Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#58723] Please help with translation of Holt Parish Register 1873

Gjest Lynn Andersen
 Del

Gjest Lynn Andersen

I have found my gggrandparents marriage in the Holt parish register December 27, 1873 - Adolf Andersen & Karen Johannesdtr. Would someone please help me with the translation of the information. Thanks.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roar Tvetmarken

Hi Lynn,Per the 1872-1885 Holt/Aust-Agder 'Klokkerbok,' the marriage info for your gggrandparents translates 'freely' as follows: The groom, 33 years old, was born in Sweden but currently resides in Tvedestrand/Aust-Agder. His father's name is Anders Bentson. Best man is A. Thygesen. The bride, 25 years old, resides in Søndeled in Tvedestrand/Aust-Agder. Her father's name is Johannes Pedersen. Maid of honor is C. Artntsen. As requested by the groom, the info about the forthcoming wedding will be published (in a local newspaper) on November 7, 14, and 21.Best Regards, Roar

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen
LenkeHei..Unmarried seaman (Ungkarl Sømand) Adolph Andersen, son of Anders Berntsen, born about 1840 in Sweden (33 years old when married), married Karen Johannes Johannessen, daughter of Lars Thorsen (but I wonder why she is called Johannessen when her father is Lars? Maybe married once before?) , born in Søndeled, Aust Agder, Norway, born about 1848 (25 years old when married), marriage annonced in the church 23. and. 30 of Nov., and 7. of Des., marriage 27. of Des. 1873 in Holt, Aust Agder, Norway. His best man: O. Andersen. Her best man: Chr. Christoffersen. The father of the bride (Lars Thorsen) seems to be the one who has asked for the annoncement.Both lived in the small town Tvedestrand when they married.
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger-Berit Østby-Deglum

The groom was a bachelor and seaman (short: Ungk. Søm.). 'Maid of honor' was at that time usually a man, more like a witness that there was no problem with the marrige, like relationship. The wedding was announced from the pulpit, not in the newspaper, on the mentioned dates.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

I guess no. 29 could be the birth of the bride, Karen Johanne born 01. of May in Søndeled, father Johannes Pedersen from Sandsvær and his wife Catrine Marie Jensdatter. He seems to be a 'blikkenslager', he made kettles, pots and pans out of metal. On Familysearch.com I found 2 more children, Anne Rikke Jørgine born 1846 in Gjerstad, Aust Agder, and John August born 1854 in Holt, which could indicate that the parents moved from place to place and did some work, like many metal-workers of that kind did (a kind of vagabond/ migrant people)I can not find them married on Familysearch.comLenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen
Lenkehis could be Karen Johannes mother, Katrine M Jensdatter born about 1813/14 in Kongsberg, living as a vidow in Holt in 1865, as you can see, she has the son Johan An. (John August?) born about 1853/54 in Holt
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

When Johan August is babtised as nr. 55 in 1854, Holt, the father is called 'Inderst', which indicates that he lived in a house that he did not own minself, ant the mother is called 'Quinde'/ woman, not 'wife'. The birth is called 'uægte', which means that the parents are not legally married. (It seema that they lived together, though, and the 'wife' is called a vidow in 1865, so her socalled 'husband' must be dead within 1865).Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.