Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#59891] Ole Tormodsen Hodne & Maren Margrethe Gregoriusdatter

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

I am looking at the family of my 2nd g-grandparents, Ole Tormodsen Hodne (b 1829 Ask in Rennesøy) and Maren Margrethe Gregoriusdtr (b 1826 in Stavanger). In the 1865 Census, they are at Østebøe in Hetland. They named their first child Klausine and their first son Klaus. But as far as I can tell, there is no ancestor named Klaus. However, I did notice that a man named Klaus Hodne was at the baptism of their first three children. Also, at Østebøe in 1865, there is a woman Berte !! (age 72), listed as 'Klaus Enke Folgekone'.Why would Ole & Maren name two of their children after an unrelated man? Another question... I don't see a record of any son named Tormod... which I would expect to see.I hope someone can help me understand this...Hilsen Patti Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjellaug Robberstad Petit

His wife seems to be dead in 1865: [url="http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=25&filnamn=f61126&gardpostnr=102&personpostnr=690#nedre>LenkeShe died here in 1865 (n° 16) Kildeinformasjon: Rogaland fylke, Frue i Hetland, Klokkerbok nr. B 1 (1850-1868), Døde og begravede 1865, side 324. Permanent sidelenke: Lenke Permanent bildelenke:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This is no doubt Berte/Birte in 1801 she is a Johnsdtr: [url="http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=40&filnamn=f11103&gardpostnr=496&personpostnr=2649#nedre>LenkeOn the farm Hodne, there are three generations of Claus: LenkeThis Birte Jonsdtr probably married either father (29) or son (1).If someone with the bygdebooks from the area could help you out, you'd be able to see if your gg-father was brought up there.If we are to believe FS, it was the youngest Claus she married:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Kjellaug, Thank you for respondingI did know that Maren Margrethe died in 1865.What does it mean -- 'Klaus Enke Folgekone'? Does it mean that Berte was the widow of Klaus? I tried to find 'Folgekone' in the online dictionary, but could not.According to my records, Ole Tormodsen Hodne's parents were Tormod Olsen and Berta Gurina Bjørnsdatter. Maybe the Berta who is a widow at Østbo is Ole's mother? Maybe Klaus was her second husband. Does this make sense?I found Klaus Klausson, born 1800 at Hodne in Rennesøy. He died 1857 at Friborg (I think this is a bruk under Østebø).If Klaus & Berte raised Ole, would he name his children after him (Klaus), the same was as if he was his natural father? Could that explain why he didn't name any sons Tormod? I thought this naming pattern was pretty reliable at this time.Thanks again...Hilsen Patti Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei KjellaugI responded before I saw your second post. I saw the record on FamilySearch too. It seems like a really big coincidence that the name I had for Ole Tormodsen's mother was Berta Gurine Bjørnsdatter. It is so close to Berta Jorina Jonsdatter! I had that she was b 1788 at Austbø. But I don't see her there in 1801.I'm confused!Hilsen Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Jorine and Gurine are different varieties, but Bjørnsdtr is far from Jonsdtr-:)A Folgekone or a Folgeman is someone who has left their farm to the younger generation, I don't know if there's an English word for this. S/he or he was not necessarily related to the new farmers.That means that there's not necessarily a family relationship here in your case.Hilsen Kjellaug

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ole was born at Rennesøy, he was 38 in 1865 which should set his birth to approximately 1827. But I do not find any Ole Thormodsen before 1829 (n° 457): Kildeinformasjon: Rogaland fylke, Rennesøy, Ministerialbok nr. A 4 (1816-1837), Fødte og døpte 1829, side 108-109. Permanent sidelenke: [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=15778&idx_id=15778&uid=ny&idx_side=-56>Lenke Permanent bildelenke:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Anne Bjørlo Fiskå

HeiIflg Rennesøy gard og Ætt II, side 853, Tormod Olsen f 1781, død i Stavanger 1860, for: Ola Gunleivsson Auglend og Ragnhild Jensdtr Madland gift 24.01.1813 med Berta Gurina Bjørnsdatter, Stavanger f 1788, for: Bjørn Nilson Østbø og Berta Eriksdatter Lunde. De bor på en husmannsplass under Ask, Rennesøy.Har sønnen Ole f 1829(tvilling). Side 869 Klaus Klausen Hodne, f. 1800 gift med Berta Jorina Jonsdatter Kalvøy.mvh Anne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here's their marriage, on the top: Kildeinformasjon: Rogaland fylke, Domkirken, Frue i Stavanger, Ministerialbok nr. A 14 (1842-1857), Ekteviede 1851, side 80. Permanent sidelenke: [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1668&idx_id=1668&uid=ny&idx_side=-83>Lenke Permanent bildelenke: LenkeSo you have the right names, his father was as you said Thormod Olsen.His parents' marriage here on January 1, 1813: Thormod Olsen Hodne and Birthe Biornsdtr: Kildeinformasjon: Rogaland fylke, Rennesøy, Ministerialbok nr. A 3 (1772-1815), Kronologisk liste 1813, side 342. Permanent sidelenke: Lenke Permanent bildelenke:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Anne, good that you can check this too-:)Do you have any idea about this mystery? Why did they call up Klaus and why did Klau's wife live with them? Did Thormod buy their farm and were they childless?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Anne Bjørlo Fiskå

