Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#59272] What is a 'Damsgaard'?

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

I tried to look up this word, but I couldn't find it. See it used here (line 45):LenkeHilsen Patti Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Yngve Nedrebø

Damsgaard is the name on a farm, an area, a house and a garden in Laksevåg, Bergen. The name has its origin from Dam Tønnessen (born around 1600), a former owner.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

Damsgaard is name of a place in Bergen. You find the same name many places, also in my homerown Egersund, Rogaland, Norway. The word dam means a spot of water, the word gaard or gård means a home-stead, a 'farm'. I think you will find places with the name Damsgaard near the sea, or better near a harbour in a town.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

The book Norske gaardsnavne, Rygh, says much the same as Yngve, they think the place has its name from a Dam Tønnessen. To Yngve: why does it exist farms with the name Damsgaard so many claces, since the name Dam is not a common name in Norway?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

In 1801 I can find 3 men called Dam.In 1900 I find Damsgaard in Klep and Høyland, Rogaland, in Trondenes, Troms, in Aas, Akershus, in Voss and Askøen, Bergen, Hordaland.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks to all of you!The way the register was written, I thought it was a family position, but what you write makes perfect sense. And... it may explain why I could not find her (Thora Marie Andersen) in the 1900 Census. This is my great aunt. I have looked many times for her and for my g-grandmother (Malene Andersdatter Blaksæter) in Bergen. Maybe they were in Laksevåg?Thank you again for your help.Hilsen Patti Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Oh no... did my link fail? I thought I did it properly. It was 6 Jul 1907 -- line 45 on the page (Johannes: 1885-1912, Ministerialbok).Yes, you are correct in your two links. That is her baptism and her father's death. I am just frustrated, because I know that Thora and her mother were in Bergen (or the surrounding area) in 1900... I can only guess they were not counted for some reason.I thought Damsgård might be a clue, but I looked and still can't find them.Thank you for your responses...Hilsen Patti Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

I have also searched for a family Dahl in Bergen in 1900, there are many of them, but I cannot find my family.... I know the exact street where they lived, and just this street number is missing.... I guess they have been counted, but the original paper has disappeared ..... Wich maybe has happened to your family, too.Have you founf Thora Marie confirmed?Have you found Malene Andersdatter as buried? When did she die?Where exactly was Torger Andersen from, I can see he is mentioned born in Helleland in 1860. Which Helleland? Have you got their ancestors as well?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen
LenkeKonfirmant nr. 14 in Helleland/ Bjerkreim is your Torger Andersen, I guess, born 22.03.1860, in Kalveskog (called Klampen), Helleland/ Bjerkreim?I visited the farm Ytre Kalveskog/ Klampen last summer... a fantastic hike that took some hours. Unbelievable that people could live such places....The 'Bjerkreimsboka' says:Torgir f. 22.03.1860 in Kalveskog (Klampen), looked after animals in 1875 at Hegelstad, Bjerkreim, went to Sandnes in 1878 and to Stavanger 1880 (Rogaland, Norway), to Danmark 1884, to Hamburg 1885 (Germany). Can this be your Torger? He had a brother, Ole Tobias born 1866 and a sister, Gunild born 1863. Their parents were: Andreas Olsson Kalveskog/ Vassbø in Bjerkreim, 1831-1918, son of Ole Andreasson Teistedal, Feda, born in Teistedal, Feda, Vest Agder, married 1859, his wifer: Anne Torjersdatter Bjørnestad, Sirdal, Vest Agder, 1834-1867, daughter of Torjer Torgerson Bjørnestad/ Regevik, Sirdal and Gunhild Omundsdtr. born Bjørnestad
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jarl V. Erichsen

To 7): Blaksæter is a farm and 'bygd' in Stryn in Nordfjord.This may be Malene i census 1865??: Lenke- Jarl -

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

from Familysearch:It seems that Malene Hansdatter is married to another man than Anders, Malene's father:MALENE ANDERSEN Pedigree, Female Event(s): Birth: 02 MAR 1851 Christening: 16 MAR 1851 Innvik, Sogn Og Fjordane, NorwayParents: Father: ANDERS JENSEN Mother: JOHANNE HANSDR

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rune Bergesen

Hi Patricia, long time since we talk together. I have found Malene in Bergen 1912, she is alone and lived in Foswinchelsgt 31, Thora as you write married in Laksevaag 1907, and get there first child Thora Margrethe Tveit in Granebakke-Laksevaag 20/10-1907, after that a could not find anything more. Maybe it is Malene died in Bergen 12/2-1930, you can asked Yngve in Arkivforumet. I have found Andreas Johan Adolf married in Nykirken 23/5-1903 Stina Franciska Hansen, in 1912 they have 4 children. Rune

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Erling & Jarl... and hello again, Rune!You are correct in what you found. I think it's interesting that the Bjerkreimsboka recounts Torgir's travels until 1885, but does not mention that he married in 1883, and that by 1885 he had two sons. Some years ago, I was in contact with a distant cousin (a descendant of Torgir's sister, Gunhild) who told me that after Torgir went to sea, no one in the family heard of him again.To answer your questions...Thora's confirmation is here in 1903. They are living at Nygårdsgd. 42, Bergen: [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20050815041156.jpg>LenkeI cannot find my grandfather's confirmation. He was August Olai Adolf Andersen (f. 6 Apr 1884). I believe he went to sea around the time he would have been confirmed.This may be him here Lenkeor here

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Rune! Where did you find this information?Thank you so much!mvh Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you again, Rune!May I ask... I am interested to know if this census gives any other information about Malene -- among other things, I would like to know about her financial situation.The only census where I found her in Bergen was in 1891, which shows 'Fattigvæsenet'. I believe this means she was receiving some kind of financial assistance from the government. In my family, the story was that my grandfather used to send her money from his paycheck but that when he was married in 1916, she sent all the money back to him, saying he would need it for his family (in America). Also, at the birth of each of his four daughters, Malene sent beautiful engraved silver pieces. I have always wondered how she was able to do this, since she never remarried.I thought I should have been able to find her in Bergen in 1885, but struck out there as well. Do you think the 1912 Census will ever be online at the DA?Thanks again... Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

Where did Torgir Andersen and Malene Andersdtr. marry in 1883? I would like to add this info in my Bjerkreims-book...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei ErlingIn Bergen... you can see it here: LenkeIt's item #2, near the bottom of the page. It's interesting the transformation his name went through. He was born Torgir Andreasen. Somewhere along the line, his name became Torgir Andreas Andersen.Hilsen Patti Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

So that explains why I couldn't find him in the digital database, I searched for Torger and Malena... here she is called Magdalena. Thanks.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.