Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#42999] Where is 'Niels Pedersens Huus' today as listed in the 1865 census?

Gjest Nancy Pederson Smith
 Del

The following household is listed in the 1865 census. How would I find this location/house in present day Norway and obtain a picture of the house if it is still in existance. I have only listed the first family of the residence as these are my family but there were many families included in the census listing. Was it an apartment house/rooming house? Also what does 'Hestar' mean in the headings?617 Distriktsnr./ 9 - Side/ 65 - Skuledistrikt/ paa Sandagerjordet i Stor-Ou - Sokn/væstre Aker - Prestegjeld/væstre Aker- Gard/Niels Pedersens Huus - Merknad (gard)/68s- Overskrift/1Personnr. Hushald Førenamn Etternamn Fam. stilling Yrke Sivilstand Alder Kjønn Fødestad Hestar5930 8 1 Niels Peders. Huusfader Huuseier, Vognmand g 33 m Jevnaker 1 5931 9 Marthe Mikkelsd. hans Kone g 33 k Jevnaker 5932 10 Peder Niels.* deres Søn ug 9 m Jevnaker 5933 11 Mikkel Niels.* deres Søn ug 7 m Jevnaker 5934 12 Hartvig Niels.* deres Søn ug 3 m JevnakerThank you for any information you can give me.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Gunn Huglen

Here you have a link to Nils Pedersens house in 1865: Lenke'Hestar' means horses. Niels Pedersen was a carriage or waggodriver. (1. hourse)Best regards from Gunn.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you for the information and the links to the pictures. I found the pictures of early transportation in Oslo particularly interesting. Niels Pedersen's grandson (my grandfather) was a streetcar conductor for the city of Fargo, North Dakota, USA for a time around 1930 so it is very interesting that Niels may also have been in the public transportation business in Oslo. My Grandfather also had a love for horses. Thanks again, Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andreas Snildal

The pictures Gunn is refering to are not from Sandaker/Storo, but from Nydalen (which is close to Storo). The main street in the Storo and Sandaker area is Grefsenveien, and a Google search will give you an impression of how the area looks like today.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Håkon Christiansen

In 1865 the Sandaker area (Sandaker under O Farm (Storo= Big O)) was mainly farmland. What Gunn refers to in (5) (Nydalen) is on the other (west) side of Aker river. And I don't think that there were many large houses (except farm houses) along Grefsenveien (ref Andreas in (5)) either this early. Sandaker and Lille O were both close to Aker river (Akerselva), but on the east side. There were some cotter's places (Husmannsstuer), but not housing 6 families.There may have been residence houses in Brettevillesgate and Amtmann Meinichsgate, (see Yngve's map (click to enlarge)), but most of them I believe were built later in the century.So from what I can see I believe that the house referred to housing 36 people must have been situated south of Sandaker farm (under O), of which nothing remains nowadays, as far as I know, on the shore of Akerselva. The farmhouses of the smallest O farm, Lillo farm (Little O farm) is still there a few hundred meters to the north, but the area where Sandaker farm was situated (picture 1) was filled up with industrial buildings and flats relatively early. Sandakerjordet (the farmland of Sandaker farm) I believe must be the area to the south of the farm towards the river. You now find a large building complex with flats there, built very recently, about 3 years ago. (See the picture) And you find what used to be a factory producing yeast (Norsk Gjærfabrikk) and mustard (Idun). The are is, alas, rapidly changing character, and in a few year's time we probably won't see much that can remind us of the 19th century. But you can still find idyllic places along the Aker river, that is of course why the developers are eager to fill this area with expensive flats! (You are free to use the picture, but please refer to the photographer.) (Photo: Per Håkon Christiansen, october 2006)

bilete1405.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Håkon Christiansen

And as you can see Akerselva is still qiute idyllic. I believe that the buiding we are talking about must have been situated about here, to the left, on the east side of the river.

bilete1407.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Once again, thank you. I am overwhelmed by the response to my initial question and I really appreciate everyone's help. The photo of the Akerselva is beautiful and I would love to visit the area in person some day. But for now, I really do appreciate the maps, photos and information.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Thore Bakk

A picture taken a bit south of Sandaker. To the left, behind the trees, runs Akerselven. The street on the right is Treschowsgaten. (You can find it on the map from Yngve in nr.2). Photo taken in 1983 by Thore Bakk.

bilete1409.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.