Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#68996] Margreth Jensdatter 1908 (name changed to mikkelsen).

Gjest Rob Hansen
 Del

Gjest Rob Hansen

Can anyone get to the bottom of where Margreth Jensdatter ended up??She was daughter of Jens Petter Mikkelsen (10 JUN 1865) and Kristina Kristiansdatter.She was Born on Breivoll, Ibestad in 1908.I'd like to know who she married where she went in later life and why her name was Mikkelsen rather than Jensdatter.Thankyou very much,Rob Hansen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rob Hansen

Her father changed his name around 1905 possibly because of some relation to Christian Mikkelsen and the new Norway inh 1905. She was really a Jensdatter but was called Mikkelsen - the person of interest is Jens in that sensem

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rob Hansen

She had several. My grandfather grew up with themThey were Hulda (married on the same day), Kristian, Einer - who worked the farm 1939 onwards. The other children died at birth or early.Rob.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

It was quite common that children took the fathers surname and not his given name.Mikkelsen appears to be the family name.Her father was Jens Petter Mikkelsen so it makes sense to me she chose Mikkelsen instead of Jensdtr. or Jensen. Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Margaret was confirmed as Mikkelsen so the name probably was originally from Hans Mikkelsen. Our family name Iversen comes from 1870 in Ibestad and is still used to this day. The name was changed to Iverson in Canada by officials for some reason.My grandmothers name in Brønnøy was Danielsen in 1880 from her fathers surname and it also has carried down in the family. Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

I found a possible reason Jens Hansen used Mikkelsen as a name at Margarets confirmation. Dagmars ( 1910 ) and Huldas (1912 ) confirmations has the father as Jens Petter Hansen. Hans Olai Mikkelsen died 28 May 1913 in Breivoll and after his death Jens Petter is using Mikkelsen as his surname. Possibly to honor his father? Interesting!Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rob Hansen

Hi,First of all I want to say thankyou to Marianne for all her hard work looking through marriage registers. I've done that goose chase it is HARD work.Secondly I'd lke to thank Ron for taking time to try to fathom out why Jens changed his name.Thirdly, Someone in the family , possibly Kristina or one of her realatives- did something significant to assist Norway breaking away from Sweden in 1905. The name Mikkelsen is associated with Kristian Michelsen. There is a link between Jens' family and Kristian Michelsen but I haven't a clue what.My grandfather who grew up with this family maintained that his mother married to Magnus bertin, - she was Margaret Dare- was associated with King Haakon/queen Maud but this is impossible to trace as early records for the Royal Family are not catalogued.as ever, more questions than answers.Reagrds,Rob.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Anything is possible Rob but Christian Michelsen was born in Bergen and the Mikkelsens were in Breivoll since 1800 1.Hans Olai Mikkelsen b.26 April 1829 Bredvold Erikka Maria Pedersdr. marr.26 Nov.1857 Ibestad 2.Michel Hanssen Bredvold Anne Cathrina Christensdr. marr.26 Nov.1814 IbestadRon

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rob Hansen

The most likely answer is that Margaret, Magnus Bertin Hansen's wife was associated with Haakon/Maud and the change of name has something to do with her. Married to a sailor she would have travelled widely and could easily have worked in Bergen. Maria, Magnus' youngest sister moved to Bergen in 1897 and Hans Olai was a t the christening of Karl the first son in 1899.There is a family link to Bergen and could be a link to the Mikkelsen ship owners as they were then. That family has died out so this is difficult to trace.Is there a repository for Christian Mikkelsen's affairs outside of Gamlehaugen??

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Rob,did you have any luck researching the Dare family in Swansea? I doubt that Marie Hansdr. is the connection in Bergen.Do you have anything that says Margaret ever lived in Bergen? I understood their children were born in Swansea and she lived there? Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rob Hansen

I think she knew Bergen well. I know that she took my grandfather to a large house there but he did not know what it was. I also know that when she went to reclaim my grandfather from Ibestad in 1913 she would have completed the journey alone. I know of noone else who came to Norwaty to take my grandfather to England. She was always described as a 'real lady' as if she was taught how to behave rather than exhibiting a natural trait. That would point to her being some kind of lady in waiting but the records are at sixes and sevens so that's not easy to address. I know that Margaret was married in 1901 and baptised Alfred and Harold in 1904/05. Outside of specific dates much is missing. The 1911 census for Wales is being very slow and the 1910 census in Norway is not released - there are still too many unknowns.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Thats a puzzle alright Rob.I did some further searches and Hans Olai's Ærboe family goes back to Nils Jenssen Ærboe 1660-1728 who was Lensmann ( Sheriff ) in Breivoll. As for Christian Michelsen his maternal ancestry Kjerschow goes back to Denmark. Rasmus Sundt Christensen Kjerschow was the Søgneprest in Brønnøy.Born 1739 in Hjørring DK.Christians paternal Michelsen family lived in Hafsø,Egersund back to 1588.Christians father Jacob Andreas Michelsen was Mayor of Bergen 1865-66 and 1876-78.Jacobs father Tollach Michelsen was a labourer.Hardly a connection to the Rasch / Ærboe family.Interesting to note the Michelsen name in Egersund started with Michel ( Mikkel ) Salvessøn 1708 Hafsøe.Michelsen remained the family name through generations. If I remember ( lost my notes!! )Margaret Dares father came from Somerset and her mother born in Swansea? Her lady like bearing could easily be from her schooling? My maternal grandmother was born in Essex and her and her sister went to a Girls School for their education.She acted in a very similar way to your Margaret Dare.Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rob Hansen

Are there any other Mikkelsens in Bergen who've been ship owners?Are there any long standing companies with that name operating in Bergen.I'm sure my Aunt was given a bronze platter for her wedding about 1970. by a family of wealthy Mikkelsens in Bergen. Is there another family? Is the story getting mixed up??

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Åse K. Kristiansen

I feel that a little explanation is needed about how the changes of a person's last name was in Norway before and after 1900. Every person got a first name when they were baptised, their last name was their patronymic, saying that all children of Hans were Hanssen or Hansdatter, children of Mikkel became Mikkelsen or Mikkelsdatter. In addition they would use the farm name to distinguish between f.i.Magnus Hansen Skog from Magnus Hansen Breivoll.This changed with the Name act of 1923 when all family members should have the same last name. This last name could be a family name like Angell, Giæver, Gamst used for several generations, or a farm name like Berg, Skog, Kvitle (my maiden name). And some chose to use the patronymic of the head of the household as their last name. This last way of finding a last name had been used in the towns for nearly a hundred years and had become more and more common in rural Norway.This will explain why Jens Hansen changed his name to Mikkelsen, because his father's last name was Mikkelsen,and his children changed their last name from Jensen/Jensdatter to Mikkelsen.The Michelsen/Mikkelsen families in Norway are not necessarily related, and certainly not the Mikkelsens at Breivoll, Ibestad and Prime Minister of Norway Christian Michelsen of Bergen. We had a Christian Michelsen in Dyrøy, born at Ibestad, and even he wasn't related to the Mikkelsens at Breivoll.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Just to add to Åses information. Christian Michelsens ancestors were all Michelsens and not Mikkelsens and they originated in Egersund.The closest Christians family got to Troms was his maternal grandfather Peder Christian Kjerschow 1756-1866 who was Bishop of Tromsø 1830-1848.Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rob Hansen

Where did the Maud and Haakon live prior to 1905?? I know they were given a house in England by Queen Victoris but I'm not sure if they uased it??Rob.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.