Gå til innhold
Arkivverket
Gjest Eric Hudson

[#42280] Emigranter over Kristiania 1871-1930

Gjest Eric Hudson

I'm sorry to ask in English, but I don't speak Norwegian.According to Ellis Island records my ancestor Olaf Olsen Hvatum (age 18 of Brunlanes) was on the ship 'Oscar II' from Kristiania to New York that departed 5 June 1902. When I look at your database 'Emigranter over Kristiania 1871-1930' I can find other people who are in the Ellis Island records for that ship (for example Oline Hansen and family of Kristiania) but not Olaf Hvatum or several other passengers (for example Karl Larsen of Tonsberg and Oscar Ødemark of Kristiania). Is there a reason that not all passengers would be listed in your database?Thank you for your help, and for this wonderful database.Eric

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
Gjest Oddbjørn Johannessen

Could this Olaf (Olsen) Juliussen be a possibillity: Lenke However, it's the right date and the right ship.

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

I'm sorry! He is far too old.

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Another candidate: Lenke. The ship is not OSCAR II, and the date doesn't match exactly - but take a look at the name and age...

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
Gjest Eric Hudson

That is the right ship -- Olaf Olsen and Adelia Larsson both appear on the same Ellis Island page as Olaf Hvatum (who should be born ~1884). In case you are interested, here is the link to the image I mentioned:LenkeThanks for looking! Eric

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

The link (4) got wrong. It should have been pointing at Olaf O. Kvattum, 17 years old in 1901: Lenke

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
Gjest Ketil Firing Hanssen

There's no reason to believe that Olaf Olsen Kvattum leaving Biri in 1901 is identical to Olaf Olsen Hvatum from Brunlanes arriving in New York in 1902.The manifest states that he is going to his cousin L. Lauritsen in Philadelphia, together with L. Lauritsen's brother Ole Lauritsen from Helgeroen.Here's Ole Lauritsen in 1900:[url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=183&filnamn=f00726&gardpostnr=654&personpostnr=3946&merk=3946#ovre>LenkeAnd this is probably Olaf Olsen Hvatum in 1900:

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
Gjest Ketil Firing Hanssen

And finally his emigration record, he obviously embarked in Larvik:Lenke

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
Gjest Eric Hudson

Thank you very much! The emigration record is obviously correct. I hadn't thought to look for earlier dates from other locations. But where does the name Hvatum come from if it isn't mentioned in the 1900 census? Is it a farm name? And would 'cousin' be literal so that I can assume Olaf Hvatum's and L. Lauritsen's parents are siblings?Thanks again, Eric

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
Gjest Per Helge Seglsten

If you look under the post 'gard' ('farm') in the 1900 census, you see thst the farm he lived on was named Vatum Østre (Eastern Vatum). So your assumption that his surname is a farm name is correct. Many orwegian surnames origin from farm names.

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive