Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#42312] Utvandring til Minnesota (?) fra Stangvik - 3 søsken

Gjest Erling Myrbostad
 Del

Gjest Erling Myrbostad

Jeg prøver å få greie på hvor det ble av 3 søsken fra Oppistua Lien i Stangvik:- Lars Nilssen, f. 1845, døpt 11 Jan 1846. Dreng hos onkelen Nils Fløistad på Follerøli i Surnadal i 1865. Flytta til Stavanger for å være sjømann i 1874. Iflg notater etter en slektning skal han ha vært i Stavanger i 1875 og utvandra til Amerika i 1889. Finner ingen registreringer i emigrasjonsprotokollene, heller ikke i sjømannsprotokollene i Stavanger.- Mikkel Nilssen, f. 29 Sep 1855, døpt 28 Oct 1855, utvandra iflg munntlig kilde ca 1883. Er nevnt i et skifte i 1888 med adresse St. Hilaire, Polk County, Minnesota. Skulle iflg familien være farmer. Finner ingen registreringer i emigrasjonsprotokollene. Fant på nettet en Mikkel N Lien som hadde tatt land 30 Apr 1883:Land Record record for MIKKEL N LIEN Name: MIKKEL N LIEN Date: 30 Apr 1883 Location: MN, Document #: 5469 Serial #: MN0210__.392 Sale Type: HOMESTEAD Acres: 159.6400 Meridian or Watershed: 5TH Parcel: Township 123 N, Range 39 W, Section 6Det er jo ikke sikkert at det er samme Mikkel, men det passer jo tilsynelatende bra.- Marie Nilsdatter, f. 18 Feb 1864, døpt 22 Apr 1864. Utvandra fra Kristiansund med reisemål Minnesota 21 Apr 1887. Hun er da ugift og kaller seg Marie Fløistad. Ifølge samme skifte fra 1888 skulle hun også være bosatt i St. Hilaire, Polk County, Minnesota. Hun ble visstnok gift i USA med Jon Olsen Hallset fra Todalen i Stangvik. Han var født 1858, og ifølge bygdebok Stangvik bind 2 utvandret han i 1885, men jeg finner heller ikke dette bekreftet i emigrasjonsprotokollene.Alle er født i Stangvik, og hvis de brukte annet etternavn enn farsnavnet, vil det være enten Lien eller kanskje Fløistad, siden foreldra og i alle fall de to yngste barna flytta til Fløystad i Staumsneset i 1868.Foreldrene het Nils Andersen Lien, f. 1816 og Brit Nilsdatter, f. 1819. De hadde i alt 9 barn, deriblandt min oldemor Ildri, f. 1839.Jeg har prøvd å finne spor etter disse søskenene i flere år, håper noen kan finne noe.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helge Hålåsæter

Iflg Dordi Skuggevik: Utvandringshistorie fra Nordmøre, så reiste Mikkel og Maria i 1868, og da hadde de kanskje følge hvis årstallene til Dordi ikke er snudd. (Side 409). Som utenforstående er jeg ikke trygg på 1868 og det ser ut som du har relevante opplysninger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Taryn Flolid

There is a place called St. Hilaire, which is NOW in Pennington County. There have been some changes since 1883.[url="http://mnplaces.mnhs.org/upham/city.cfm?PlaceNameID=2893&BookCodeID=6&County=57&SendingPage=Results.cfm>LenkePennington County ST. HILAIRE, a city in section 6 of River Falls Township, on the west side of the Red Lake River in the northwest corner of River Falls, was platted in 1882 and incorporated as a village on July 4, 1883. It had a station of the Great Northern Railway; the former railway branch from Crookston to St. Hilaire began its regular train service on July 4, 1883.Here's a map showing it in the county

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Erling Myrbostad

Hi Taryn,Thanks a lot for the information. I will try to get some information from the contact persons shortly.Is there anyone out there who could try to check the 1900 census (or others). I know for certain that Mikkel Nilssen (Lien) and his sister Maria N. Halseth lived in St. Hilaire in late 1888 and 1889. I also know that Lars Nilssen (Lien) were still in Stavanger, Norway in Oct 1888, and in USA in Sep 1889. He was a seaman, but there is a possibility that he also went to St. Hilaire.Help would be very much appreciated.Erling

