Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#58406] Looking for information about Nicolaas Russel born in Drammen in 1719

Gjest Carlinda Russel
 Del

Gjest Carlinda Russel

Dear sir,For some time already I am looking for information about mr N. Russel. According to my information Nicolaas was born in 1719 in Drammen. He arrived in Suriname in 1749 on june 19th with the Margaretha Cornelia (capt. Jan Netz) from Amsterdam. Nicolaas died in Surinam in december 1755. I couldn't find anything about him in Amsterdam. Nicolaas was not my ancestor but because my ancestors were slaves of his son Nicolaas (1755-1819), I now have the name Russel. I would like to know who his parents were, if he had brothers and sisters, what his occupation was, why he went to Surinam. I know that it is difficult to find answers for these questions. Hopefully you can help me with information or at least tell me where I can look for information.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid K. Natvig

hello, this is difficult! I don`t know the family, but there was a Ryssell-family in Drammen (Strømsø), immigrant from England, Thomas Ryssell, who was a wealthy merchant, living at Strømsø (a part of Drammen). One of his daughters, Maren Ryssell (must be the same name, just another way of spelling it), married Otto von Cappelen, and one of his sons joined the russian war-effort and died in a war against Turkey.The Nicolas you`re looking for, may be his son, but there` a problem: no Churchbook for Strømsø between 1695-1726..... I have made a link to the Churchbook of Bragernes (another part of Drammen), and I have found two Nicolai (march an june), but I don`t think neither of them is the one you` re looking for. Anyway, you can look it up yourself. LenkeIf you think Thomas Ryssell/Russel is the father, try look for his birth in England.good luck, Astrid.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid K. Natvig

If you go to Sept. 29th, you find Wilhelm Ryssel married to Karen Hansdatter - another child of Thomas?????Astrid

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Solveig Lurås

Hello Carlinda, interesting question. I have some notes, but not many facts.Could Mr. N. Russel have been a Moravian missionary? There where Norwegian missionariesin Surinam from 1849-77( the Bau brothers from Vanse,Elias and Andr.E.), but there could have been earlier. Drammen had one of the first Moravian societies in Norway and Peder von Cappelen was an eager member before 1800.Russel could have been appointed missionary from the moravian cities Herrnhut in Germany or Zeist in The Netherlands if my theori is correct.The moravian city in Scandinavia, Christiansfeld in Denmark was established later.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Solveig Lurås

Hello Carlinda, interesting question. I have some notes, but not many facts.Could Mr. N. Russel have been a Moravian missionary? There where Norwegian missionariesin Surinam from 1849-77( the Bau brothers from Vanse,Elias and Andr.E.), but there could have been earlier. Drammen had one of the first Moravian societies in Norway and Peder von Cappelen was an eager member before 1800.Russel could have been appointed missionary from the moravian cities Herrnhut in Germany or Zeist in The Netherlands if my theori is correct.The moravian city in Scandinavia, Christiansfeld in Denmark was established later.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Vigdis Skaar Nygaard

So according to the information in these probate registers he might be the son of Johan (Jan) Daniel Ryssel, who is still alive. Otherwise he is illegitimate or he has a completely different father.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Carlinda Russel

First of all I want to say I got very excited and also happy when I saw the reactions I received on my question. It is very nice to find out that people I don't even know take the time to look for information that can help me. Thank you very much.Solveig according to the information below Nicolaas was a member of the Lutheran church. I dindn't find any information of Nicolaas doing missionary work. Looks like I have do some research in that direction. It is interesting to hear that not all of the missionaries who worked in Suriname were Germans.1754 op huyden den 26 april zijn ten overstaan van de Edele Achtbare heeren Christiaan de Nijs en August Wilh: van Swallenberg raden in den Edelen Hove van Politie & Crimineele Justitie deser voorsz: colonie na behoorlijke affvraginge door mij onderges: geswoore clercq in deese colonie indispasitie van den heere secretaris tot den huwelijken staat in en aangeteekend Nicolaas Russel oud 35 jaren jonkman van de Luijterse Religie geboortig te Dramma in Noorweegen en woonagtig alhier aan Paramaribo geadsisteerd met Fredrik Huttink en Catharina Gerardina Cortina weduwe Harms: Bode van de gereformeerde religie geboortig in Para Creecq en woonagtig alhier aan Paramaribo geadsisteert met haar moeder wed: Abraham Gallerand Actum Paramaribo dato utsupra Christ: de Nijs, A: W: Schwallenberg / my praesent I: A: Jngenlohe gesw: clercqIt is difficult to find out if there is a connection between Nicolaas and the Russels-Ryssels-Ryßels in the archieves. I do not understand everything I read but my Norwegian is improving. :-) What does arvelater mean. Is it someone who received an inheritance?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Vigdis Skaar Nygaard

The answer to your last question is 'arving'. ' Arvelater ' is the dead person, or the person 'arving' inherits.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.