Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#64042] Looking for Hans Jacob Anderson

Gjest Bill Anderson
 Del

Gjest Bill Anderson

I am looking for some help.I have some sparse pre-emigration information on Hans Jacob Anderson (my great-grandfather), and even that little information is conflicting.I have a birth date of August 13. The year is 1868 according to family, but 1870 according to his entry in the 1900 US Census.I have a birth location of (Kristiania) Oslo per one family source or a small town or farm called 'Borhaugh' south of Oslo per another family source who explains that she found the Borhaugh farm listed in 'a book listing the farms of Norway.' I have no further information on this document.Also according to this family source, his pre-emigration surname was 'Borhaugh' and not Anderson. However, I suppose the name change could be due to his dropping the 'farm name' upon arriving in America.According to family sources, he emigrated to America in 1885. However, according to the 1900 U.S. Census, he emigrated in 1888.I do have solid that he married Inger Mary Benson in Houston, Minnesota on January 17, 1898 and they had six children and lived in SE Minnesota until 1919 when they moved to Mason City, Iowa.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance,Bill

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

The name Borhaugh is probably Bårhaug. There is a place with this name in Nannestad north(-east) of Oslo and also in Nes, north-east of Oslo.So I suggest we try looking for his baptism, first in Nannestad 1868-70, then in Nes.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bjørg Hukkelberg

In 1865 we find this farm name in Akershus, Urskaug, and in Vest-Agder, Farsund og Vanse. Urskaug(Urskog) is close to Oslo. In 1900 we find the name only in Vest-Agder.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

I almost can't believe it! Found him right away (no. 101): Permanent sidelenke: LenkeHe was the son of unmarried parents Andreas Olsen Moe? and Inger Hansdatter Borhaug.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bill Anderson

Thank you all so much!The family-history birth location of Oslo was throwing me off as was the Americanization of Bårhaug.Thanks again!Bill

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

Here's his confirmation in 1883 (no. 16): Permanent sidelenke: LenkeHe's called Andreassen, and his father's name is Andreas Olsen. I'm not sure what the father's farm name is, I don't think it's Moe (my suggestion in (4)).Hans Jakob is now living at Åmål (Aamold).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bill Anderson

Given the above information and that I know he emigrated to the US in 1885, record 68404 of the 'Emigranter fra Oslo 1867-1930' database looks like it might be a match. Only thing I'm not sure of in that entry is the residence (Hurum). I did a Google map search and found a Hurum, Norway south of Oslo.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

It's not unlikely that he had moved from Nannestad to Hurum before he went to the USA.I'm more in doubt about his name, which should be Andreas(s)en as long as he's in Norway. But then, again, Anders and Andreas are frequently mixed up in the sources. So I wouldn't rule out that emigration record.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bill Anderson

Wow!And the destination fits better than St. Olaf, IA. Whalen, MN is only 10-15 miles away from where his future wife lived.Thanks again to all who have helped me today.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bill Anderson

Thanks again to all who helped me earlier this week.Now, I'm on to looking for my Great-grandfather's parents. In the 1865 census for Nannestad, there is one Inger Hansd. listed. She as 12 years old (which would put her at 15 when my great-grandfather was born), lived on the Lybek farm and was listed as 'Lægdslem' which I have learned is a poor person who farmers had a 'duty' to take turns supporting. I do not know enough about the culture to even have a guess as to whether 15 year old mothers were uncommon or common...especially out of wedlock...and also a Lægdslem.I am also confused as I look at my great-grandfather's confirmation records (Bjørke in Nannestad 1881-1892 Page 50 line 16) (see link in number 7 above). The birth location does not look to be written the same as the mother's (Inger Hansdatter) farm name. Also, any guesses on the father's (Andreas Olsen) farm name?Thanks again for all the help.Bill Anderson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

To (14): Yes, Flod must be right. It seems to be spelled 'Floe' at both the baptism and the confirmation. The 'd' is silent anyway, and the spelling 'oe' is just an old variant of 'o'.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

To (13) and Bill's confusion about place names: Sorry, I should have explained that right away.Hans's mother's farm name is spelled Borhoug both at the baptism and the confirmation. Modernized: Bårhaug.But Hans's place of residence at the confirmation is called Borhougseie (modernized: Bårhaugseie). It was common, at least in Eastern Norway, to add '-(s)eie' or '-(s)eje' to a farm name to indicate that the place was not the farm itself, but rather a croft or the like on the farm's land property. 'Eie' means 'property'. So Hans lived at a place on the land belonging to Bårhaug.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

Here's a candidate for Hans Jakob's mother (to the right, no. 26): Permanent sidelenke: LenkeBorn in 1840 at 'Borhoug' to parents Hans Michelsen and wife Anne Poulsdr.But I haven't been able to find this girl in the 1865 census; she should be about 25 then.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

But she did grow up; here's her confirmation in 1855 (no. 28): Permanent sidelenke: LenkeNote that she's called 'Inge', without the 'r'.Her mother's name is here probably in full: 'Anne Margrete'

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bill Anderson

Glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't find her in the 1865 census :)How common is it for people to be missing from the censuses of that era?Again, thanks much for the help.Bill

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

Things are starting to become clear, Bill:Andreas Olsen's baptism in 1837 (no. 1182): Permanent sidelenke: [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7666&idx_id=7666&uid=ny&idx_side=-233>LenkeParents: Ole Hansen AamodtEie and ... (wife?) Inger Andersdr.His confirmation in 1851 (no. 20): Permanent sidelenke: LenkePlace of residence: Wollougseje (modernized: Vålaugseie) -- Flod is part of Vålaug.Andreas in 1900:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.