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei Erling! I don't know if I have found the right family...but in the 1900 Federal census, Red Lake County, Rocksbury township, Minnesota there is a Lars Lian, born 1853 immigrated 1881. He is married to Anne, (b. 1857) who immigrated 1882...5 children are living with them...all born in Minnesota. Lars is a farmer. There is no Pennington county in the 1900 Minnesota Federal census. In 1910, the family lives in Pennington County, Rocksbury..also listed with the family is a daughter Ella born in Northern Norway...age 29...she immigrated 1881. So it looks like Lars and Anne may have been married in Norway. Lars is listed in the search index as 'Lara' Lian(name spelled wrong!). I know you mentioned St. Hilaire as the location where 'your' family lived....but Rocksbury Township is next to (north of) the township River Falls where St. Hilaire is, in the map Taryn provided in her notes. Looks like the borders of these townships shifted over the years. So that is why I wondered if this is the right family.In 1930 Olaf LIEN age 46 is running the dairy farm (Pennington County, Rocksbury)...he is married and has 2 children. Lars O. Lien, age 77, father to Olaf, is living with the family. I will provide more information if you think this is the correct family... mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei igjen Erling! I have done some more searching for you. The location of WHERE to look in the censuses is confusing. From what I can tell, St. Hilaire is in Red Lake county, River Falls township in the 1900 Minnesota Federal census. I have scanned the first 17 census pages in the village of St. Hilaire in 1900 and could not find anyone who seemed to be from your family...looking for Halseths and Liens. That was supposed to be the whole village of St. Hilaire. I also did some other more general searches of the census...no luck so far. mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Erling Myrbostad

Hello Patty! Thank you for the information.I am quite sure that Lars Nilssen Lien was still living in Stavanger, Norway in 1888. He moved to Stavanger in 1874, and might have been in the US before 1889 as a sailor, but he would not be registered as living in Stavanger in 1888 if he was married and had children living in Minnesota, I guess some of the children were born before 1888? And he is called Lars O. Lien in 1930, 'my' person should be called Lars N. Lien.However, I am also looking for another relative who emigrated to US. His name was Lars Olssen Lien, or Lars O. Lien. He was according to the church book born on Oct 10, 1859.I do not know when he left, nor the destination, but the fact that he is not registered in the emigrant protocols, means probably that he left from the closest harbour, Kristiansund, before the registration started in 1882. This could fit very well with immigration in 1881.Eventhough the birth year is a bit different, it would be interesting to have further information, especially about the children names. Lars O. Lien grew up as the closest neighbour to Lars N, Mikkel and Maria, and it is possible that they went to the St.Hilaire area because they knew someone there.Best regards Erling

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hi Erling! In the 1900 Rocksbury township census, it says that Lars Lien was born Dec. 1853 (does not match your October)... children: Ole..b May 1884 Thorwald b. Jan 1887, Hannah b. Feb 1890, Anton b. May 1893, and Ludwig b. Oct. 1896. In 1910, there is also that daughter 'Ella' born about 1880...and a grand niece Olga Engstad age 14 (b about 1896) In 1920, Lars O. Lian is age 67..says he immigrated 1882...same year as his wife, Ane Christine...they have a daughter Rogna (?) age 17...who was not in the 1910 census... I think I found Lars' son Tom (Thorwald?) Lian, age 43,in 1930...married to Olga age 34..children Ruth, Leonard, Arlo, Harbo (?) and Archie. Is this Olga, the grand neice from 1900?Also Ludwig Lian..in 1930 Pennington Co, Thief river Falls...age 33..wife, Gena age 30..and 3 sons Gilmore...age 11, 2nd son...can't read name...age 5...and Kenneth age 9 months.Lars' son, Olaf (Ole?..b1884) Lien's children in 1930 are: Osmer (?spelling) age 10 Armond (?spelling) age 6..census is hard to read.Today I also found a 'new' Lien family: 1900 Polk county..Slettin Township, MN Lars Lien, b. 1856 immigr. 1880 Wife Petrina, b. 1858 immig. 1882 Children:Petra, Sam, Louise, Mary, Oscar...all born in MN... On the same page is Ole Lien...b 1848 imm 1886 married to Tilda (b 1864!!)...children Sam, Ole, Alfred, Tilda, Olina... Immigration is listed different in the 1910 census...for Ole Lien, 1879, for Louis (Lars) 1878... I did not look for this 'new' Lien family in the 1920 or 1930 censuses...I wondered it I was getting 'off the trail'... mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Erling Myrbostad

