Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#56822] Ingebjorg Halversdatter born 1840 Telemark

Gjest Susan Craft
 Del

Gjest Susan Craft

I am looking for information on my great Aunt Ingebjorg Halversdtr. She was born on I think Dalen/Fosse in 1840. I have done a little bit of search in the online records but haven't seen anything yet.I wonder if she came to the US or if she stayed in Norway. I don't know if she died young or married.Any information will be helpful Thanks Sue

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristinn Hegna

Hello Susan,From the information you have given, this might be her in Telemark fylke, Sauland i Hjartdal, Ministerialbok nr. II 1 (1815-1843), Fødte og døpte 1840, page 66 [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7960&idx_id=7960&uid=ny&idx_side=-69>LenkeBorn the 4th of June 1840, bapt. 8th of June 1840 in church. Ingeborg, daughter of Huusmand Halvor Thorbjørnsen and Hustrue Ingeborg Gri?datter, Dalen under Fosse. Witnesses: Gunild Jørgensdatter, Gjermund Johnsen Haugen, Niri Johannesen og Asloug Gunliksdatter Fosse, Hans? Olsen Lia.In the 1865 census this might be her, working at the farm of Niri Johannesen (one of the witnesses?)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Craft

Kristinn, Thank you very much for the Lenke to these records. It appears that she may not have married.What age was it the custom to marry? From the date I have of the birth of their mother, she was about 27 when she had Ingebjorg.I found a note to one side of my information that mentions another sibling named Helge in 1846. Would the book for that year be also digitalized?Sue

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristinn Hegna

Hi, Sue!Good question! I guess it varies a great deal. You could find that people married as low as 17 and well up into mid-age. Particularly if a father or mother lost their spouse, they would often remarry. Of course, the widow/widower may then have been quite 'old'. If the Ingeborg Halvorsdatter working as a servant is 'your' Ingeborg, it is absolutely still not 'too late' for her to be married after 1865. However, I could not find her by doing a quick search in the registers for Hjartdal.I cannot access the parish registers right now, but I think Hjartdal 1846 is there. It might be divided into three church parishes, but the one you want is Sauland.Kristinn

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristinn Hegna

Here she(?) is, no 31 Lenke . The small cross by her name might indicate that she died.(Helge is now a man's name, but used to be common for women then)K

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Craft

Thank you Kristinn, Today I spent a while looking through the sides of ministerialbok on this lenke for Helge and I found Sister Anne side 31 #63 born June 15, 1850 and my grt-grdfather Torbjorn side 58 #44 born May 9, 1853. I could make out most of the names and dates for everyone but Helge for some reason this page didn't come up clear enough to make out the dates and names of witnesses. Could you tell me what it says for her birth and christening? Were they on the same day? I noticed some writing in the block after the witnesses on a couple of them but couldn't make it out.I see there is a mark in front of her name. Is that the cross you mentioned?Sue

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristinn Hegna

Hello, Sue. I'll do my best... :-)Born: The 9th of March 1846, christened the 13th of April 1846. Helge, legitimate child of Huusmand Halvor Torgjørnsen and Ingeborg Grimarsdatter, Dalen under Fosse, Sauland. Witnesses: Svennung Johannesen Bergan(?), Gregar Ambrosen Ryen(?), Anne ?ungsdatter ib. [=Ryen], Halvor Kittelsen ib. [=Ryen], Kirstine Torgersdatter Vestgaarden(?).There are no comments on Helge, but on the others on the same page, there is notes on who were present at the christening when it was done at home, as far as I can see. The writing is very small and blurry, so it is hard to say.Others may confirm if it is a small cross, and if so, whether that means that she died or not. I've seen that before, but it may not be the case here.Kristinn

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Craft

Kristinn Hi, You say that it was blurred for you too. I was worried that I would have to turn in my computer for a new one or something. I tried the slowest acceleration to download the image and everything. I am glad it wasn't just me.What is the meaning of (id) and Vestgaarden. Is Ryen the farm they were from? Some of the names look a little familiar so I am going to look through my family tree maker program and see if they are there. Some may have been related.Are these records in this book for a specific Kirke? It would be nice to know which one if possible.Thank you Sue

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristinn Hegna

Hi,It is mostly on 150% enlargement that it is blurry, but in this church register the writing was particularly small.Telemark is the county where Hjartdal is a district. There were several churches in Hjartdal, of which Sauland was one. In my answer to you in (2) I copied the source information from the top of the page of the church register web page. If you can't see this information, you have to chose 'øverst' in one of the roll-down menues on top of the register page you are waching.Yes, Ryen and Vestgaarden (IF I got it right) are the farms where these people lived at the time. At the time, when people moved, their name wbacame the name of the new farm they moved to. When my great grandfather moved from Telemark to Kristiania, however, he took with him the name from the farm he came from and kept it. Now it has been our name for four generations.If you mean the meaning of ib. it is short for ibid. which is short for the latin word ibidem meaning 'on the same location'.K

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Craft

That helps a whole lot. Thank you!Thinking back, when I first started looking for my Norwegian heritage, I was looking for a family named Brendmoe and couldn't find much because in the US they went by Eriksen for a while. It didn't help much when I found the family under the Eriksen name and the older Aunts and Uncles said 'No, No they were not Eriksen'. I was so confused but then I asked at the Family History Center in Salt Lake City and they found a couple of areas with Brendmo farms and told me that many families took the farm name as a last name or added it to or after their last name to keep some sort of location attached. This new information opened several doors for me. I am 3/4 Norwegian and the rest of me is a mixture of Czech, Bohemian and English. I sure wish the Czech and Bohemian records were as easy to find. So many of the churches and records were burned in Hitlers reign.I really love the way my Norwegian ancestors kept records of families and farms with a little extra info thrown in sometimes. Now many of them are online!Thank you, Kristinn, so much for the way you have explained things to me. Sue

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.