Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#42203] Bergethe Øyen, f. 1841, Trondheim. Emigrerte til USA 1886

Gjest Svein Davidsen
 Del

Gjest Svein Davidsen

I 1886 emigrerte Bergethe Øyan med en datter og 3 sønner fra Trondheim til Brookings, Dakota. Jeg leter etter Bergethe's mann og også Bergethe's foreldre. I FT1865 arbeider en Bergethe Granaas, f. 1842 Strinden, som Tjenestepike for Garvemester Eggen i Trondheim. Er dette 'vår Bergethe'? En Tjenestedreng, Ole Ols.Øian, f. 1847 i Størdahlen, arbeider også der. Er dette Bergethe's mann? Og emigrerte han til USA før Bergethe? Det er flere Olsen og Oien i Brookings, Dakota, i 1880 tellingen, men ingen som passer med Ole re. alderen. Er det noen som kan hjelpe med disse to?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei Svein! Can you give the first names of Bergethe's daughter and 3 sons and maybe their year of birth? There is a 1895 South Dakota state census that can be searched...in addition to the Federal US censuses. Do you have any more information on Bergethe's parents? mvh fra Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Svein Davidsen

Hi Patty. The daughter is Oluffia, b 1874, sons Sigurd b.1877, Arne b.1881, and Einar b.1883. I'm trying to do this tracing for Sigurd's granddaugther, Karen, whom I have just met, and she does not have any knowledge of her Norwegian roots beyond the fact that Sigurd was born in Norway. The family took the name of Oien in the US and I have found Sigurd's marriage to Clarissa Mabel Barney and Karen's mother is Freda b.11 April 1911 in Oregon. There are also two brothers, Donald and Sigurd. Donald apparently had two daughters which Karen has lost contact with. If you can trace Sigurd's father in US it would be great because them I can do the follow up searches in Norway.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty  Dahl

Hei igjen Svein! Do you know what state Sigurd lived in when he married Clarissa? I guess the family moved to Oregon at some time...do you know when? Do you know which county or town in Oregon they lived? If I am looking for Sigurd's father, I am wondering in which state I should be looking in 1895, or 1900...or perhaps you don't know? mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Hi, I guess Sven is refering to this marriage: [url="http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/IGI/individual_record.asp?recid=100399747326&lds=1&region=12&regionfriendly=Norway&frompage=99>LenkeSigurd C. OIEN, Birth: About 1877 in Norway, Death: CaliforniaSpouse: Clarissa Mabel BARNEYMarriage: 05 JUN 1909 Ashland, Jackson, OregonWhile this record

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Mabel Clarissa BARNEY is listed as born 16 Aug 1882 in Kearney, Buffalo, Nebraska, dead 1967.Parents: Ruben Edgar Barney & Mary Belle WilsonSo that's probably why Sigurd also was listed with the same birthplace...Jan Peter

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Eunice Bullis

I'm looking for my husband's ancestry. His grandmother's name was Carolina Berthina Olava Belgum, and she was born in Nord Aurveldres, Norway about April 1877. She had a sister Johanna born about 1875 in Christiana. Their mother died in the black diphtheria epidemic; and the family was prohibited from attending the funeral due to it being so contagious. The father took the 2 daughters to relatives, and was never heard from again. (He was Swedish). The relatives raised the daughters. Johanna came to America and worked for a while; then sent money or a ticket for Carolina to come to America. Carolina married Peter Svartaas (Swartos) in 1895. He died in 1925; Carolina died in 1957. I would like to find Carolina's ancestry.Thank you for any help you can give.Eunice Bullis

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Eunice Bullis

I'm not sure I got my last post in the correct forum - I was surprised to see Brookings, Dakota come up, as I didn't enter that; but that IS WHERE our grandmother ended up in America.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei Svein! I have done some searching and so far have not located Sigurd with his mother or father. In 1900 Sigurd is in the military and living in the Philippines. He is listed as Sigurd C. Oien born June 1877 in Norway...says his 'home' is Adrian, Minnesota. Currently Adrian is in Nobles county. But, I can not find any other Oien family living there in 1900. In 1910 Sigurd is married to Mabel and living in Ashland, Jackson county Oregon. The year he immigrated is listed differently in several census: In 1910..says he immigrated in 1892, in 1920 says he immigrated in 1890 and in 1930 says he immigrated in 1888. In the 1930 census Ruben Barney age 86, father-in-law is living with the family. I don't know if any of this helps you at all... Can you look for Sigurd's immigration at Digitalarkivet? Or maybe you have done this already... mvh fra Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Svein Davidsen