Thanks again, Patty! I was hoping that the children was named after their grandparents, as it was normally done in Norway at that time. The parents of Lars O. Lien was Ole Lien and Brit Lien, so Olaf makes sence, but there is not any daughter with name starting with B as expected. So it's hard to tell, but it's probably another person you found. Lien is a quite common surname in Norway.For the other Lien family, it is also no renaming connection. As I wrote earlier, both Maria Halseth and Mikkel N. Lien was registered with St. Hilaire, Polk County, Minnesota in 1888 when their mother died. So eventhough the township borders has changed over the years, Polk County might still be relevant?There is also the land record for Mikkel N Lien in Apr 30, 1883. Is there a reliable census from the periode 1885-1895 from this area? Maybe they moved to another district before 1900, and that an earlier registration can help.Best regards Erling

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei igjen Erling! I suppose you know that almost all of the 1890 Federal census was lost (in a fire). I am not sure if there is a Minnesota state census for the time period you mentioned.Yes, it might be that the family is still in Polk County...I guess it depends on where they lived within that county. Next time I go to the library, I will look at the Minnesota records in Ancestry...there are other data bases other than the census records... Is the 1880 Federal Minnesota census too early for any searches? mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Erling Myrbostad

Hi Patty,Yes, I think that 1880 census is too early, at least for Maria Halseth, Mikkel N. Lien and Lars N. Lien. For Lars O. Lien I don't really know, he was born in 1859, but he could have left early. What I hope for is, that if we find one of them, the others will be in the neighbourhood, at least in the first years after immigration.Thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate itErling

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hi Erling, Just wanted to mention a few other bits and pieces that I found...nothing looked that 'promising'.... I found a farmer, Nils Lien (1900 MN census)...b. 1855 in Norway...Pope (not Polk!) county...the reason his name came up on my search was that he has a son (Mikkel) b. 1886 and Nils' father, Mikkel Lien (b. 1824) along with the 'older' Mikkel's wife Marit (b. 1822)...there are 5 other children. Perhaps this is the Mikkel you found when you found that land record...this Nils immigrated 1876...as far as I can tell this is of no interest to you...only that it might explain the land record?? I could not tell where 'your' land record was located in MN... The other piece I found..was a Mary Halseth (b. in Norway 1869) in the 1900 Mankato, Blue Earth County MN census...she is a servant...no family of her own...that is all I copied down about Mary.mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Erling Myrbostad

Hi Patty, Like you said, these people probably have no connection with 'my' Liens. And it could obviously be the Mikkel Lien born i 1824, who took the land. However, the land record says 'Meridian or Watershed: 5TH Parcel: Township 123 N, Range 39 W, Section 6', and in Taryn Flolin says in (3) that 'Pennington County ST. HILAIRE, a city in section 6 of River Falls Township, on the west side of the Red Lake River in the northwest corner of River Falls, was platted in 1882 and incorporated as a village on July 4, 1883. It had a station of the Great Northern Railway; the former railway branch from Crookston to St. Hilaire began its regular train service on July 4, 1883'Obviously, there are a lot of 'section 6's' in different townships. Still, it's a possible connection, and it could of course also be 'my' Mikkel N Lien who took the land. If we could confirm whether 'Township 123 N, Range 39 W, Section 6' is actually St.Hilaire area or not, this would point to 'my' Mikkel N Lien, don't you think?I have to follow the St.Hilaire 'track', it's the only one I got so far.Regards Erling

