Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#42099] Emigrant Ingebjørg Nedrebø from Lysefjorden

Gjest David Walters
 Del

Gjest David Walters

I have an ancestor from Lysefjord named Engaborg (or Ingebjoerg) Nedrebo. She was born in 1827. I have a detailed story of the circumstances of her emmigration to America (see below) written by her daughter. I'd like to post it to the web page to see if someone in Norway recognizes her.David Now I shall endeavor to relate something of my mothers family. As stated above. She also was of the Pioneers of Wis, making her home near Whitewater. I will relate how she happened to immigrate to America.Her home in Norway was at Lysefyorden not very far from Stavanger. She lived on a farm with her folks and was their oldest child. A young man by name John Johnson came one day, to ask her hand in marriage. He had sold out and wished to immigrate to America. Her father (Peder Nedrebo) said no. She was to marry a certain young man of his choice, and being his oldest, she was to inherit his home there. Johnson considered it final, and went back home without speaking to mother as the custom was Parents Authourity, at the time. Mothers uncle, her fathers younger brother, came one day later, offered to take mother and a younger Sister to Stavanger for an outing. He would take them to one of two holydays. One was the embarking of the Emigrants to America. They chose to see the Emigrants board the Ship, bidding them good bye.Shortly after Johnson had been to see her father, her brother Dan next in age to mother, told her what Johnson wanted, on his previous visit. Her father said it might be alright if he had not intended to go to America. Mother said to her brother, I am not so sure about that, here we work so hard to make a living there they will have a better chance in that new country. So later the day arrived that her uncle take them to Stavanger to see the Emegrants Embark. Mother and her younger sister were ready, they were to go by boat. They were starting for the boat near by, when Grandmother said 'girls I dont feel right about you going somehow.' Mother had a little chest with lunch in her hand, she stopped set the chest down and said, well if you say so we will not go. Her father said waving his hand, 'Go on girls.' So they went.They arrived at Stavanger in the early morning hours. To early to venture up town. They pulled up beside another boat made their boat fast, and desided to rest until time later to go up. While setting to rest in the boat, a man in the neighbor boat pulled aside a canvass and saw who the new comers were. Then gave a hearty laugh, as he recognized them. He was none other than John Johnson.When came time to go into the city. They started, and Johnson requested the privilege to walk mother. Her uncle walked with her Sister. So Mr J. had a chance to ask mother if she was to marry man her father had mentioned. Mother said no. So he pled his case and on much urging, she decided to go with him to America his destination. He had his ticket and bought one for her, so later that is what happened. They embarked for America.Mother told us children this story this story, and when she was there I said to her. 'Mother how could you leave your Parents never to see them again.' I was but a young girl. She then broke down and weaped, saying 'Oh it was love.'Well they started for America and on their way a letter overtook her from her father who reproved her for leaving. She wrote back to her father and told him if she had done wrong, she hoped He would punish her here and not hereafter. They arrived at a Settlement of Norwegians near Whitewater. Remained engaged for a year before marrying. Both working to make a home. Built a small log house where they started living after being married. Mother had three children by her first husband Oliver Martha, and Julia. Mothers health was not very good after a few years of married life. She had jaundice. Said if some one had said she would live she would not have believed it. Her husband said to her, 'you wont die, I have prayed you may live, to leave these little children that would be too bad.' She did get well. But her Husband instead, took sick with Typhoid Fever and died.Later my Father married her, helped her raise her children and had seven of his own by her. I was second of Fathers children.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tove Tjøstheim Eek

The Ingeborg mentioned above is most likely Ingeborg Persdatter b at Litle Nerabø june 19 1826 , according to the farmhistory book she died in 1919 february 20. She married first in America Johannes Halvarson b 1819 May 5 and her second marriage Ola Sjurson . Also according the farmhistory book Ingeborg eloped to America in 1849 together with Johannes the cotters son .Tove

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.