Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#39948] Oslo deaf school records -1860-1870's

Gjest jan webb
 Del

Gjest jan webb

Does anyone have any records for the deaf schools in Oslo ?My gg grandparents were both deaf and attended a deaf school in Oslo. I am not sure of the name of it? It is possible that they live at the school or near by, and also could have been married at the school too?(Johanne) Petronelle Jensdatter(step father name was Brynildsen )-born 1846 Idd Norway and Klaudius Magnus Pedersen born 1831- Stange. Petronelle was trained to be a seamstress and Klaudius was a shoemaker.Thanks/ Mange Takk

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

Klaudius move to Christiani in LenkeI belive he went to 'school' in Trondheim 1841-47, and the autumn 1849 he moved home again.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lillian Kristiansen

Museum for deaf: LenkeMay be you can write and ask for information about the school in Oslo?Klaudius Magnus and Johanne Petronelle lives in Sandakerveien(Street)49 in Christiania in 1887 when their son Peter Bernhard beeing confirmed.Sagene Churchbook Mini 2 1880 - 1897 2/7, number 74, page 29.Peter Bernhard Pedersen Born 4/10 1872, christening 27/10 1872. Born in Kristiania, lives in Sandakerveien 49. Shoemaker(Svend) Klaudius Magnus Pedersen, Wife Johanne Petronelle Pedersen.Vaccination certificate by Bentsen 30/9 1886. Character in religion: Nearly good.Written later: Published marriage banns: 27/3 1896.Mvh.LillianCraft certificate= Svennebrev. He is learning this occupation.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Elin Galtung Lihaug

'Lærling', a person who is learning an occupation, is an 'apprentice' in English.'Svenn'/'svend', a person who has a craft certificate, is a 'journeyman' in English.So Klaudius was a journeyman shoemaker.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Kundskapsforlagets Engelsk blå ordbok utgitt 2004 er altså bare å kaste i søpla den da???

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Janice Webb

I am sorry I do not understand this? Could you please translate the above posting for me?Do you think ' Written later: Published marriage banns: 27/3 1896. ' Might be refering to Peter Bernhard and his wife Caroline Elise F Amundsen?As I have it that Klaudius died 12 Mar 1896 in Oslo.Apparently Peter & Caroline were not married in 1892 when their son Magnus Olaf Klaudius Pettersen was born on 5 Nov 1892

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Andersen

It has probably a reference to a definition given in the refered Norwegian-English dictionary (. which can be thrown away?)I have not checked it so I don't understand either.However, journeyman as defined in Lenke seems to be synonym to the norwegian term 'daglønner'. I'm not sure if he has a certificate or not.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Janice Webb

God Dag, I was always told that Klaudius was trained at the Deaf school to be a Shoemaker and Petronelle was trained to be a Seamstress. I am not sure if they got a certificate or not?I am trying to find out the marriage date for Klaudius & Petronella ?And the Marriage date for their son Peter & his wife Caroline.It would be wonderful if someone could help me with either of these dates?Mange takk

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I am sorry Janice - it was only me who in a way answered nr. 5 and 6 and wrote that I could throw my new Dictionary in the garbage because the translation I did was to bad!!Some words translated from Norwegian to english get different opinion to you in Canada/USA and UK. So it´s not easy always to find the right word for translation. Your own words are the best I think - training to be a shoemaker!In nr.8 you ask for that date 'Written later' - Yes its before wedding for Peter and Caroline. I can´t find their wedding in some of my churchbooks - perhaps they was married in the town where Caroline was born!!Do you know where Magnus Olaf was born in 1892? Nr.11 has found the death for Claudius Magnus for you - as you said he died 12/3 1896. He was born in Stange, Hedmark county(Canada:Province) He lived in Toftesg.54 in Oslo and died of Tuberculosis.Lillian

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Lillian (7, 12),According to the 1865 census (2), Klaudius was a 'skomagersvend'.A 'skomakersvenn' (journeyman shoemaker) has received his 'svennebrev' (journeyman certificate) after completing his training as 'lærling' (apprentice).To become a 'mester' (master) he has to train further, being employed and learning with a master shoemaker. When that training is finished, he will get his 'mesterbrev' (master certificate).Tor (9),What you are referring to - daglønner - relates to the etymology of the word since 'journey' was one day's work. But one of the definitions of journeyman, see the line above, is: 'a skilled worker who is employed by another'. This fits very well here when the journeyman is employed by the master. Note that *a skilled worker* knows his craft and has completed his first training.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Janice Webb