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei igjen Erling! Did you ever try and email the Pennington County historical society using the address that Taryn provided?...There might be a directory for the time period you want...(like about 1890). Also keep in mind that St. Hilaire censuses seem to list 'city people'...it may have been where the post office was...so mail to Norway might say St. Hilaire....but perhaps 'your' family lived outside of town????...especially if they ended up farming or something like that...just some thoughts... mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hi Erling! I had just a small amount of time at the library the other day. I searched the Naturalization records for MN at Ancestry. Found a Lars O. Lien in Swift county...naturalization was applied for in 1888, 1907 and 1909. I did a quick search at the 1900 census in Swift co...there were 16 results...but I had no time to look at them. Swift county is way south of St. Hilaire...not really near at all. I'll try to take another look at the 1900 census, Swift county....might just get lucky! mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Erling Myrbostad

Hi, Patty. I havn't tried the adresses from Taryn yet due to a very busy working period, but I intend to do so. I would think that you are right regarding St.Hilaire, it might very well be only a post adress, these people had their working experience from the farmland in Norway, and would most likely start working on a farm or in a farming region.Look forward to hearing from you again.Erling

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

I am getting to understand that Lien is a common Norwegian name!! I did not find Lars O. Lien in the Swift county censuses to match any of your family. But, I am wondering if you have anyone with this name:Idius Lien? There is a fellow with this name in 1920 and 1930 Swift county, Swenoda township. He was born about 1860... 1920 census: Idius...age 60 ...immigrated 1892 (or so..hard to read)...Naturalized 1893...farmer. wife Antonetta age 59 b. in Norway...Naturalized in 1894 children: Mons age 36, Clara age 32 and Julia age 29 all born in MN...I am wondering how all the children could be born in MN if the parents did not immigrate until the 1890s...I know I copied this information correctly from the census.The whole family is still together in the 1930 census...'children' not married.Sorry I could not find anything 'better'. mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Erling Myrbostad

Hi Patty,Idius is a name not often used in Norway, in the Norwegian 1865 census I find 14 persons in the whole country. One of them fits with the person in Swift county, Idius Monsson, born in Ringsaker (southeastern part of Norway) in 1859 or 1860. There is no Idius in my family asfar as I know.I realize that it is difficult to find these people in the 1900 census. This probably means that they have moved, or they could be dead at that time. Thanks anyway, Patty, you have really tried hard to help me!Best regards Erling

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...
Gjest Erling Myrbostad

Some information about Maria Nilsdatter Lien og John Olsen Halseth from the Internet which might help. I do not know how reliable the sources are:Registered in 1887 in South Bend, Indiana and in St. Joseph, Indiana: John Olsen Halseth and Maria Nilsdatter Lien.Registered dead in 1920 in Henepin, Minnesota: John Olsen Husby. Registered dead in 1920 in Mineapolis, Minnesota: John Olsen Husby. John Olsen Halseth's father used Husby as Surname,and John Olsen might have changed to Husby.Anyone who could help me check out whether there is more family information to be found in connection with these registrations?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei Erling! I have searched the 1910 censuses using the last information you provided. I did not find anything that 'matches'. I found one John Halseth in 1910, Winneshiek County, Iowa age 52 (born about 1858...which looked 'hopeful')...but he is married to Ellen Johana who was born in Iowa....2 kids Tilda, age 24 and Peter, age 20. I suppose it is possible, this John could have been married to Marie and that she died...I did not copy down all the details in the census....or look at the 1900 census for the family... mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Erling Myrbostad

Hi Patty, Something went wrong with my answer yeasterday, I try again:Maria emigrated in 1887, and was married and still alive in 1888/early 1889, I know from some local sources since her mother died in 1888. So, it seems to me that if John Halseth in Winneshiek County in 1910 is the same John, he has to be married to Ellen Johanna probably in 1890 at the earliest. This means that we have two possibilities, this is another John Halseth, or, Ellen Johanna is he childrens stepmother. Could you see that from the 1910 census registrations?Anyway, thanks for your help!Best regards, Erling

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei Erling, I took another look at the 1910 census and also the 1900 census for the John Halseth I found. Sorry to say this is not the right family. He immigrated in 1865, and was born Sept. 1856. As of 1910 he and his wife had been married 25 years... I also looked at Ancestry in the Minnesota death index...could not find a listing for John Husby, in Hennepin Co, MN. So the search goes on! mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.