Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#68904] Biskop Jacob Jensen Jersin (1633-1694)

Gjest Tybring Hemphill
 Del

Gjest Tybring Hemphill

I wonder if anyone knows anything of a portrait of The onetime Bishop of Kristiansand Jacob Jensen Jersin who died in that city in 1694 (He was earlier Bishop in Stavanger) The 'Katalog over Malede Portraetter i Norge', printed in 1886 lists the portrait as hanging in the Cathedral in Kristiansand. That Cathedral was finished in 1885 and still exists, but the officials say they know nothing about the panting. If you can help. It would help me enormously. Thank you.Tybring

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 måneder senere...
Gjest Tybring Hemphill

Thank you Arne for the tip - I have written to the Cathedral to ask if they know anything about the portait. It is odd that other websites do not mention this. As my Norwegian is not perfect, could you possibly translate the comments on the site about the portrait for me? I will let you know if I find it.Tybring

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Tybring Hemphill

I have heard back from the Cathedral and they say that they do not have the portrait and suggested the Stavanger Museum, but they also do not know anything of the portrait. I have now tried the Statsarkivet in Stavanger and hope that I will have a reply. If anyone has any other ideas (I've already tried the Norsk Folkemuseum, Portrettarkiv and Museum in Kristiansand) I would be pleased to hear it. Thank you.Tybring

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...
Gjest arne kvitrud

Not to your question, but I found an article about the Jersin-family in the Stavanger newspaper 'Stavangeren':

bilete7320.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne B. Kristiansen

Arne Kvitrud (6)kan du si når den artikkelen var i Stavangeren?? Og hvor fant du denne utklipte artikkelen??

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest arne kvitrud

Den er fra utklippsarkivet til Stavanger Museum. Dessverre står det ikke noen dato på utklippet.Skal jeg gjette vil jeg tro at den er fra 1930-tallet, men..Det er fra avisa 'Stavangeren'.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne B. Kristiansen

Det var nytt for meg at det finnes et utklippsarkiv på museet. Er utklippsarkivet på museet stort? Og hva innholder det av materiale..??

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest arne kvitrud

Det er på Kulturhistorisk avdeling. Utklippene er i flere store skuffer, hvorav den ene står det Stavanger på utsiden. I skuffen er det utklipp og noen kopier av dokumenter i to rader. Skal jeg gjette ut fra hukommelsen er det en snau meter med utklipp til sammen. Innholdet er ordnet alfabetisk på temaer og steder. De fleste utklippene er ordnet etter gate- eller stedsnavn. Det er artikler av historisk- og kulturhistorisk interesse for Stavanger. Det er samlet rimelig systematisk fra tidlig på 1920-tallet og fram til i dag, men det er også noen slengere av eldre utklipp. Jeg har ca 250 sider med kopier herfra, men det er bare et lite utvalg av alt som er der.Det er andre skuffer for andre deler av fylket.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnfrid Mæland

kanskje det kan finnes noe her Lenke domkirke&sortby=name&order=asc her fant jeg maleriet av min forfar biskop Jørgen Eriksen.A

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest arne kvitrud

Til (9) og (10).Det er også et utklippsarkiv på Stavanger bibliotek. Det står i magasinet i kjelleren i noen stålskuffer. Det er nok noen år siden innsamlingen her ble avsluttet. Det er ordnet alfabetisk på steder.Det er også utklippssamlinger for Stavanger i privatarkiv i Statsarkivet i Stavanger for Rasmus Tveteraas, Gunnar Wareberg og Erik Gundersen. Videre i privatarkiv i Byarkivet på O. Lunde og Reidulf Skjelstad.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest arne kvitrud

