Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#45840] Fra Lesja til USA-Jakob Ekren/Svendsen f1836 og Svend Svendsen Ekren f 1847.

Gjest Arnulv Thomassen
 Del

Gjest Arnulv Thomassen

Se også tema 45606 Generelt Jakob og Svend var brødre som dro til USA.Svend Svendsen Ekeren dro fra Oslo 28 mai 1869 trolig sammen med 2 sambygdinger Haldor Haldorsen Bjøkne og Lars benzen Torthol alle fra Lesja med reisemål Reds Lansing.De dro med Oder fra Oslo.( Oslo-Kristiansand-Hull)Jakob Svendsen/Ekren dro fra Oslo 4 juli 1879 med kone og barn.Reisemål Eau Claire Wisconsin. De dro med Angelo fra Oslo. Er det noen som har info om disse personene i USA? Er det noen som kan fortelle meg hvordan de reiste videre fra Hull generelt og spesielt? I can comunicate in english if somebody has information. Arnulv

bilete2012.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Solås

Dette finnes i en passasjerliste (New York Passenger List) som er søkbar hos Ancestry.com. For å få tilgang til denne kreves et abonnement. Jeg regner med at ankomsthavnen var Castle Garden.Mvh. Arne.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei! I am wondering about the destination of Svend. Lansing is a city in the state of Michigan...I don't know what is meant by 'Reds' Lansing. Has anyone searched in Ancestry for 'Svendsen' or some variation of the spelling in Eau Claire, WI...perhaps Jacob is there for the 1880 census?? mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnulv Thomassen

Hei, I am not in the position to tell you what 'Red' Lansing means. You see Svend left in 1869 and his brother Jakob 1879 and it might be reasonable to belive that they settled at the same place? Eau Clear? I can remember as a kid that we got x-mas cards from US but this is all gone. To my knowledge nobody has seached for these people in Eau Clear. As could be seen from the above #3 Jakob arrived New York 19 July 1879 with steamer Britannic from Liverpool. I will be thankful for any assistance Regards Arnulv

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Do I have this correct that Jakob's wife is Kari? And what is the name of their child (or children)? Perhaps the child is listed in the 'lenke' that Arne gave in #3?? I was not sure. mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnulv Thomassen

Hei, Yes you are right the wife was Kari. do attach the passanger list from Oslo-Kristiansand-Hull.From Hull they most likely took the train to Liverpool(UK)As you can see it was more people from Lesja. The kids of Jakob was:Marit S,Svend,Marit and Peder. Thanks so far arnulv

bilete2023.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Solås

Dette er vel Jacob m. familie i 1880:Name: Swan Swainson Home in 1880: Auburn, Chippewa, Wisconsin Age: 6 Estimated birth year: abt 1874 Birthplace: Nor Relation to head-of-household: Son Father's name: Jacob Father's birthplace: Nor Mother's name: Cara Mother's birthplace: Nor Marital Status: Single Race: White Gender: MaleOtherwise disabled: Household Members: Name AgeJacob Swainson 43Cara Swainson 33Swan Swainson 6Mary Swainson 4Peter Swainson 1Mvh. Arne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnulv Thomassen

Hei, ja, fantastisk -det er litt av en amerikanisering på kort tid i navn. (For my american friends- yes this must be people i am looking for!? American slang after such a short time,Names are americanized.) Jeg abonerte på anchester com i dag men finner ingenting. Det krever vel noe tilvenning? De er i alle fall i Wisconsin! nå skulle det vel være mulig å følge dem videre? Arnulv

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnulv Thomassen

Hei, Den Swain du har funnet på søket er sønn til Jakob.Det reiste også en bror av Jakob som hete Svein(Halve slekta heter Svein) i 1869.Innlegg 1 Finner du han? Ellers tror jeg disse er bosatt ikke langt fra Eau Claire. Se vedlegg. De visste nok hvor de skulle men hvordan? Var det post-telegraf? Arnulv

