Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#45748] Looking for emigration information on Nils I. Fedje

Gjest Neil Fedje
 Del

Gjest Neil Fedje

I am trying to determine how my Grandfather, Nils Iverson Fedje, emigrated to the United States. The family has no record and I have not found any information yet in the United States. He was born 15 April 1860 in (leikanger) Feios, Sognfjord, Norway. His parents were Ivar Torson Feidje and Gjertrud N. Isdtr.(Borlaug). I have not yet been able to locate the Emigrand Lists (Emigrantprotokoller) which I hope will give me the approximate date he left Norway. He left Norway and came to the U.S. sometime in 1886 or 1887. Since I can't find any records in the U.S., he may have come through Canada. Once I have an approximate date, I can begin searching ship passenger lists.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Gunn Huglen

On the list Nils Iversen used the name Fosse? There are 3 farms named FOSSE in 1900 in the same area as farm FEDJE.Here you have one named FOSSE: LenkeNils was a farmer when he left Norway. He might have farmed on Fosse farm at the time he left?Gunn

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Gunn Huglen

Here you have the marriage for Ivar Thorsen and Gjertrud Nilsdatter. Nov. 23 , Nr. 17 : LenkeI think I will be able to find the Chr. of the other children too, in the scanned churchbooks here, if you like?Best regards from Gunn

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjellaug Robberstad Petit

Here's also his birth and christening in the database from Sogn: [url="http://www.sffarkiv.no/sffbasar/default.asp?p=result&paging=yes&ptype=single&db=dbdoypte&page=1&sql=low%5Fprestegjeld+like+%27leikanger%25%27++AND+low%5Fforenamn+like+%27ni%25%27++AND+low%5Fetternamn+like+%27iv%25%27++AND+aar%5Fhending+%3E%3D+1860++AND+aar%5Fhending+%3C%3D+1860+++ORDER+BY+forenamn%2C+etternamn&appinfogard=&appinfostol=&appinfourl=&id=0>LenkeHe emigrated in April, 1886: LenkeHis parents marriage in 1857: LenkeHe born in 1822, she in 1837.His father's birth and his parents - Thor Nilson Fedje and Synneve Iversdtr: LenkeNo doubt Gjertrud Nilsdtr (the only one I can find) Her parents were Nils Olson Bårlog and Marta Andersdtr:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I also found the marriage of a Thor Nilsson and a Synneve Iversdtr, but the farm names do not correspond, so I'm not quite sure: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I clicked on the wrong link for Nils Iverson's birth (his parents) Lenke This should be right, so the one who emigrated with the name Fosse is probably, as Gunn said, the right one.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I don't know what happened to my links!! Something is wrong with the one to Gjertrud Nilsdt too! I hope tis one is right now: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here's some more:Ole Hansson Bårlog in 1801: [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=10&filnamn=f11419&gardpostnr=49&personpostnr=1323&merk=1323#ovre>LenkeParents: Hans Pederson (b about 1740) and Gertrud Olsdtr (b about 1747)Gietrud Eriksdtr Fedje (she's set as 30 years old here) with her first husband in 1801: Lenke Britha Hansdtr Bårlog 19 years old in 1801 (no doubt the one who married Anders Olsson and thus Marta Andersdtr's mother: LenkeIt's not her mother here, Brita is from his first marriage.Her mother seems to be Steenor Pedersdtr: LenkeAnders Olsson seems to be born in 1774 in Flåm, Aurland and he married Britha Hansdtr Bårlog in 1804. Here it's said she was born in 1784, but we often have some discrepancies when it comes to birthdates: Lenke Here's Anders Olsson Flåm (Aurland) born in 1773, father Ole Haldorsson/Halvorsson Flåm: LenkeHere's no doubt Anders Olsson Flåm/Flom (Aurland/ Uhrland) in 1801, if you look a bit further up, you'll find Ole Halvorsson (67 years old) and Martha Jonsdtr (57 years old) who are no doubt his parents:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I found a Stenohr Pedersdtr Bårlog born in 1751: LenkeThey may have got the 1 and the 7 wrong since she's supposed to be born around 1757 in the other records.Unfortunately her father is just called Peder Bårlog.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I found a Peder Hansson Bårlog (b ab 1719) married to Caren Endresdtr Grinde (b ab 1729) in 1749, they could very well be Steenvohr's parents: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hans Bårlog b ab. 1685 married Stenor Mundal b ab. 1695 in 1715: LenkeThese are, no doubt, Peder Hansson's parents and the names show that Peder and Caren must be Steenvor's parents. She must be called after her paternal grandmother.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

These are no doubt, Anders Olsson Bårlog/Flåm's parents: [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=101&filnamn=sognvigd&gardpostnr=26385&merk=26385#ovre>LenkeOle Halvorsen Flåm - a widower, and Martha Joensdtr Frondal. Married in 1784. So maybe he was born in after all. If not it must be the woman underneath who is his mother.Ole Halvorsen Flåm was also married to Martha Botoldsdtr in 1764 (he was a widower here too):

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N. Smith

I found this information under the Church Registers for out-migrants under the county of Sogn og Fjordane.21615 u 1886 m 23 4 1886 0 Nils Ivers. Fedje H 1860 0.00 Leikanger Amerika 1419It tells you Nils left for America on April 23, 1886.To find it yourself go to Database selector on home page, then the County of Sogn og Fjordane, Source category-church registers and subcategory-outmigrants.Under 'New person search' if you enter ID equals 21615 and click on SEARCH you will get the entry for Nils Ivers. Fedje. Click on 12573 in the left hand column for the entire page with Nils' entry.Link: [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=2&filnamn=sognflyt&gardpostnr=12753&merk=12753#ovre>LenkeTo find when he arrived in America you can obtain his naturalization papers and it may have an exact date- some do, some don't- and which port he entered. Go to ND Naturalization Records Index database at:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It tells you that he left Sogn on the 23.4, but he probably went from Bergen a few days later.I think he left Bergen on the 28.4 as Gunn also found as he's the only one with such a name and age that year.Kjellaug

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Neil Fedje

Thank you to everyone who helped me find information on Nils Fedje. Unfortunate I don't speak or read Norwegian so all your help has been greatly appreciated. Now I think I can trace his route from Norway to North Dakota.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.