Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#64020] 1930 USA Census Code Question and Big Mystery

Gjest Gordon Ryersen
 Del

Gjest Gordon Ryersen

In the 1930 USA Census I have a great aunt Andrea Borufsen-Johnson(Aavik/Norway) born 1892, married to Charles Johnson(Swedish)born 1891. They are living in Staten Island, Richmond, NY, in the USA In the 1920 census I have them living in Pennsylvania.Here is the mystery: They have a son named Harry born 1915, who should have a last name of Johnson. But according to his family and our family history records he is shown as Harry Anderson, with his siblings being Johnsons. His current family are also Anderson's, but everyone wondered why Harry Anderson would have a different last name. One of my cousins thinks that maybe he was a child out of wedlock. I noticed on the 1930 census that he has a 1 in one of the columns, where the other children do not. Would someone be willing to take a guess at this?? Maybe you know the codes and what this might translate to. Tusen takk.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristinn Hegna

here is the 1930 census form with the Johnsons on it. Maybe someone knows. I found the enumerators instructions for the 1930 census, but there are no instructions for column 21 a,b and c presumerably because these are for coding. However, following this link, you may read the heading of column 21C ('nativity') http://usa.ipums.org/usa/voliii/form1930b.jpgMaybe he had a Norwegian or Swedish citizenship at the time of the census? Was he born before his parents were married? If so, there could have been different rules for surnames? Do you know if Charles Johnson was Harry's father's given name? Could he have been baptized Anders in Sweden and taken the name Charles after he emigrated?

bilete5867.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristinn Hegna

I think you are right regarding the interpretation of the small sign on the census sheet. However, it seems rather odd given that both parents are listed as foreign both in 1920 and 1930, don't you think?Have you found any records of Harry's birth in new York about 1906?Kristinn

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kirsten I.  Aas

This is probably the mother in Norwegian cencus 1900 Lenke . It looks as if her father and two brothers already have emigrated - I'll try to find her emigration.Kirsten

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Gordon Ryersen

Tusen takk Kirsten and Kristinn for your thoughts here!! I am thinking that maybe he was the son of one of Andrea's brothers or uncles, and she simply took him in and raised him. It is a big mystery still, I may have to request his birth certificate from NYC to find out the answer.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.