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnulv Thomassen

Hei, Red Lansing- The present Lansing in Michigan was hardly a place in 1869 and it must have been very unlikely that Svend Svendsen Ekren f 1847 should know anything about it sitting in Norway? According to what i can find Lansing, Michican was plotted in 1835-1836 (Today REO Town)This was crooks going back to New York selling this useless land.They went back to Lancing ,New York to sell plots for the town that did not exsist! 16 men bought plots and arrived before 1839 when svend arived so I hope he was not in this. Could it be Lansing, New York he was going to? Arnulv Thanks to Arne and Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei igjen! I was also interested in the spelling variation 'Swainson'...but I am thinking that when the American census taker came to the door of the 'Svendsen' family, this is how the name 'sounded' when pronounced by the Norwegian family. Perhaps the family can be found in the 1900 census....I wonder how they will spell the name in THAT census! mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnulv Thomassen

Hei, Nå har jeg fått bygdeboka.Det som i skipnings dokumentene fra Oslo er beskrevet som Reds Lansing er i bygdeboka beskrevet som Reed`s Landing som er noe helt annet. (Reds Lansing could be Reed`s Landing see attachment and reference.) Kan det være at Eau Clear/Auburn bare var et stopp på veien? Referanse/reference: Pioneering the Upper Midwest: Books from Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, ca. 1820-1910Lenke))

bilete2030.gif

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei Arnulv! So do I understand correctly, that in the bygdeboka it says that the destination of Svend (in 1869) was written 'Reeds Landing'? Perhaps HE then traveled to Eau Claire or Chippewa county...and that is why Jacob headed there?? This is of course pure guess work! Need to perhaps search the 1870 census in Ancestry.com for Svend! I have not been to the library lately...that is where I have to go to search in Ancestry... mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnulv Thomassen

Hei, yes this is correct.Nothing surprice me now in spelling of norwegian/english anymore. We do have the fact that Jakob his(Sveins) brother who came 10 years later stayed i Auburn in the 1980 census. Was this a stop over? I can also read in bygdebok . 'Svein(Son of Jakob) 1873-1934 traveled to St James ( Bygdeboka descibes St James a small town and township laying south west of Riverdale) at his fathers death and married in 1899 Bertha Dalager from Vang (place in Valdres Norway). He used the name Samuel Jackson ? and was the county cashier for Waton CO. He was active participating in the Gudbrandalslaget(sociaty coming from the vally of Gudbrandsdalen) in Minnesota .' More will come. Arnulv

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Solås

Fra Minnesota Death Index:Name: Oliver Stanley JacksonBirth Date: 21 May 1907Death Date: 3 Feb 1991Death County: WatonwanMother's Maiden Name: DalagerCertificate Number: 005198Certificate Year: 1991Record Number: 2706002

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Solås

U.S. WWII Army Enlistment Records 1938-46:Name: Oliver S JacksonBirth Year: 1907Race: White, citizen (White)Nativity State or Country: MinnesotaState: Minnesota County or City: Watonwah Enlistment Date: 13 Apr 1945Enlistment State: MinnesotaEnlistment City: Fort SnellingBranch: No branch assignmentBranch Code: No branch assignmentGrade: PrivateGrade Code: PrivateTerm of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to lawComponent: Selectees (Enlisted Men)Source: Civil LifeEducation: 3 years of collegeCivil Occupation: Instrument Repairman, Nonelectrical or Traffic Man, Railway (Car distributor, railway. ) or Dispatcher, Railway or YardmasterMarital Status: MarriedHeight: 09Weight: 090

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Solås

Minn. Death Index:Name: Bertha Dalager JacksonBirth Date: 25 Feb 1867Death Date: 5 Aug 1957Death County: WatonwanMother's Maiden Name: AmunsonState file number: 019492Certificate Number: 019492Certificate Year: 1957Record Number: 1343133

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.