Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#57650] law on adoption

Gjest kristin eyler
 Del

Gjest kristin eyler

Can anyone let me know the law on adoption information. my grandmother was adopted in 1922 and information is limited. when would her info be available to me to research? I was thinking 100 years from her birthThanks and Best Regards Kristin

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Vigdis Skaar Nygaard

Generally speaking the information limit is 100 years for you as a grandchild. Our first adoption law came 1917. Before that there were no adoptions by law. In 1935 there came a new adoption law which is stricter and it may also comprise adoptions made before 1935 - so called strong adoption, where the legal bonds between the adopted child and the adoption parents got stronger, ex. heritage. In your case I think you might try to get information now. If you can read Norwegian, search for 'adopsjon' in the box.I think there is a slight possibility that your grandmother may have been replaced in a new home without any written papers.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Yngve Nedrebø

It was not untill 1935 that the Norwegian law on adoption opened for 'strong' adoption and the locking of information about biological parents. So my guess is that this is an adoption of the 'weak' kind, with the info open for everyone.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Vigdis Skaar Nygaard

OK, it seems Nedrebø, director of the regional state archive in Bergen, and I are giving much of the same advice here. But Nedrebø, based on what you say in tema 53142, answer 6 that the law of 1935 can effect adoptions before 1935 as well, my answer came out a little differently. Maybe you could explain the sentence from that theme to me?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dag T. Hoelseth

If I understand the act 2 April 1917 No. 1 concerning adoption as well as royal resolution 4 May 1917 correctly, the adoption grants were published in Norsk Kundgjørelsestidende.It should therefore be possible to find information on your grandmother, but it could take some time...Dag T. Hoelseth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dag T. Hoelseth

I should add that the adoption information published in Norsk Kundgjørelsestidende will surely not include information on the biologial parents (if both are different from the parents who have adopted), but it might give more details (dates etc.) in order to find the file in the Ministry of Justice's archives (now at Riksarkivet/the National Archives).Dag T. Hoelseth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest kristin eyler

Thanks to you all for your help on my question. Your answers have helped a lot and have given me a more positive outlook for what I am searching for. My greatest appreciation! My grandmother was adopted by a completely different family--would there be any connection between them and one of her birth parents of some kind?Best Regards Kristin

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dag T. Hoelseth

For no. 7. Even if you are certain that your grandmother was adopted by a completely different family, there could be some connection (family from neighbour farm etc.), but that is difficult to say before the adoption licence date is found and the archived ministry file is located. I don't really have enough information in this field to give a qualified answer, as I only remember from earlier microfilm reading of Norsk Kundgjørelsestidende (one of the two official gazettes) that adoptions were published, and the said act seems to confirm my memory.DTH

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Grete Jøraas

When searching through the year 1929, (the Nordland fylke) I saw a couple of times that a child was in the churchbook (skannede kirkebøker) both with her/his parents name and the adoption parents name. And this was the year 1929. Have you tried to find your grandmother in the churchbook? If you know where she was baptised you might find some information there.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dag T. Hoelseth

It should be added that the adoption act of 1986 replaced that of 1917 and is therefore not relevant for the 1922 case, but I guess it is still useful for background information. It should also added that the translation of tghe current 1986 act is unofficial only and is not necessarily updated as the official Norwegian text at Lovdata.no is.Dag T. Hoelseth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.