Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#68372] Herman _______ [KNUDSEN?] MOEN born 19th September 1882 [or 1880] near Oslo.

Gjest Alvin MOEN
 Del

Gjest Alvin MOEN

Sunday, 22nd March 2009Can anyone PLEASE help me to trace the origin of my Father's Father, who was born in Norway, possibly on the 19th September 1882 [or 1880], possibly near Oslo? His name was Herman _________. He later took the name MOEN, which was the name of the farm at which he was born, or at which he worked later on in his life. He emigrated to the USA, sometime between 1898 and 1902, probably. Herman may have had a brother called Alvin.He may have been named Herman KNUDSEN, who, in 1898, emigrated to the USA, via Hull and Liverpool in England and then Quebec, travelling from Liverpool on the S.S. Laurentian on the 21st April 1898, arriving in Quebec on the 1st May 1898. He may have lived in Albion, Dane County, Wisconsin, USA in 1900, under the name Herman MOEN, who was listed as being 20 years of age, so Herman KNUDSEN may have been born in about 1880.I would like to visit Herman's birthplace and also the farm, where he worked, and also to make contact with any relatives, living in Norway. I am willing to have a DNA test to see if my 'y' chromosome matches that of an uninterrupted chain of Father to son within Norway, descending from Herman's Father.Thank-you.Alvin

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi Austad

Hello! See 1900 census in Kristiania (Oslo): Henrman Knudsen, born 1879, Eidskogen or Hermand Moe, born 1884. Have to run to work!Heidi

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alvin MOEN

Thank-you, Heidi, for your help. However, I don't think either of these are my Grandfather. Would it be too much trouble to search the Parish Records for Christenings from 1879 to 1883 and emigrant lists for 1896 to 1902?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi Austad

Hello. Do you know more about your grandfather? When did he die? Where did he live when he died? A lot of places in Norway may have been called MOEN, so it's almost impossible to know where to start loooking! Difficult to search in US census, too, when you don't know his last name. Maybe it's written on his death registration? Heidi

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alvin MOEN

Hi Heidi, The birth date was on his WWI draft registration card - but he may have understated his age in order to delay conscription into the US Army. I know about his life from 1910 onwards, but no one knows, for sure, what his original Norwegian name was.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alvin MOEN

Thinking about it, I was wrong when I thought that Herman would say that he was born in 1882 instead of 1880, in order to delay conscription into the US Army - the opposite would have been the case. However for whatever reason, there are discrepancies in Herman's records that mean I need to consider that he may have been born any time between about 1879 and 1883. One thing that is definite, though, is that at some time before 1910, he was called Herman MÖEN. He later had the middle name of Lewis, which could have come from Lars, Ludvig, Ludvik etc.. Herman died in the USA in 1961. Herman KNUDSEN may have been my Grandfather's original name, but I do not have any proof of that. I really need help on this, I've been trying for decades, but my inability to speak Norwegian is a big restriction on me.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alvin MOEN

Herman KNUDSEN, almost certainly, departed Norway on EITHER; the S/S JUNO(5), which departed from Trondheim on the 13th April 1898 and then picked up further passengers from Kristiansund, Alesund, Bergen and Stavanger, before steaming across to Hull in England OR; the S/S ANGELO, which departed from Kristiania on the 15th April 1898 and then picked up further passengers at Kristiansand before steaming across to Hull in England. Is there a departure or emigration record for Herman KNUDSEN, from Kristiania, Kristiansand, Trondheim, Kristiansund, Alesund, Bergen or Stavanger on or before the 15th April 1898?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ingebjørg Romulslie

I can not find any person named Herman, or even anyone with last name containing 'moen' or 'knu', registrered as passanger on Juno in 1898 in Trondheim, Kristiansund, Ålesund. And no Herman left Bergen or Stavanger with Allan line 1898.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi Austad

Hello! There is one Herman Monsen leaving Kristiansand april 15. 1898, born Hegebostad 1880, destination Wisconsin on ship called Allan. (Ingebjørg Romulslie, 11) I think this person looks interesting.... Monsen may have been shortened MOEN? Can anyone with access to US census 1910, 20 or 30 maybe see his exact birthyear? What was your father's name? Maybe he was named after your greatgrandfather? Or if your father had any brothers - what was their names? Did Herman live in Wisconsin when he died? When did he die? Heidi

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alvin MOEN

I HAVE FOUND MY GRANDFATHER!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank-you, so much, Heidi and Ingebjorg. He was born in Hegebostad, near Kristiansand, and their local records have him listed as Herman Knudsen MOEN, who left Kristiansand on the 15th April 1898 to go to Wisconsin (I already had reason to believe that my Grandfather had lived in Dane County, Wisconsin and recently I also found a Herman MOEN in the US Census of 1900, living at Albion, Dane County, WI). Hegebostad records have Herman's date of birth as 19th September 1880. His Father's name was Knut HERBJORNSON and his Mother's name was Taline ANEN. They had 3 other children - Kristine, Alfred and Alvilda. In 1886, Taline died and Knut re-married and had several more children. I am so excited. I have been trying to find this information for over 30 years. When was the 'emigranter fra Kristiansand 1873-1930' posted on Digitalarkivet? Now, can anyone help me find my living relatives in Norway???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alvin MOEN

Heidi, I telephoned a Hotel near Hegebostad to try to find out the name of the local Parish Church and by an amazing co-incidence, the owner had a publication about the people of Hegebostad, over the last 300 years. It was unbelievable. Suddenly, the dam just burst and the mysteries came flooding through. I can hardly believe it. I am still thrilled. Alvin

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hilde Rossing

This is Hermans halfsister, married in 1927LenkeKaroline Gysland born Moen and Gustav Tjomeland,living Ydestad in Kvås.May be some local people here in this forum can help you to find children, and hopefully living relatives!?Hilde

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alvin MOEN

Hi Hilde, Thank-you very much for your help. I have been studying your links. This is really great. Can you translate the headings and entries for Herman MOEN's Christening? Alvin

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hilde Rossing

Hei Alvin,I will try!CHRISTENINGS 1880THE GIVEN BIRTHDATE: 19 sept.CHRISTENINGDATE: 31 oct homechristn.THE CHILDS FULL NAME: HermanIF LEGITIMATE BORN (meaning in marriage) YesTHE PARENTS FULL NAME, TITLE AND ADRESS: Farmer Knud Herbjørnsen born 1852, Talina Aanonsdaugther born 1857, MOEN.GODFATHER/ GODMOTHER`S NAME: Ole Olsen the oldest, MOEN, Gunder Olsen, Thingvætne?, Ole Aanonsen, Kari Aanonsdaugther Gyberg?, Anna Olsdaughter Eilefstad. The wife intoduce.IF AND BY WHOM HOMECHRISTENING: Ole Olsen the younger, MOEN.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ingebjørg Romulslie

Oh - see I forgot the bride´s name in (22), it is ofcourse Talina Aanensdtr. :)))Here is her familiy in 1865: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.