Hei Det står kun at Tormod døde i Stavanger, ikke Hetland, hvor Østbø er. Tror derfor at Ole og Maren Margrethe Gregoriusdt flyttet (eller kjøpte) til Østbø. Det står heller ikke noe at Klaus og Berta Jorine hadde barn, kan det tenkes at de 'adopterte' Ole og at han derfor tok navnet Hodne. mvh Anne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Many thanks to all of you!I'm sorry, I don't read Norwegian very well. Kjellaug, can you confirm for me what Anne has written? I think she is saying this:Tormod died in Stavanger, not Hetland (hvor Østbø er??). Ole & Maren Margrethe went to (bought?) Østbø. Klaus & Berte didn't have any children. Maybe they 'adopted' Ole and he took the name Hodne.What interests me is that Tormod was still living when most of Ole's children were born. But Ole didn't name any of them after him. Also, I found Tormod's burial record here:Permanent sidelenke: Lenkebut I don't know when his mother (Berta Gurina Bjørnsdtr) died.A researcher and friend has suggested that Claus & Berta adopted Ole because Ole was from a poor family from the same area, and that Ole may have shown an interest in Claus' trade.I will probably never know for sure about their relationship...mvh Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Patricia, there's something wrong with one of the links in n° 7, only the link to the 'permanent bildelenke' is right. I don't know why the other one shows the year 1856!!Do you understand what Anne has written?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Haha, here we really wrote at the same time!Firts post: According to 'Rennesøy gard og Ætt II', page 853, Tormod Olsen b 1781, died in Stavanger 1860, parents: Ola Gunleivsson Auglend and Ragnhild Jensdtr Madland married 24.01.1813 to Berta Gurina Bjørnsdatter, Stavanger b. 1788, parents: Bjørn Nilson Østbø and Berta Eriksdatter Lunde. They lived on a cotter's place under Ask, Rennesøy.They had the son Ole b. 1829(twin). Page 869 Klaus Klausen Hodne, b. 1800 married to Berta Jorina Jonsdatter Kalvøy. The 2nd post: It is just written that Tormod died in Stavanger, not Hetland where Østbø is. That's why I (Anne)think that Ole and Maren Margrethe Gregoriusdt moved to (or bought) Østbø. Neither is it written whether Klaus and Berta Jorine had any children, could it be that they 'adopted' Ole and that's why he took the name Hodne.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

According to the death record, Tormod was married for the 2nd time. Maybe Berta Gurine died young.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Funny how that happens!Yes, I did see that one link (in #7) took me to a different parish register. But I saw the correct page. Thank you for that information.Also, thank you for the translations.I have searched in 1865 for Berte Gurina Bjørnsdtr, and cannot find her. I don't think it states in Tormod's burial record if he is a widower. I believe that Ole's mother must have died by 1865.Again, Kjellaug, many thanks Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It happened again! I didn't see your comment about Tormod being married for the second time, before I wrote my last response.I don't even know where to look for Berta's death record (Stavanger, Rennesøy, Hetland???)... or when. That is a needle in a haystack!mvh Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ole's twinsister, Martha Serine (n° 347 on the right page) Kildeinformasjon: Rogaland fylke, Rennesøy, Ministerialbok nr. A 4 (1816-1837), Fødte og døpte 1830, side 110-111. Permanent sidelenke: [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=15843&idx_id=15843&uid=ny&idx_side=-57>Lenke Permanent bildelenke:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

I have searched for Ole's confirmation... but I didn't find him so far. Thst would maybe give you an indication where he lived at the time... with his parents or with som 'adoptive' parents.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I only found one Birthe Bjørnsdtr who died in Rennesøy in 1833, unfortunately her middle name is Elisabeth. Could that be wrong? Her age is not given, so it'll be difficult to check! Kildeinformasjon: Rogaland fylke, Rennesøy, Ministerialbok nr. A 4 (1816-1837), Døde og begravede 1832-1834, side 226-227. Permanent sidelenke: [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=15843&idx_id=15843&uid=ny&idx_side=-116>Lenke Permanent bildelenke:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here is Marta Serines' confirmation, top of the page, they still lived in Ask then: Kildeinformasjon: Rogaland fylke, Hausken, Sørbø, Utstein kloster i Rennesøy, Ministerialbok nr. A 5 (1838-1859), Konfirmerte 1846, side 181. Permanent sidelenke: [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1638&idx_id=1638&uid=ny&idx_side=-158>Lenke Permanent bildelenke:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I wonder why Ole was not confirmed at the same time, with his twin sister? This is curious.One more interesting bit of information, which may be just a coincidence... Ole's sister, Berta Gurina Tormodsdtr (b 19 Mar 1826) married Rasmus Bendix Johnsen Engøy (b ca 1832) about 1852 (this is just a guess). In 1865, they are living at Engøen in Frue, Hetland. Hmmm...mvh Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here is Martha Serine his twin sister in 1865: Lenke married to Peder Johns. from JelsaI find that peculiar too, I've looked through the records and can't find him.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Have you found the origins of Tormod and Berte Gurine's parents?I think this must be Ragnhild's father (Jens Osmundsen) and her brother on Madland (Tormod Jensen) in 1801: [url="http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=6&filnamn=f11121&gardpostnr=73&personpostnr=1452#nedre>LenkeUnless they are from another Madland elsewhere in Rogaland (Lye and Haae are the only places I can find). I can't find Auglend in Rogaland, probably written differently in 1801The only Ragnhild Jensdtr (with a possible age)I find in Rogaland in 1801 is a pauper on Østbø and not married (she's also physically handicapped): LenkeTop of the page here: Bjørn Nilsen and Berthe Eriksdtr:Kildeinformasjon: Rogaland fylke, Domkirken i Stavanger, Ministerialbok nr. A 6 (1783-1815), Ekteviede 1788, side 29. Permanent sidelenke: Lenke Permanent bildelenke:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.