverson DALEN of Telemark. I don't know when he came to America but he was in Iowa some time before June 09, 1902 which was the day he married Tony Halvorsdtr (B:May 08, 1881 Norway). He was born October 1869 in Norway according to 1910 census. They had 5 children: Selmer Theodore December 24, 1902; Julia Amelia March 08, 1905; Alma Gunhild April 07, 1906; Gina Inga September 20, 1908; Marie Tilda April 06, 1911. This is a portion of a letter Marie wrote 'My Dad went back to Norway to visit his relatives when I was 12 years old, then he left me with some people he worked for and rented out his farm. That became my home until I finished High School . . . Aunt Anna met my foster parents when she and Frank came to Iowa to visit when I was in High School.' I figure he returned to Norway about 1923.This is Tony's obituary: From Thompson Courier, Thompson, Ia. 24 July 1913One of the most tragic accidents we have so far had occasion to chronicle has occurred last Monday afternoon, when the life of Mrs. S. S. Strand was crushed out almost instantly. The accident occurred on the farm about 3 1/2 miles east and 1/2 mile north of town, while Mrs. Strand was engaged in helping her husband make hay. A bumble bee so annoyed the horses that they started to run. Their sudden start threw the unfortunate lady off the wagon to the ground where the heavy wheel of the vehicle passed directly over her head, crushing it and extinguishing the spark of life instantly. Deceased leaves to mourn her death; a husband and 4 children, of which the youngest is not yet 3 years old. Born in Winnebago County, IA. In 1902 she married S. S. Strand. Her parents were Mr. and Mrs. Torbjørn Halvorson, who some years ago moved to Sauk Center, MN. The funeral takes place tomorrow (Friday) at 2 p. m. from the West Prairie church, Rev. Malmin officiating. Burial in West West Prairie Cemetery, King Township, Winnebago Co., IA.Life must have been hard for him with 5 small children. I don't know if he remarried but according to family records it doesn't look like he did in America.If there is a chance of finding out what happened to him it would be wonderful. We don't know if he ever made it back to Norway or not.Susan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Gunn Huglen

That was a very sad story! I have searched 1900 cencus i Norway. The name Sveinung Sveinungsen I found lived in Telemark. ( age does not fit?)LenkeI am not sure this is your man. I will try to find the name in emigrantlists for you.Best regards from Gunn.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Gunn Huglen

I found a man named Sveinung Olsen Strand here?LenkeHe is from Telemark too, but his name is Olsen not Sveinungsen, and I think the emigration i 1904 is too late?Gunn

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Gunn Huglen

Here is a man named Sveinung Sveinungsen born i Telemark: LenkeThere are a lot of places and farms named Strand in Norway. Do you know from what part of Norway Sveinung came from?Gunn

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Gunn Huglen

Here is a lady named Thori Halvorsdatter , e. in 1891?LenkeFirst name like Tony ? There are female names like (TONE, THORI,Torie ,Toril, Tore )in Norway about 1880.Gunn

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Johan Arthur Hansen

Sveinung is a common name in Strand in Rogaland. Particular the farm named IDSOE! Johan Arthur Hansen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tove Tjøstheim Eek

The Sveinung Sveinungsen mentioned above (7)did not emigrate to Amerika neither father or son , the farmhistory book for Strand tells they both lived and died at Idsø farm . Tove

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Vera

Wow, I wish I knew more about him but, I only have what I am able to find in the census. I have to go back to the ones I have and look and see if there is an imigration date for Sveinung. All I have for now is what I wrote. I am going to try and see if there are any other records where he lived in Winnebago County, Iowa.Torbjorn was born in Sauland, Dalen farm, Hjartdal, Telemark and Aaste was born on Lia farm. I am not sure right now if Toni was born at Lia or Dalen but I do know that she and Sveinung were married in Iowa in June of 1902, Sveinung born Oct 1869, Marie was born in 1911 and when she was 12 he left her so in the 1922 - 1924 range he would be 53-55 years of age. I will look tonight through the census and try to contact a researcher in the county they lived in and see if I can find anything else that might help.Thanks again Sue

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Vera

I found in the 1920 census that Sveinung Strand imigrated in 1892 and was naturalized in 1902 in Winnebago county, Iowa.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Vera

I neglected to thank those who extended their time and efforts in this forum for me. I appreciate the time they spent on looking for Sveinung Sveinungsen.I was trying to look for him in the immigration records for Norway but I am not good with the language and don't get far. Is there someone who might be able to help with this? He immigrated in 1892. I am hoping that the record will tell where he was from.Again my sincere thanks Sue

