Gå til innhold
Arkivverket
Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen

[#51736] Help with dates

Is there a reference document that I can use to figure out dates in Norwegian records? For example, if you look at the burial record for Sjur Nilsen Utbjoa in the scanned parish book for Fjelberg 1739-1759, page 64, I think it is 3 p. Trinit... if I am reading that right.I would appreciate assistance with this!Hilsen Patti Mikkelsen

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
Gjest Bernt Jenssen

I can help you if you give me the exact year. It can be all from jun the 14. until july the 1.Bernt

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Thank you Bernt!I forgot the 'Dom:'... is that important??His probate was recorded 30 Jan 1751. So, if 'Dom: 3 p. Trinit' is June - July, then I assume the year is 1750.Is this a religious designation? Is there any way I can figure this out for myself? I come across many events that are dated this way.Thanks again...Hilsen Patti Mikkelsen

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
Gjest Bernt Jenssen

If the year is 1750, the date is: jun the 14. if it is 1751 it is jun the 27.Yes it is a religious designation (latin) days of the church year. here is my e-mail bijensse@online.no. send me an e-mail .Bernt

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Thank you Bernt. I have sent an email...Hilsen Patti

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
Gjest Ivar S. Ertesvåg

Patricia (1,3): Church records are often dated in the clerical calendar, which originates in Latin. It is probably known in Canada as well. 'Dom. 3 p. Trin' is an abbreviation; 'Dom.' = 'Dominica' or 'Dies Dominicus' = Day of the lord = Sunday.; p. = 'post' = after; 'Trin.'= 'Trinitatis' = Trinity, i.e. the sunday after whitsunday/pentecoste. Thus 'Dom. 3 p. Trin' = Sunday third after trinity

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Thank you Ivar! I downloaded a program ('Dage') that Bernt told me about. My next question was going to be -- what do the terms mean... and you have explained it! This is a great help!mvh Patti Mikkelsen

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Ivar or BerntHow about this one:Dom 5a Trinit 1759If 'p' means after, does 'a' mean before?mvh Patti

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
Gjest Bernt Jenssen

Dom 5 Trinit 1759 = july the 15. 1759. What the 'a' means, I dont know.If there are somone who know what the 'a' is for, also I an interested of that.

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
Gjest Ivar S. Ertesvåg

Patricia (8): the 'a' in '5a' is in latin soething like 'th' in '5th' in english. When sundays are counted, they are always after or in/of something (3rd sunday after passover, 2nd sunday of the lent, etc.), never before.Thus 5th sunday after trinity.

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Thanks again to Bernt & Ivar! I'll figure this out yet!mvh Patti

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.