Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#63563] Petra Wilhelmsen

Gjest Kay F. Jetton
 Del

Gjest Kay F. Jetton

I am trying to find a death record for Petra Mathilda Wilhelmsen nee Madsen, born 15 Nov 1837 in Manger, Hordaland, Norway; baptized 1 Dec 1837 at Manger Parish. Father: Peder Mathias Madsen; Mother: Madam Beatrice Madsen nee Engelsen? Petra married 9 April 1858 to Claus Olai Wilhelmsen. Four children: Bernhard, Minde, Claudina (my great-grandmother), and Arent. She and her husband appear in the 1900 census of Bergen with son Arent. Husband Claus died 1915 and his record indicates he was a widower, so Petra would have died between 1900 and 1915. Have searched all Parish registers in Bergen for that period available on the Digital Archives of Norway, but cannot find a death recorded for Petra. Can someone help?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjellaug Robberstad Petit

I don't think it's the right Petra you've found in the 1900 census for Bergen, she's born in the in north of Norway (Bø, Vetserålen in Nordland county)If she was born in Manger, it can't be her: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This must be your Petra Mathilde with father Mathias Madsen and mother Beata born Engelsen: [url="http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=5&filnamn=Manf1816_F&gardpostnr=3273&personpostnr=3273#nedre>LenkeTheir marriage: LenkeThey have two children in Manger: Bernhard Petro in 1859: LenkeandMinde Marie in 1862: LenkeArent Ferdinand Anton is born in Sund in 1876: LenkeClaudine Margrethe is also born in Sund in 1865: LenkeSo in 1865 they should be there. LenkeClaus brother Nils is also there and his mother.The only possible solution is that her birthplace is wrong in the 1900 census. That they have confused Bø in Manger with Bø in Vesterålen!!But at least they lived in Sund when Arent was born in 1876. And as the dates correspond to her husband and son in 1900 that must be the solution!They live in Bergen in 1891:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The link to the 1900 census doesn't seem to work: [url="http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=9&filnamn=f01301&gardpostnr=993&personpostnr=5078#nedre>LenkeBut I'm sure they are the right people after all. They live in Markevei ytre, so which church did that belong to?It's strange that they're not on the election lists in 1904 and 1906. At least I can't find them!It doesn't say that he's a widower here in 1915:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kay F. Jetton

I believe the 1900 Census is in error regarding Petra's birthplace and also the spelling of Claus' name. I found Claus' death record in Stiftelsespresten, Register A6, 1908-1920, page 116, entry # 39. In 1865 I find Petra's parents Peder Mathias Madsen and his wife Beatr. nee Engelsen at Manger Parish, Bøe Farm, Bøe local Parish. I am beginning to believe in the stories I heard years ago. It was said that Petra and Claus came to the U. S. and that Claus returned to Norway. Could they have come between 1900 and 1904 the date of the election list? Their daughter Claudina lived in Wisconsin, and daughter Minda lived in Washington State. I'm not sure where Bernhard was as I have not been able to find him in census records. Could Petra have died in the U. S? and then Claus returned to Norway after her death? I have a picture of a group of people (believed to be family of Arent Wilhelmsen) in Norway and one man appears to be Claus. On the back is written: 'Here you see the picture of grandfather..He came to Norway, but left the ship in the wrong town. The ship arrived at Stavanger, and there he went on shore and was driven down (by car). Father had to travel down and fetch him and then he was completely without money. He arrived in Bergen in an ambulance. This was terrible for mother, 6 children and she was in the shop all day long. Father was a cripple, that you surely know...Grandfather was not easy (to cope with), so mother and father had to engage a person who looked after him...'I had also heard that the entire family had planned to leave Bergen in 1886 (see: EMIGRANTPROTOKOLLANE FOR BERGEN NORWAY 1874-1924), however because Arent was ill, only Minda, Claudina, and perhaps Bernhard came to the U. S. I have not been able to find any additional information on this to prove.I guess I am going to have to see if I can find a death record for Petra in either Wisconsin or Washington State. Thank you so much Kjellaug!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kay F. Jetton

Kjellaug,I found that Claus and Petra left Bergen on the 12 of June 1903 on the ship Dominion. They were bound for Superior, Wisconsin, where their daughter Claudina lived. That is why they did not appear on the election lists. Now I will need to find out in what year Claus returned to Norway. That will help me to zero in on Petra's date of death. I will keep searching!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Well done Kay!That explains everything. I don't think there are any lists of people coming back from the States, but I'm not quite sure. At least you know her whereabouts and you only have around 10 years to search-:)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.