Petter always said the family farm was called 'Allen' but I have yet to find any reference to the farm. I am not sure if it was in Stange or Oslo area?(not sure if he meant Alen-with the little 'o on top/ or Ullen??)Klaudius' parents were Peter Svendsen Wold(born 2 Feb 1783-Romedal Stange and his mother was Marthe Pedersdatter (born 29 Aug 1802)Ostre Toten StangeKlaudius was the oldest in his family & there were 2-3 other children who were also deaf but died. He had a sister Elvine Sophie Pedersdatter(born 1835 (I think) married Oliv Eriksen(born 1840-stange)& moved to Oslo too.He also had 2 brothers Peter (born 1837) & Gustav(born 1840)- I am not sure what happened to them?Klaudius & Petronella 's children were:1.Petter Bernhard- born 1872 2.Marthe Marie-born 1876(married Frithjoff Nicolay FrantZen) 3.Ragna Petra(born 1880)(married Ragnvald Hansen & 4.Olaf Klaudius( born 1886)(married Jennie Schiel) (Olaf's son Norman actually took the farm name as his last name in Canada)When they say 'Published marriage banns: 27/3 1896.' This is just the public notice of their intention to marry right? It is not the actually marriage date- is it??Mange takk for all your help!!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hmmm.... where is the start of my message? Here is the whole message:Janice,A marriage was usually published three times during the weeks before it actually took place, so the marriage would have been at a later date.... and for those who still think that 'journeyman' is not the correct word for a 'svenn', take a look here [url="http://www.leominster.mec.edu/cte_plumbing.htm>http://www.leominster.mec.edu/cte_plumbing.htm where you can see that the salaries are increasing for apprentice - journeyman - and master plumbers (rørleggere)... - or this site

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tom Harald Dahl

Hello.I have noticed that you are looking for your gg parents history in Norway. The deaf community in Norway is very strong, and the norwegian deaf culture and history is very long and well documented. The oldest deaf organization was established in 1879 in Oslo, and it's still living today! Maybe they have some information? Their homepage is [url="http://www.ofd.no>http://www.ofd.no. This page is only in Norwegian.In Norway we have 5 deafchurches. Follow this link. Maybe they have some information about your gg parents.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest janice webb

Thank-you for your information,I have emailed the Deaf school in Oslo and they are going to try to help me too.I am still looking for marriage dates for1)Klaudius Magnus Pedersen & Johanne Petronella(Jensdatter-Brynildsen)2)And also for Peter/Petter Bernhard Pedersen/Pettersen and Caroline Elise F Amundsen/ Johnsdatter. Banns filed 27 May 1896- so I assume they were probably married in 1896??Also looking for record of birth of Caroline Elise F Amundsen= July 19 1875 i Oslo.Her Parents=Karen (kajsa) Nilsdatter(bn 1836-Varmland) & Johan Fredrik Amundson(born 11 May 1863-Eidsvold)-married 14 Dec 1863- Domkirken OsloThanks for your help/ Mange takk Janice:)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tom Harald Dahl

Claudius sister was also deaf (as you wrote): Elvine Sophie Pedersen (Pedersdatter) b. 02.03.1835 in Stange, deafschool in Trondheim, moved to Oslo, not married.This information did I got from a deaf friend. Hope this information will help you a litte bit. Tom Harald Dahl

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...
Gjest janice webb

* Census year: 1900 * Municipality: Stange * Municipality number: 0417 * Name of domicile: Kirkenær af ØvergaardNumber of persons in this domicile: 4 Name Family status Marital status Occupation Birth year Place of birth Ethnicity Oliv Eriksen hm e Kokkekone ved Gjæstebud. 1840 Stange Hed Elvine Sofie Pedersdatter fl ug Væverske (Haandvæv) 1836 Stange Hed Kristian Larsen hf g Staldkar under Gaardsbrug 1841 Stange Hed Petra Ottesen hm g Staldkarlkone 1829 Stange HedIt looks like Elvine did marry ..Does anyone know if she had any children?Mange Takk Janice

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 9 måneder senere...
Gjest Jan Webb

Hi Tom,I have not received any reply from the deaf school??Can you tell me anything more about Elvine Sofie?? It looks like she did get married (see above)- BUt I don't know if she had any children?? Maybe they were deaf also??I still have not been able to find out when Peter & Caroline actually married?? Or when Petronelle & Klaudius got married??I did find the record for Caroline's birth in 1875 in Oslo(Kristiania)- Her mother was Karen Amundsen(nee Nielsen)- born Varmland July 1836- father was listed as Ole NielsenI always thought Caroline's father was Johan Amundsen( born 1939- Eidsvold)- so I know nothing about Ole Nielsen???Can you help me ?Thank-you so much ! Jan :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 år senere...
Gjest Janice Webb

Hi again,I am wondering if there are any deaf people in Oslo that might be able to help me? I would like to find the marriage of Claudius Magnus Pederson & (Johanne) Petronella Jensdatter Brynildsen (probably in Oslo around 1872)Tom mentioned he had a deaf friend so perhaps that friend might be able to help me or email me? jilawebb@hotmail.comMange takk Jan:)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roar Tvetmarken

Hi Jan,Found this entry in the 1875 census for Christiania: Lenke. Need to try and find the actual wedding date and location.- roar -

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roar Tvetmarken

Hi again Jan,Just noticed that I repeated the information provided by Berit Knudsen in (2) above - beklager, Berit. According to entry (24), Claudius Magnus, Johanne Petronelle, and their son Petter Bernhard lived at Aasengade 7 in 1875. This location 'belonged' to Sagene Kreds; however, available records only go back to 1880 for Sagene.- roar -

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.