Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#68857] Pronounciation of Rinnan

Gjest Kim Schmitt
 Del

Gjest Kim Schmitt

In the 1965 Census of trodhiem I found Rinnan. But not sure how to say. Is it said like rhye bread or like a tin can ( meaning which way does the letter I go). Thanks KIM

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helge Hålåsæter

Not Rin like Tin, but Rin like Rin. You possibly thought that the letter i in Tin is like it shall be in Rin ? (same letter - same prounciation)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Håkon Christiansen

Hello Helge, and yes, of course. The question was posed in this way, and consequently I imagined the example to be self explanatory, but I can see the funny side of it when you reformulate it in this way! I tried to describe the I and A in rInnAn, nothing else. One 'trouble' with English is the inconsistent pronounciation of wovels (and a few consonants too, (ph/f, w) which make problems for foreigners, and also for those who grow up with the language and try to connect its spoken and written form. 'Rin' could be pronounced in different ways, while 'Tin' cannot (?). So again: I in rIn like I in tIn, but certainly not 'RIN' pronounced as 'TIN',that would certainly have been very weird! Have a nice Easter both of you!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ken V. Nordberg

The norwegian 'a' (at least in this example) is always pronounced /a/ as in 'argentina', never /æ/ as in 'apple' or /eI/ as in 'angel'. The nowegian 'i' is always pronounced /I/ as in 'tin', never /aI/ and never silent.It is perhaps also worth noting, especially for people in the U.S., that the 'r' is a rolling 'r' (alveolar trill) never the retroflex approximant that is so common in U.S. english (as in 'red' or 'riddle').And to further complicate matters; the above would be the 'bokmål' pronounciation of the word; not to be confused with how the place name is ACTUALLY pronounced in the local dialect :) But using the 'bokmål' phonology you should be pretty safe.This wikipedia article may help you too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_phonology

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

Rinnan is a name from Inn-Trøndelag. A Trønder (from Levanger or Verdal) would never pronounce this name like Rin in Tin, but like Rinj (not easy to explain in English).En verdaling sier hele tida 'Æ ha da tænkt å vinj, sju' (i Lotto).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Odd Einar Tømmerås

Just call me on the phone and I shall give the exactpronounciation of the word Rinnan both in our main languageand the dialect where it originates from. It will cost youa couple of bucks for a minute. By the way , did you know that Rinnan used to be a BADword in Norway for many years after the 2.WW ?Quisling were n.1 war criminal. Rinnan no.2My number is 770-60814 with Norways country code in front.Beware of 8-9 hours time difference !

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Rinnan is not such a uncommon name. You will find several thousand hits in the national telephone register ( telefonkatalogen.no ) under the name Rinnan, 9,098 hits, to be exact. So even if we compensate for the fact that people have maybe in average two-three phone numbers (including fax numbers), there should be thousands of people with Rinnan as part of their name. Few of them are related to the infamous Henry Oliver Rinnan (1915 - 1947 (executed for 13 cases of murder)), who was also known as a 'black sheep' in his family even before the war, a petty criminal with lacking social abilities, but also very intelligent. His brilliance was one reason why he became so dangerous as an infiltrator and torturer, in Sonderabteilung Lola, for the German Security Service (Sicherheitsdienst) in Trondheim. A terrible story, but I see no reason to cast a black shadow over the Rinnan name, which goes way back into the Norwegian farm history.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Leiv Skjerve

Jeg kjente (visste av) Henry Rinnan mellem 1924 og 1935Vi gikk samtidig på Levanger FolkeskoleHan var en periode ansatt i Hvedings SportsfotrtningJeg kan ikke erindre noe ufordelakttig om ham denne tidenPå skolen hang han etter, han 'dumpet' og måtte gå et år om igjenSiste gang jeg møtte ham var på 'Fenka' (Fengslet) i Levanger, da jeg leverte inn mit radioapparat

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Odd Einar Tømmerås

Det var selvfølgelig ikke meningen å disse noen med navnRinnan eller noen etterkommere av dem. Men mest kjent iNorge er , dessverre , Henry.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Til (12) Leif Skjerve: morro at du kom innpå, du må jo da være en av våre eldste aktive DigitalArkivister!? Nei, jeg er ikke gammel nok til å huske Rinnan, han ble skutt året etter at jeg ble født. Så jeg kjenner ham bare fra litteraturen, samt avisreferatene fra rettsaken. Der framstår han vel omtrent som du sier, som en intelligent og ryddig person, og flink ekspeditør, men samtidig som en litt merkverdig einstøing med ikke så lite dametekke. Det er i allefall slik jeg husker å ha lest det. At han skulle måtte gå omigjen et år på skolen er da litt underlig, men kanskje det var noe ved personligheten og ikke evnene? Det ville være spennende om du kunne føye til hva du husker. Han må i allefall ha hatt noen spesielle evner, og vært flink til å administrere, det er vanskelig å tro at han ellers kunne 'lyktes' så godt som han gjorde i denne tvilsomme gesjeften....

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.