Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#52973] Charles John Nelson in 1869

Gjest Ron  Jones
 Del

Gjest Ron  Jones

My warmest Thank You to all that answered my inquiry about NELSON/ DAHL. The response was just great about the DAHL family. Now I am asking for help about NELSON, CHARLES JOHN, born about 1869 in Oslo and emigrated about 1869. He went to the LaCrosse area of Wisconsin. That is all I know other than he married DAHL which has been answered.Thanks again for your help. You people are wonderful in helping others and I for one appreciate your efforts.Ron Jones

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei igjen! I was just seaching the La Crosse library genealogy website...I found that Charles J. Nelson (born 1860, died 1928) is buried at the Oak Grove cemetery in La Crosse. Mary D. Nelson (b. 1865, d. 1930) is buried at the same cemetery.Looks like there is an obituary for him in the La Crosse Tribune, Feb. 5 1928....listing is for Charles John Nelson....I guess that is him? The obit can be ordered from the library archives room...for a fee. Not sure this is of interest...or do you mostly want his family info from Norway....mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Asbj. Arnestad

To me the name Charles John Nelson sounds like an Americanized name. Quite a lot of Norwegians who emigrated to the US. changed, for several reasons , their name when they got there (or got their name changed). The surname Nelson may probably have been Nilsen, Nielsen, Nilsson or similar. In the 1865 census only 58 men had Charles as their first name - either as a single name or combined with another name. One person used the name John Charles, but he was 31 and born in St. Croix in the West Indies. Another person was named Johan Charles (age 2, from Bø in Telemark). Charles may have been Carl or Karl, while John may originally have been Johan or Johannes. If we reduce our search to these first names (combined) in the 1865 Kristiania/Oslo census born around 1860 we find about 40 persons. Only one of these used the surname Nielsen. He was son of Niels Johannesen and his wife Berthe Helene Johannesen. LenkeThis isn't much to go on. I haven't checked if they ever emigrated, and if they did, they may have used surnames different from those used in the census. They may even (already) have changed their first names. Probably just to confuse us.In order to get any further, I think we need more information.Best whishes Asbjørn

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron  Jones

Asbjorn,Thank you. The USA census indicates that NELSON, CHARLES JOHN emigrated in 1869. I haven't found a record here.Ron Jones

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Asbj. Arnestad

If he was immigrating to the US in 1869, he should be listed in the 1870 United States Federal Census. If we were able to find him there, we would also find the names of his parents. At the moment Ancestry.com has a free 14-day trial and is probably worth a closer look. Don't forget to sign off!Mvh. Asbjørn

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron  Jones

Asbjorn, I belong to Ancestry.com and have looked at the 1870 and 1880 census and found nothing. Last night I found the 1920 census and it shows he emigrated in 1871 and not 1869.Thanks for your help.Ron Jones

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei igjen! It is hard to know WHICH immigration year is correct! Ron, did you find the 'Charles Nelson' age 21 in the 1880 La Crosse (Onalaska) census? I found this Charles using Heritage Quest. He is working 'on the river'. But, he is not with a family. Maybe the obituary might provide some more clues to Charles' his parents?I looked for more Nelsons in Onalaska in 1870...none seemed to 'fit'.mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron  Jones

Patti,Could/would you visit the library and read Charles's obit? I emailed the library and it could be weeks before they send it to me. I have the information:CHARLES JOHN NELSON, 2/5/1928,LA CROSSE TRIBUNE, PAGE 6. If it is bother to you don't do it but it may help as you said. If it is possible you could email me a copy.Thank you for your help.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei Ron! I will try and find the obit for Charles. Do you mind me asking...is he your relative or are you helping someone else?mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron  Jones

Patti,Don't mind at all, I am helping an older lady. She even went to Salt Lake City and couldn't find anything. We started talking and I said I would try. Have her maternal side to 1760's but Charles has eluded me. Have one good lead and think it is him. I will pay for your expenses of course. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.RON