Hei Patty! Thank you for the information. The information I have found on Emigranter fra Trondheim is that Bergethe and her children, incl. Sigurd, emigrated on the ship Domino 22 Sept 1886. But it could of course be that Sigurd returned to Norway on (a) visit(s) and thus arrived at other dates too. I think it is strange that we cannot find any trace of Sigurd's father. Could it be that he died after the birth of the youngest son, Einar, in 1883 and that Bergethe was a widdow in 1886? Against that is that she is listed as 'g' i.e. married, on the Emigration listing. As for Bergethe's parents (your question in (2))I have a good candidate in Trondheim in FT 1865 Jens Christian Granaas, Murmester (Head Mason), and his wife Wilhelmina, but apart from the correct name and right ages no proof yet. Thank you for helping me look for Sigurd's father.Hi Eunice, yes I'm afraid you posted your message on the wrong thread. As my question is similar you may be lucky and find someone with some information, but you stand a much better chance if you start a new thread with a more appropriate title, i.e. the name you are searching for. It is quite a co-incident that your Norwegian relative also emigrated to Brookings, Dakota. I, by the way, looked at the 1900 census for Nordre Aurdal, Oppland fylke, and there are quite a few Belgum listed there. But if I understand you correctly Caroline was already in the US by then.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Svein Davidsen

Hei Jan Peter! Ja, jeg fulgte de samme spor som du i US, plus ancestry.com der jeg fant noen som ser ut til å være interesert i samme familien. Hva jeg ikke kan forstå er hvorfor jeg ikke finner Bergethe med mann og datteren Oluffia, f. 1874, i FT1875. Tror nå jeg må begynne å se på de skanna kirkebøkene for Trondheim for å se om jeg kan finne giftemålet. Har du noen annet forslag Jan Peter?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei igjen Svein! I should probably also mention that I found a John and Emma Oien living in Brookings, Dakota Territory in 1880. I wonder if this is who Bergethe went to see when she immigrated?..or perhaps it is a different family. This John immigrated in 1869 and he was born about 1847. He and Emma (b. 1853) are in Lake Hendricks, Brookings Co in the 1900 census...they have 5 children...the first child, Julia, was born in Minnesota in 1878...the rest of the children were born in S. Dakota... Emma immigrated in 1875. mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Hi, I think I've found them in the 1900 census for Adrian, Nobles, Minnesota! :-)Oien Peter, Head, born Jul-1841, 58 yrs, im. 1883, 17 yrs in the US Tailor, married 28 yrs .Oien Annie, Wife, born Apr-1839, 60 yrs, im. 1886, 14 yrs in the US -, married 28 yrs, 6 children, 5 livingOien Fansug, Daughter, born May-1875, 21 yrs, im. 1886, 14 yrs in the US Saleswomen ?Oien Arne, Son, born Jun-1879, 20 yrs, im. 1886, 14 yrs in the US Salesman Hard.Oien Einer, Son, born Jul-1882, 17 yrs, im. 1886, 14 yrs in the US Clerk BankLenkeJan Peter

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Peter Martin OYEN, born 27 Jul 1841, Domkirken, Trondheim, Sor Trondelag [url="http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/VR/individual_record.asp?recid=29145318&lds=4&region=12&regionfriendly=Norway&frompage=99>Lenke.......Peder Martin OIEN, born 27 Jul 1841, Father: Peder Kristian OIENAnne Birgitte NILSDR, born: 09 Apr 1840, father: Nils NILSENMarriage: 14 Jan 1872, Domkirken, Bergen, Hordaland, Norway Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

