Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#42280] Emigranter over Kristiania 1871-1930

Gjest Eric Hudson
 Del

Gjest Eric Hudson

I'm sorry to ask in English, but I don't speak Norwegian.According to Ellis Island records my ancestor Olaf Olsen Hvatum (age 18 of Brunlanes) was on the ship 'Oscar II' from Kristiania to New York that departed 5 June 1902. When I look at your database 'Emigranter over Kristiania 1871-1930' I can find other people who are in the Ellis Island records for that ship (for example Oline Hansen and family of Kristiania) but not Olaf Hvatum or several other passengers (for example Karl Larsen of Tonsberg and Oscar Ødemark of Kristiania). Is there a reason that not all passengers would be listed in your database?Thank you for your help, and for this wonderful database.Eric

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Eric Hudson

That is the right ship -- Olaf Olsen and Adelia Larsson both appear on the same Ellis Island page as Olaf Hvatum (who should be born ~1884). In case you are interested, here is the link to the image I mentioned:LenkeThanks for looking! Eric

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ketil Firing Hanssen

There's no reason to believe that Olaf Olsen Kvattum leaving Biri in 1901 is identical to Olaf Olsen Hvatum from Brunlanes arriving in New York in 1902.The manifest states that he is going to his cousin L. Lauritsen in Philadelphia, together with L. Lauritsen's brother Ole Lauritsen from Helgeroen.Here's Ole Lauritsen in 1900:[url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=183&filnamn=f00726&gardpostnr=654&personpostnr=3946&merk=3946#ovre>LenkeAnd this is probably Olaf Olsen Hvatum in 1900:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Eric Hudson

Thank you very much! The emigration record is obviously correct. I hadn't thought to look for earlier dates from other locations. But where does the name Hvatum come from if it isn't mentioned in the 1900 census? Is it a farm name? And would 'cousin' be literal so that I can assume Olaf Hvatum's and L. Lauritsen's parents are siblings?Thanks again, Eric

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Helge Seglsten

If you look under the post 'gard' ('farm') in the 1900 census, you see thst the farm he lived on was named Vatum Østre (Eastern Vatum). So your assumption that his surname is a farm name is correct. Many orwegian surnames origin from farm names.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.