Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#49817] translations

Gjest Richard Olsen
 Del

Gjest Richard Olsen

I have a few final questions, then I am finished with my search.In the 1900 census it has under Category the word forhus. What is the meaning of forhus?Under floor, in a few spaces, it has kvist. Kvist means dirt, twigs? Does that mean that a number of the houses had dirt floors?Butik is also listed. Does that mean that there was a shop/warehouse on the property or does it mean that the shop/warehouse was renovated into housing units?The next questions are not meant to offend anyone. I noticed that the apartments had mostly 1 or 2 rooms. The rooms were either on the main floor or in the attic.Was the size of the apartments common for that era or was that area of Fredrikstad considered the poor area?I am simply attempting to learn what life was like for my family in Norway.PLEASE, someone answer my questions.Your replies may seem menial to you, but they have helped me immensely. I have learned from all of the replies.Johan Arthur Hansen, I want to thank you again. It was your reply that helped to finalize my search. I entered the street name into the search space, but I did not get any results. Obviously, I did something wrong.Thank You.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Almedal

Kvist - in this context - is a small (single) room in the attic.One and two room apartments were not uncommon in the cities around 1900, and it does not necessarily relate to a poor area.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Richard Olsen

Jan Almedal, Thank You!The problem was that I did not know the context of the words. I did not know if the word was used as a noun or a verb.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hanne Line Osberg Eide

Please correct me if my translations/explantions are incorrect.forhus - front house - a (small) building in front of the 'main' buildingbutik - shop (in this context - there is a shop in the building)- Hanne Line -

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Anniken Lindaas Kolstad

From 'Googling' 'forhus' I see that in Denmark they use the word as meaning the mainbuilding as one could say 'fronthouse'. We usually use the word 'hovedhus' ('headhouse') and 'sidebygninger' ('sidebuildings' as other houses/buildings on the property/farm.) We have a lot of the danish language in our nowegian, so maybe 'forhus' also is used this way in part of Norway?I also agree with the interpretation of Hanne Line(4), but cannot see why this detail should be of any interest in the Census, counting people living there. This 'forhus' is as en extra room(s) in front of the house/entrance, where as I understand, people did not live.Maybe you can show us where you found this in the Census?And maybe I am all wrong and makes unnecessary complications for you ...Anyone, correct me if I am wrong!Anniken

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Fjeldsgård

I imagine that this is question of a property in a town. If it was a property of the owner of the shop it was usually a house in the front (toward the street and could be the 'forhus') and a back yard with one or more houses around.More probably a 'fórhus' is a storage building, also used as quarters to the employes.If we could see the census post it would be easier to consider.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Richard Olsen

Here is a link to the census...Sorry, I do not know how to place it as a link to click on.LenkeIf you click the next button you will get more names/info for 180c.Thank you all for your replies!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Richard Olsen

According to where the house is located ( I do not know if it would be appropriate to place the current address here)on Hjørnerødgata, it appears that it would have been behind the main house that was at Myragata 180a and 180b. I believe (but not 100% sure)that 180a and 180b was once Myragata 9 (Mathisgard). Keep in mind that my information could be incorrect.According to information that I received from a person in Norway, Hjørnerødgata 180c was on the left side of Hjørnerødgata as one enters from Myragata.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Fjeldsgård

This link shows the 4 housheld at the adress m. nr. 191 and 180 c.LenkeAll lives in the Forhus which have 4 floors. Probably a basement, a groundfloor, a first floor and a top floor with 2 'Ark', and means that it must be the front (For-) building.The shop(s) are at the ground.Andrias Anders. who runs a grosery lives in one two room flat with kitchen at the first floor, born 1853 in Tune, norwegian. The same does a Johannes Andres born 1849 in Sundahl, Sweden, but norvegian. He runs a wool shop. After his ocupation it is written 'bekjendt' that means a friend refering to Andrias ?. He is obvious a widower with 3 daughters and a son. The eldest born in SUndahl. Indicating that they are not brothers, but I will not exclude it.The two last househeld lives on the top, obviously using 2 romes and 1 room and kitchen together.There are two sidebuldings.I think it's an easy case getting to know the ownership.It's what I assume.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Richard Olsen

Thank You Kristian Fjeldsgård!When I read it I thought it was a house with 1 floor and 2 'attic'.BTW, the people living in that house in 1900 are no relatives of mine. According to a confirmation register in 1895 the family was living at Hjørnerødgata 180c. According to my grandfather's school records his address was always Myragata. Perhaps the family gave Myragata as the address when they lived on Hjørnerødgata, since it was a small side street and was given its name in 1894.However, most of the houses on Myragata were similar to the house on Hjørnerødgata.I have learned a lot from this archive website and from the people who responded to my questions. Now it is time to get this information organized on paper.Before I leave this forum to organize the information, I have 1 question. It appears obvious, but I learned that it is best not to assume and to ask.Some of you may have come across this in your searches. On a confirmation (or other register) register, if a parent was deceased, would that be noted on the register? On my grandfather's siblings' confirmation registers both parents are listed. Their mother died when they were young, but I do not know how young or when she died. So, if she died prior to the confirmations, one would think that her name would not be included or it would be noted that she was deceased.Again I thank you all for your assistance, and again apologize for asking so many questions.Best regards to you all!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Vidar Larsen

RichardI cannot speak for the whole country, but my paternal grandfather died one week before my father was born. He was, neither at the christening nor at the confirmation of my father, recorded as deceased. I have also seen this with other ancestors.Regards Vidar

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.