Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#50186] Louis Hilliard, born Sept 21,1846-1852?

Gjest Elizabeth Brynjolfson
 Del

Louis Hilliard emigrated when he was 14 years to Canada or the US settling in Canada in 1870 in Kenora Ontario where he owned the Kenricia Hotel and Opera House. He was born of a German/Norweigen family - we do not know which parent was which. His father was a butcher (we do not know if he raised his own cattle) and he had one older brother who was a pharmacist in Chicago or Philidelphia. He made trips back to Norway every second year from 1870 to just before he died in 1914. I am sorry if this is a repeat - I do not think it went through the first time. We have been searching for a long time but this is the first on the internet. Is there as way to access shipping records before 1865? Thank you for any help.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Is Hilliard a Norweigen name? We wonder if it could have been a change made when he landed in North America, especially the US. I have searched all Louis, but that isn't common either although haven't found anything concrete. Have also tried under occupation - butcher - is slakter the right term?? He visited family in Oslo so we assume that is where he lived at some point but do not have a birth place.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Grethe Flood

When did he visit Oslo (Kristiania)? He visited family - do you have any names that can help us?Regards, Grethe

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

All we know is that he visited every two years while a resident of Kenora, Ontario - about 1875 to 1910- but don't know the exact years. He died in 1914. shortly after the hotel he owned burned down taking all his letters and passport, papers, pictures, etc with it. As My G'Grandmother always stayed behind to keep the hotel running respectably, she never met the Norweigen branch of the family. The only other names we have heard of are a William who was an uncle, and an Albert that we have no other information on. We do know that he stayed with his older brother in the US off and on from the age of 14 to 1870 when he emigrated to Canada permanently. I am trying to check records there too.It is frustrating that in Canadian records they lump 2oo Norwiegens together (for example)in ships lists for several of the years, but we think his first trip at 14 was to the US to stay with his brother. He does list his place of origin as being Kristiania and his race(?) to be German. I am not sure if that indicates his father was the German part of the family. do men realate to their father's background primarily rather than their place of birth? Sorry to be so vague. Was hoping that there would not be too many butchers in Oslo when he was born, with either a German or Norwiegen wife ;) Thank you for any help.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

Would this be him in the Canadian Census 1881? Household: Name Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation Religion Louis HILLYARD M Male Norwegian 27 Norway Hotel Keeper Lutheran Annne HILLYARD1 Male Irish 19 Q Presbyterian Eliza CAMERON Female Irish 30 Northwest Territories Servant Church of England Jacob HALL Male Norwegian 28 Norway Hotel Keeper Church of England May CAMERON Female Norwegian 6 Manitoba Church of EnglandNote 1female name, but record states male-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Census Place Eastern Extension, Extension, Manitoba Family History Library Film 1375919 NA Film Number C-13283 District 186 Sub-district B Division 3 Page Number 18 Household Number 119

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It makes him younger than any date range we have considered so far, but then not sure how careful they were about ages. certainly widens my brth years search. His wife,s name was Annie McGinnis Hilliard, but we thought was 12 years younger than he was. As far as we new they got married in Winnipeg but had no idea they lived there so hadn't considered checking manitoba census and have had no luck trying to find marriage records. Thank you so much. Will have a look at this and redo some of my other searches. How much of a range do you use, and what peramiters to get this information. Really appreciate your help. Elizabeth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

My search was as follows (FS):1. Census2. 1881 Canadian Census3. First name: Louis (No last name!) + Ethnic origin: Norwegian.Then he popped up.My conclusion is: You have to spell his name Louis Hillyard to find him in the census, not Hilliard. I found him because I eventually left out his last name and added his ethnic origin instead.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.