The following text is given by Rasmus Tveteraas in an article in Stavanger Aftenblad from 1911 - telling that there previously was a painting of Jacob Jersin in the Stavanger Cathedral, but as I interpret it - not in 1911.He also refers to a painting of bishop Jon Guttormsen. A painting of him (from the Stavanger Cathedral?) was sold in Copenhagen in 1777 subject 12052 article (57): Lenke guttormsen&nr=4&antinnlegg=175&startnr=&antall=&spraak=#anker

bilete7327.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tybring Hemphill

Arne, thank you so much for the copies of clippings from the newspaper. I was unable to reply until now. This begins to seem more and more of a mystery each step one takes. I suspect that the one thing we can be certain of is that the portrait was in Kristiansand in 1886. My sense is that that the book 'Katalog over Malede Portraetter i Norge', which gives that location, was a well researched book. The reference to the Jersin portrait appears, interestingly enough in the addendum. Yet 25 years later when Tveteras writes, the portrait is certainly not in Stavanger. Therefore, it seems unlikely that it has been in Stavanger any time recently. Perhaps the answer, if one is to be found, would have to be in the archives of the church in Kristiansand. Does anyone know how to go about checking such archives? Are they centralized in Oslo? Is there an official church archivist/historian? Sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Although it seems the portrait has been missing for some time, it would seem strange that it had been destroyed.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 8 måneder senere...
Gjest Tybring Hemphill

Since the last post I have had some success finding some of the Jersin family portraits, though only the Danish ones that were brought to my attention by Arne through the clipping in post #6. I will attach copies of those, the first being the father of Bishop Jacob Jensen Jersin of Kristiansand, Jens Dinesen Jersin (1587-1634), Bishop of Ribe, a copy of which was provided by Dorothy Jones who operates a fine website called livinghistory.dk with photos of many old portraits.

bilete9123.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tybring Hemphill

And here is the portrait of Hans Burchardsen/Borchardsen (1597-1643) also a Bishop of Ribe and father-in-law of Jacob Jensen Jersin. I gather from the article that there may be some uncertainty about the identity of this portrait, although I am not sure I entirely understood the article on that point. Arne, can you clarify? This is from the Danish Kongelige Bibiliotek

bilete9124.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tybring Hemphill

As for the missing portrait of Jacob Jensen Jersin, the closest I have gotten is to know that it was in the Domkirke in Kristiansand in 1886 (after the opening of the new church) and yet does not appear in an inventory of the cathedral done in 1912. Other portraits that were also listed as being at the cathedral in 1886 remain there and so something has happened just to this one portrait. I am told by officials of the cathedral that their old records would be now stored in the Riksarkivet in Kristiansand. If anybody has the ability to do some research in that facility, that may be the only way to answer the mystery of this missing painting.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

I don't know if this is of any interest, but you will find a picture of the tombstone of Hans Jacobsøn Jersin (and his 'bumerke') in debate nr 60662 - 15: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Nermo

(21:) The depicted tombstone in debate nr 60662 - 15 reads 'Hans Jacobsøn Jersin' and 'Kirstina Pedersdatter' as well as the year '1637'.Who would be the parents of Hans Jacobsøn Jersin ?(Jacob Jensen Jersin, bishop of Kristiansand, lived 1633-1694).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tybring Hemphill

Hans Jacobsen Jersin, according to the attached link, which seems sensible and reliable, was the half brother of Jens Dinesen Jersin (father of Jacob Jensen Jersin) as they shared the same mother Ellen Hansdatter (1553-1607). She was daughter of the sogneprest of Jersie Hans Christensen and married his followers in that position Jacob Christensen (father of Hans Jacobsen Jersin), Dines Jensen (father of Jens Dinesen Jersin) and Hans Andersenhttp://www.helverskov.dk/Oversigter PDF/Person-liste for GAMMEL HELVERSKOV-slægt.pdf&rct=j&q=

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tybring Hemphill

Here is a link to a whole book about Jens Dinesen Jersin which also has some mention of Hans Jakobsen Jersin near the beginningLenke jersin&source=bl&ots=6zyNVdwHEp&sig=ooSBtaxBSFqLm78vt-w7Y0LFV94&hl=en&ei=M1K_S4n0KJClngfi8on-CQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CA0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=outzen jersin&f=false

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tybring Hemphill

Can anyone give me a brief summary of what is said about the portraits in the article in post #6. I think I understand that there is some doubt about the identities of the portraits, but cannot understand the details due to my limited Norwegian. There is some mention of the Folkemuseum being involved in identifying and also some mention of the missing portrait of Jacob Jensen Jersin. Thank you in advance. Tybring

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.