She is from Førde in Sogn & Fjordane:ANE BERGITTE NILSEN Birth: 09 APR 1840 Christening: 20 APR 1840, Forde, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway PArets: Nils Nilsen & Stefine Olsdr[url="http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/igi/individual_record.asp?recid=500223614524&lds=1&region=12&regionfriendly=Norway&juris1=&juris2=&juris3=&juris4=&regionfriendly=&juris1friendly=&juris2friendly=&juris3friendly=&juris4friendly=>LenkeHere she is as a servant in Bergen in 1865:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Kjempefint Jan Peter!! Looks like you found them...for sure!!!! Funny that my searches in 1900 did not locate the correct Oien family... I am really happy this did not become a 'dead end'! In 1900, I had make a search for 'Sigurd Oien' without specifying any location...I was surprised to find him in the Philippines! Svein, I hope your American relative, Karen, enjoys knowing what has been found... mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Svein Davidsen

Jan Peter, what can I say. This is impressive work! I was completely sidetracked with the 'Bergethe' name and the fact that a Bergethe was working with an Ole Oien in Trondheim. I thought that was too much of a co-incident, but of course it was wrong and misleading. Shall now prepare this nicely and present to Karen, Sigurd's granddaughter.Hi Patty, it was great that you found Sigurd in the army in 1900 as it allowed Jan Peter to find the family in Nobles county. You say it was surprising to find him in the Philipines, but equally strang I guess is the fact that Sigurd's son Sigurd died in Guadalcanal in WW2, the other son, Donald, died in Hawai. Some western attraction/fate maybe! Thank you all.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Hi again,yes, it was Patty's great note about Sigurd's hometown Adrian, Minnesota who guided me to the family... Thanks! :-)Btw; the 1900-census said Anne har given birth to 6 children, 5 living in 1900. This girl died 3 months old:Stine Nikoline Petersdatter Oyen, born 02 Jul 1877, christening: 29 Jul 1877, Trondheim, Sor-Trondelag, Norway. Dead: 04 Oct 1877. Parents: Peter Martin Oyen & Anne Birgithe NielsenCollection Details: Vor Frue kirke, Trondheim, Sor-Trondelag, NorwayLenkeJan Peter

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Svein Davidsen

Hei Roger, These could very well be the mother and one of the sons. I'm not a member of Ancestry so I don't have access to the details. Anne was born in 1840 so she would have been 83 when she died and Arne was actually born in June 1879 in Trondheim, but that could be close enough. Or did you mean that an Arne was born in Nobles?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Well it could have been poor math or language skills, hmm..older is better for staying home, i suspose! Anyway, i asked the local library for help, but i do not know how far to go with this; so far: Arnie helped found a bank, and later started a bowling alley which contained a lunch counter(pre ww1). Peter M owned a tailor shop. No clue about why Peter seems to have moved to Pennington county prior to 1910 census; i suspose his dc would help, if not yet found. Still looking for obits(at the library); ...perhaps someone locally can be asked to look for stones with dates; or the dc's may be obtained, i am not sure how to do that, Roger. ps.. 4 Oiens are together in the local cemetery index as...Arnie, Enir, Anna, and Peter.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Svein Davidsen

Hi Roger, I didn't realize/think that you were in US. I saw Lindenhurst and thought: I don't know where in Norway that is, but then I have not lived in Norway for over 50 years so that isn't too strange! Don't go to too much trouble finding any more information. At the moment I have plenty, and your latest info that the 4 are together at the local cemetery is brilliant. 'Local' does that mean Adrian town or Nobles? My Minnesota geography is not too good!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Hmmm, i don't know where Sveits is; but next week i may have a little more info; for this week: Fannie Andrea, born May 21 (1873/75?) to Peter and Annie, marries Henry Herman Martens, born 17 apr 1873(Jefferson,Warren,Iowa-see1880)- 29 mar 1952 in Adrian. Has daughter Esther J, born ca 1904. In the 1930 as Martus, lives in Adrian village in a $8,000 property and is retired from farming)--very nice, i think(unless injured, of course). Obits for Fannie and Henry in mail to me; i could use an email address, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.