Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#63805] John Leevoll/Lavoll, son of Tollef, emigrant to England

Gjest Kristen Åkre
 Del

Gjest Kristen Åkre

Trying to find a John Andreas Leevoll, son of Telleff Levoll. This John emigrated to Liverpool, England, sometime before 1873, as he married an English woman that year. His first marriage certificate shows no age, his second marriage shows him 41 in 1887; the 1891 census in England shows him 53 years old (b. ca. 1838); his death certificate shows him 66 in 1900. Of all the possible spelling variations of a farm Leevoll/Lavoll/Lavold/etc., I can only find a Johannes Tollevsen, b. 1838 in Luster, Sogn of Fjordane church records (baptisms). All the records in England list John as a sailmaker (seilfabriker?); where listed, his father is listed as a shipwright (skipfabriker?). I have searched the 1865 census in Norway for all combinations of John/Johannes/etc. whose father was Tollev/f/Torleiv/etc. and also looked at people who had an occupation listed as working somehow with sails (seil*). I presume that it is possible that Tollev(?) could have been a farmer in Luster (on one of the farms along the fjord) who also made some boats/ships? Does anyone have any insights or suggestions? Tusen takk på forhånd.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

I think this can be 'your man': LenkeJohan Andrees Tellefs.[en] was born around 1846. He was a timberman (presumably doing work more rough than carpentry).His father was called Tællef Lars.[en] and was a rope maker.His mother was called Rangnel [i.e. Ragnhild] Larsd.[atter].

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

Here's the marriage of Tellef Larsen and Ragnild Larsdatter in 1841 (nr. 137): Permanent sidelenke: LenkeThey were both from Kristiansand. He was a rope maker, 22 years old. She was 26.His father was Lars Tellefsen, rope maker.Her father was Lars Eriksen, sailor (matros).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristen Åkre

Thank you for the information. I am not sure which way to lean, though, because of the name Leevoll/etc. does not fit in with that. My understanding is (unless I am incorrect), that some farmers did make ships that were sent on to the cities for finishing work? So, could it still be possible that the other John and Tollev in Luster have been correct, since there was a Lavoll farm there and other dates seem to match? I do think Torodd's findings are promising, but I am concerned about the uncertainty regarding the name Leevoll/etc. Takk!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Vigdis Skaar Nygaard

I think your family has connection with a place called that, but you probably will not find them under such a surname.Here are the matches for a 1865 l*vold farm search: 9 landsaavold 24 langevold 3 langnæsvold 5 langsjøvold 34 langvold 10 larsvold 15 laugvold 9 lauvold 92 lavold 4 leangsvold 5 ledalsvold 25 leervold 7 legenvold 7 legervold 22 legevold 66 legvold 31 leikvold 8 leitvold 77 lekvold 5 lervold 8 lettingvold 16 lexvold 10 lianvold 5 lillegjervold 44 lillevold 5 linvold 13 livold 15 lofsvold 23 loppevold 4 lorvold 3 losvold 25 lovold 43 lundervold 10 lundevold 3 lundskindvold 3 lundvold 5 luttevold 10 lyngvold 6 lysenvold 6 lysevold 20 lysvold 0 lægsvold 7 løgvold 24 lønsvold 223 løvold

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It is difficult to say. I do not know Luster or Vestlandet, but I think it unlikely that ships were built in Luster. Hope someone with district knowledge could answer you. So it seems you have to find a combination of names and shipyards. A city would suit. And Torodd has Kristiansand which is a city.I would expect to find John Andreas's father or mother with a strong connection with the place name L*vold. Even though I found these farm matches in 1865, there is a slight possibility that a smaller place in a city was called by the Lavold etc. name, but does not show in the census due to city development.I have another Tellef here who is a farmer at Loevold and a sailor Lenke. I do not know at all if he has a son Johan Andreas. I started checking Tromoey baptism 1841- but have not the time. Tromøy parish is close to Arendal, THE sailing ship town of Norway.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

Kristen, you're right to be sceptical about the Kristiansand guy as long as there's no connection to Levold or the like. I've found the baptisms of his parents, and there's nothing there to suggest a Levold connection.Vigdis's last suggestion is worth following up, to see whether that Tellef has a son Joh(a)n who's left home.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristen Åkre

I searched the baptismal records for Tromøy between 1837-1847 and did not find any Johan Andreas (or other spellings), just a couple of Andreas Johans, but they did not have a father named Tellef. Does not look like that would be the connection. Torodd, do you have any suggestions as to areas of Kristiansand maybe having a name like Levold/etc.? Or do you know about the history I mention of farmers doing some ship making who live near the waters? This place name Levoll/etc. must be important for John to have taken it with him to England, no? Takk!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This couple are born in Evje and Kristiansand. They might have children born before they arrived at Tromoey. The confirmation list of Tromoey could be searched.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Kristen, I just want to remind you of the possibility that Tellef/Tollef may not be alive in 1865. As you may have noticed Tellef is most frequently used in Agder. Tollef more in Rogaland.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

To (11): No, I haven't been able to find anyplace in or near Kristiansand called L*voll*.There are various places called Lavoll, Levoll, Livoll and Løvoll around the Agder counties.Sure, it's quite possible that a farmer was also a boat builder. I would expect that to be mentioned in a census. It's less likely that it would be mentioned in the church registers, I believe.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.