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei Ron! I have just looked at the obit for Charles. It does not name his parents. But, this is what it says: Mr. Nelson was born in Christiania, Norway October 8, 1860. He came to this country with his parents when he was 8 years old. As a young man he came to La Crosse (so I guess this means he was some place else before La Crosse?. Understand La Crosse is a city. But, the county of La Crosse is a much larger area...or he could have been in a totally different area before he came to the city of La Crosse). The obit says he is survived by his wife, 7 sons, 3 sisters and 6 brothers.mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron  Jones

Hi Patty,Thanks for the informatin. If you send me a bill for your expenses I will gladly pay.Thank you so much. Are you Part of the Dahl family I am searching?Ron Jones

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hi Ron, Oh, no problem...no money is needed! No, we are not part of the Dahl family you are searching for.Is the obit information I sent helpful at all? I did not write out the whole obit...but it does name the living sons and where they lived (in 1928). No mention of where the sisters and brothers to Charles lived.mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei alle! This is the 1928 death certificate information for Charles J. Nelson: Father's name: Lars Nelson, mother's name: unknown.The marriage information for Charles and Mary (Dahl) Nelson from Nov. 17, 1883: father to Charles: Louis Nelson, mother to Charles: Julia Anderson. A witness to the marriage was Julia P. Anderson.I hope this information is helpful.mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron  Jones

Hi Patty,From the information from Norway, Charles's father was NEILS JOHANNSEN. In your opinion could they be the same person? Neils and Lars. Thanks for your work.Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei igjen! Well, the names of Charles' parents as listed in his marriage information do not seem to match with the family Asbjoern mentions in entry #4...parents of this 'Norway Carl' are Neils and Berthe...not very close to 'Lars and Julia'...I did try and look for some Nelsons (lars/louis and Julia) in the 1870 and 1880 census at Ancestry...I did not have any luck.mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron  Jones

I agree with you. I did find a Lars and Julia in the 1880 census in La Crosse. Haven't had ti me to look closer. You are to fast. :)Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Margaret Miller

I may have something for you: Look at Emigranter over Kristiania 1871-1930: Left 15/3 1872 Lars Nielsen 35 yrs. with wife Julie 32 yrs. Children Carl Johan Larsen 11, Teodor Emil 8, Elise Larsdtr. 3/4, and Niels Christian 3. They were living in Fredrikshald at the time they left! Do these children fit your family?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Margaret Miller

The family is in 1865 at Fredrikshald Ostfold (slash through O). Lars Nilsen, shoemaker 29 yrs. born at Id, wife Julie 26 born Fredrikshald, children Carl 6 and Theodor 2. Julie is called Jensdtr. and so are the children, but this must be a mistake. The family above them are Jensens. Id seems to be Idd in Halden Ostfold. I'd look for them in the churh book, but it is their 'down time'.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Margaret Miller

Carl Johan Ovidius born Oct. 8, 1860 illeg. son of 'tambur' Lars Nilsen and unmarried Julie Alette Marie Jensen. The church book is for Halden 1855-1864 (klokkerboka) page 68 #118. Be sure to look for the births for boys as they are separate. Then I found the marriage for Lars Nilsen and Julie. It isn't until April 1, 1864 in Halden. He is 27 yrs. son of Nils Larsen, and she is 24 yrs. dtr. of Henrik Jensen! It looks like they were 'dissenters' or outside of the Lutheran church (I'm not positive of this).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Patty Dahl

Hei igjen alle! I think I might have found the family of Charles in the 1880 Minnesota census, Yellow Medicine Co (Lisbon): Lars NILson age 43, he is a minister. julia, age 39 (I know this is a little off from info of 1865 Norway census), children: theodore age 16, Nils C. age 11, Liza age 9, Kate A. age 7, John age 4, Lydia age 3, and Frank 4 mons (only child born in MN).Theodore, Nils and Liza born in Norway; Kate, John and Lydia born in Pennsylvania! So then I wonder about the Charles Nelson who was living in Onalaska (La Crosse) in 1880...maybe he had already left his family???I hope this all helps...and I hope it is the right family????mvh Patty

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.