Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#43345] Erick Knutson and Bertha Benson - emigrants to Mower Co., MN - where from?

Gjest Lars E. Øyane (Luster kommune)
 Del

I am posting this inquiry on behalf of a lady in the United States, hoping that someone can help locate the Norwegian origin of this family. I quote from various censuses:~~~~~~~~~~1885 Dakota territorial census Nelson Co., ND:Knudtson, Erek 60 Head Farmer NorwayKnudtson, Betsy 40 Wife NorwayKnudtson, Anna 17 Daughter MNKnudtson, Harry 13 Son MNKnudtson, Sever 10 Son MNKnudtson, Maria 8 Daughter MNKnudtson, Edward 6 Son MNKnudtson, Knudt 5 Son MNKnudtson, Martin 2 Son DakotaKnudtson, Lena 6/12 Daughter DakotaBenson, Anna 80 Mother-in-law Norway~~~~~~~~~~1880 Minnesota, Mower Co., Adams township:Knuteson, Erick 50 Norway farmerKnuteson, Betsey 35 Norway wifeKnuteson, Anna 12 MN dauKnuteson, Henry 10 MN sonKnuteson, Sever 5 MN sonKnuteson, Maggie 3 MN dauKnuteson, Edward 1 MN son~~~~~~~~~~1870 Minnesota, Mower Co., Adams township:Knutson, Erick 39 Norway farmerKnutson, Betsey 24 Norway wifeKnutson, Knut 6 MN sonKnutson, Mary 4 MN dauKnutson, Ann 2 MN dauBenson, Henry 50 Norway farmerBenson, Ann 50 Norway wifeBenson, Benjamin 27 Norway sonBenson, Elizabeth 20 Norway dauBenson, Margaret 18 Norway dau~~~~~~~~~~Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions!Sincerfely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Grethe Flood

Does the American lady have any information on the marriage between Erik and Bertha / Betsy? Did they get married in the USA? The census of 1870 tells that the children were born i MN.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Grethe for your message!Lorraine in the US has absolutely NO knowledge of her ancestry. Her grandfather was Martin Knutson born 1883 at Valley City, Barnes Co., ND, and he died at a very young age. All she knew when I started looking into this, was Martin's parents' names, Erick Knutson and Bertha Benson, and she knew there was ''some connection'' to Adams, Mower Co., MN.Cordially,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you, Grethe, for sharing your findings in the 1860 census. I am sujre it's the right family.Earlier today I shared my inquiry with Viggo Fosse in Bergen, and here is some of what he sent me tonite (referred with Viggo's authorization):~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Searching for KNUDSON etc in Nelson County, ND in the 1900 census I find on lines 83-89 (page 5 of 5) in Dahlen twp. :Erik Aaberg, Dahlen, Nelson, North Dakota Jun 1832 Norway White HeadBerget Aaberg, Dahlen, Nelson, North Dakota Oct 1844 Norway White WifeSevert Aaberg, Dahlen, Nelson, North Dakota Aug 1875 Minnesota White SonKnud Knudson, Dahlen, Nelson, North Dakota Dec 1880 Minnesota White HeadMartin Knudson, Dahlen, Nelson, North Dakota Apr 1883 North Dakota White HeadLisa Bertina Knudson, Dahlen, Nelson, North Dakota Dec 1884 North Dakota White HeadTheodore Knudson, Dahlen, Nelson, North Dakota Feb 1890 North Dakota White HeadNames & ages fit with the census data that you Lars provided.Searching the ND Biographies ( Lenke ) I find this interesting entry:Last Name:AabergFirst Name:ErickDied:1917Publication: Nelson County History. 2 vol. 1985.Institute Call Number: F642.N4 N44 1985Page No: 105If either of you have the Nelson County History. 2 vol. 1985 (or know someone who has it) we could get valuable info on whether this is same Erick as the Erick KNUTSON who was the topic of Lars' initial query.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I conclude that this Erick Knutson Aaberg very likely came from NORD-AURDAL in Valdres, and maybe that's where the Bensons also originate from...?Cordially yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Vibeke Lund Åhling

And the Hogan family in the link in (6) above may be the Benson family from the 1860 census in (4) above.And there is a possibility that the Mrs. Runestrand, Ingeborg Hendricks is the daughter Elizabeth/'Ingober'. This is however a guess from my side, based on the patronymic and place of birth given, plus the fact that the 'Ingober' probably was one of the Norwegian given names starting with Ing... that are so often changed into something else. Thsy are indexed as Runinstrud in the 1880 census.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you very much to Carla and Vibeke for interesting contributions to this discussion! As a result, we now know where the Benson family came from as well, and Lorraine has expressed pleasure with all these great findings!Cordially yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you very much, Jan Peter, for your latest contribution.It appears that Betsey 'Bertha' Benson's parents' names were Henrik Bjornson Haugen and Anna Syversdotter (Colbjornson) from GOL in Hallingdal, and Lorraine is now in the process of contacting local historians for additional information, both on the Aabergs and the Haugens!Thanks again for all contributions in this matter!Cordially yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.