Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#49719] Seiersten School

Gjest Richard Olsen
 Del

Gjest Richard Olsen

Seeking a picture of the Seiersten School in Fredrikstad during the 1890s.I was informed that my grandfather attended that school during the 1890s. In the earlier grades the class had both girls and boys. In the later grades (5, 6, and 7)there were only boys in the class. Does anyone know why there were only boys? Was it set up that way for a specific reason? Perhaps for specific studies?Thank You.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Richard Olsen

Could it simply be that there were a lot more boys than girls attending that school and it simply worked out that a number of classes had only boys?When I received the information I thought that perhaps the genders were separated at a certain age/grade.Thank You.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Anne Hildrum

I can't say anything about that spesific school, but when I went to school in the late fifties at my school there were two classes with only girls, two with only boys, and two mixed with both. A few years after it was decided that all classes should have a mix of both boys and girls. I always went to mixed classes, but friends of mine only went to classes either with just boys or just girls.Anne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Richard Olsen

Thank you Anne for replying.That is interesting that the classes were either mixed or one gender.Do you have an opinion on why the classes would be setup that way? Usually, the schools are either mixed gender or single gender.During earlier days in Canada, there were communities that had schools for boys and schools for girls or schools with mixed gender classes.Were the schools controlled by religious leaders or by government? The gender separation may have been religion based.--------------I just spent hours browsing the internet for a picture of the Seiersten School. I might have found one, but I will have to attempt to confirm that it is that school.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.