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Vera

This is possible. I am going to keep this in my files. It is possible that who ever gave the information about him on the census in 1910. I still haven't had any luck with the immigration records. He came to America in 1892 and went back to Norway some time between 1922 and 1924.Oct 1869 and Feb 1870 are only a few months apart. I think that this is the closest record found so it maybe the one.Thank you Sue

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Vera

Gunn, Thank you for the map. For some reason I am not able to get anything by clicking the strand link. I get an error message and then tried to do a search but got another error message. I guess the program isn't compatible with my server or something but from the map I can see where there is a Strand gaard. I will try again later. Maybe I can get through then.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Vera

Ron, This one looks like it could be him. I noticed that there it says Vinje S. og Pr. Could the S. stand for Strand? Are there any Strand farms in the area that he may have worked for or something since he was about 24 when he immigrated.And Gunn, Thank you for the link for the Stave kirke. This is different from the one I had. I love that old kirke. A while back I was told that this is where my great grandparents Torbjorn Halverson and Aaste Olsdatter may have been married May 16,1877. I wonder if they did.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Susan there are 26 Srand farms in Telemark. BUT there is one in Raulands parish next door to Vinje parish.And Anne Svenungsdatter came from Raulands.Here is the family in 1865 Lofthus. You might recognize some of the siblings names. LenkeIf your Svenung was Naturalised ( not required before 1900 ) or took out US citizenship he would have listed his parents names and where he came from.He could have been born in Lofthus but baptised in Strand.There is one Svenung Svenungsen in Raulands but he was born in 1857. Good luck. Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

There is a bustad Dalen in Raulands. Also in 1875 Census for farm Ødegaarden,Raulands Aaste Olsdatter b.1843 Hjertdal parish is working as a budeie ( milkmaid )tienestepige I couldnt find Torbjørn Halvorsen.The name could be spelled different back then.But it looks like this is the area your ancestors came from. Another possibility is Halvorsens knew Svenung Bjørnsen.He was the Sheriff!! haha! Svennung Bjørnsen b.5 Nov.1820 Rotjorn,Vinje. Parents Bjørn Rikardsen & Anne Aslaksen Svennung marr.Anne Svenungsdtr.on 23 June 1843 in Vinje,Telemark. Hope this is your family. Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Johan Arthur Hansen

I believe Hiterdal is the same as Heddal and i belive Sveinung and his brother Ole are here:

bilete0846.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Takk Johan This is the most probable family for Susan. Heddal in Notodden next to Hjertdal. Svennung Svennumgsen b.6 July 1843 Sauer,STRAND Parents Svennung Johansen & Mari Halvorsen Married Gunhild Olsdatter 4 May 1869 Heddal Gunhild b.19 Sept.1837 Hitterdal Parents Ole Halvorsen & Anne Johannesen Svennung b.22 Feb.1870 chr.6 Mar.1870 Heddal Gunild b.17 Oct 1871 chr.29 Oct 1871 Heddal ( Svennung Olsen? & Gunhild Olsdr parents ) Ole b.22 Feb.1872 chr.10 Mar 1872 Heddal Mari b.22 June 1873 chr.6 July 1873 Heddal Tone b.30 Mar 1874 chr.12 April 1874 Heddal Johannes b.16 April 1875 chr.9 May 1875 Heddal Halvor b.10 April 1878 d.19 April 1878Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Vera

It appears, I think, that you are both right. I know that this Svenung that is in the immigation record is correct so we go from there. I forgot about Family search and should have looked there for clues but one thing we have to keep in mind with the Family search site. The information is compiled by individuals and contributed to the site. It has no documentation so cannot always be totally trusted. But, it does give enough correct information to find the records in a home country. Please don't misunderstand. I am just trying to explain the difference in dates of birth here.I believe that the Family Search record could be of the same family Ron found in the records from Norway. So, I am very happy about this. I have taken all of this into my files for guide lines.Thank you both for your help SusanP.S. Do the digital records also have record of people returning to Norway?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Susan,I have found Dalen in Sauerhad just below STRAND in Notodden.I also found a lot on Svennungs family. If you would contact me at bergiverson@shaw.ca I will forward it. I also have a good map of the area so you can see where the families came from.Svennung Bjørnsen from Althus was not Svennungs family. Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.