Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#69197] Peter Olson Quatum/Kvatum and family - from Biri, Oppland area to Wisconsin

Gjest Scott Lauren
 Del

Gjest Scott Lauren

Hi, I'm attempting to trace my great-great grandfather back to Norway with little to no luck. I don't have a lot of information and I've found little to no info here. I also understand very little while searching here since most of it is not in English. Anyways, this is what I know:Peter Olson - b. Aug 1834 in Norway. m. Siri in 1864 Siri(Segrid?) unknown - b. 1837 in Kristiania, NorwayPeter worked on the Kvatum farm in Oppland and moved to Wisconsin in abt 1883. Siri apparently followed him to America 3 years later in 1886. While in America, Peter took on the name Peter Olson Quatum and his children adopted Peterson as thier last name. I'm not sure if they went by Olson or Peterson while in Norway, or if all of them used the last name Peterson.Thier children are:John Peterson - unknown Ole Peterson - unknown Oluf Peterson - unknown Carrie Peterson - b. 1867 Peter Peterson - b. 1869 in Norway, d. Mar 1956 in WI Albert Peterson - b. 1872 in Norway, d. 1935 in S. Dakota Sina Peterson - b. 1882 in Norway, d. 1965 in CanadaAny help or info would be greatly appreciated and I'll be happy to share any info I know with anyone interested in their descendants in America.Thanks, Scott

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Here is PEDER Olsen and Sigri in 1865 Birid with son Ole Kristian.Sigri could be related to the other family living there.LenkeRon

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Thorud

Have a look at www.slektshistorielaget.no Some of the pages are in English. Look for the US flag or the word English. You will find a lot of transcribed sources for Biri parish where Kvatum is located. Note that Kvatum belonged to Ringsaker parish before 1821. There is also a query page called 'Etterlysninger' where local experts may answer - highly recommended.The parish records for Biri 1789-1814 and 1854-77 are burned, but for the period 1866-72 there are copies - transcribed as shown above. Since Kvatum belonged to Ringsaker before 1821, parish records are preserved and you will find some parts of them transcribed at the web site mentioned.Peter emigrated in 1882, from Christiania (Oslo) 1 jan 1882 to New York with the ship (line?) Angelo. He took over the Nordre (nothern) Kvatum (also spelled Hvatum) farm from his parents in 1867.According to the 'Bygdebok' for Biri, Peters parents were Ole Pedersen Kvatum b. approx. 1800 and Kari Pedersdatter (b. in Vardal parish). Ole Pedersen son of Peder Olsen and Maren Kvatum, Peder Olsen son of Ole Olsen and Anne Anderdatter. But I am not shure if all this information is accurate - needs checking.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Thorud

Peter's mother Kari Pedersdatter was born 1805 i Vardal parish, daughter of Peder Amundsen 1780-1864 (from Nedre Torke, then Helli, then Dal - all farms in Vardal) and Johanne Knudsdatter Svartåsen 1778-1859 also in Vardal.Send me your email address and I will send you some more about the ancestry of these parents - my address is geir.thorud at getmail.no

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Scott Lauren

Thanks for the tips!Well, I understand some of the naming traditions, including the use of farm names, and the fact that men would take on '...sen', while the women '...datter'. But One of the things I don't understand though is the difference between 'Pedersdatter' and 'Pedersdr'. Is it just an abbreviation or is it a completely different spelling altogether?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Scott,Pedersdatter and Pedersdr. are the same.Sometimes the name is even written Persdr.In the 1865 Census I posted I made an error.I meant to say that was Peders family living there not Sigris.The steamer Angelo that Peder went on in 1882 was a ' feeder ship ' used to transport people to Liverpool or Glasgow where they would board ocean liners to go to America.SS Angelo was owned by Wilson Lines.I looked in the Biri church records for Sigri but she is not there.Possibly she came from a nearby parish. Without the marriage record its hard to find where she came from.Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Scott Lauren

Thanks Ron, I figured that's what you meant. The one record I did find here myself was the emmigrant record of Peder Olsen Quatum leaving on the Angelo in 1882. I was hoping it would point me in the direction of his family, but he apparently went himself (or the others that went with aren't listed). I do have a newspaper clipping from Medicine Hat, Canada were Peder and Siri ended up living at the end of thier years. It was celebrating Siris 100th birthday... according to that, she came from Kristiania, but it never gave her maiden name which was why I was stuck at them for so long. Thanks.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

100 yrs old! wow! I just found a Siri Pedersdr chr.27 Aug.1837 in Vardal.Parents Peder Johnsen & Karen Amundsdr. Theres also a Sigri Pedersdr. chr.14 Feb.1836 in Gran. Parents Peder Erichsen & Mari Torstensdr.Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Thorud

I have tried to look at Peder's grandfather (father's father) Peder Olsen. There is most likely an error in my transcript from the 'bygdebok'. I don't think he was son of Ole Olsen, but maybe a brother.Most likely this Peder Olsen was married in 1798 i Vardal to Marte Christopherdatter Seval b. 1780 (in Vardal, see her also in the 1865 census above) and they had a son Ole christened 4 nov 1798 in Vardal. The family is at the Nøss farm in Snertingdal (also in Biri Parish) in the 1801 census, see [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=36&filnamn=f18010525&gardpostnr=68&personpostnr=1728&merk=1728#ovre>LenkePeder Olsen (I assume this is the same Peder Olsen) bought the nordre Hvatum farm from Ole Olsen Hvatum in 1802. See top-left on this page (starts on the previous page)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Thorud

If Sigri/Siri was from a neighbouring parsih there is a good chance that she and Peder married there.(There is very small chance that she is christened in Ringsaker - even if she was born in Biri according to 1865)Check also confirmations!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Thorud

Siri Pedersdatter b. 1837 at Kolls-Aalstad in Vardal. Her parents moved shortly there after to søndre Markeng, close to Kvatum. Markeng and Kvatum are both in Redalen, the area that was moved to Biri parish in 1821. So, this Siri grew up in Biri, and it is then normal that she believed that she was born there, when asked in 1865.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Scott Lauren

Geir,This would include Kristiania, correct? As I believe Oslo and Kristiania are one in the same... According to the article I have, she says b. Aug 1 1837 in Christiania, Norway.Thanks again, you're working overtime for me! My grandma Lauren (Peterson) was 100% Norwegian (as far as I know) and this is her fathers side. I've been so blessed with help so far, it's going to make me feel even more guilty when I have to ask about her mothers side soon! I have almost no info on them, so I don't expect to find anything.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Scott,I looked through all the passenger lists for Oslo,Kristiania,and Kristansund and could not find Siri and the family emigrating.Peder Olsen shows leaving Biri Parish 19 Jan.1882 to America. BUT I did find a familiar entry in Kristiania.20.10.1882 Ole Kristian Pedersen 18 ( b.1864 )and Peder Pedersen 11 ( b.1871 )both from Birid.Going to Quebec and passage was post paid.Its possible Peder Olsen sent for his 2 sons.Many emigrants went to Halifax or Quebec City and crossed over to the US.Ole K. being 18 was able to bring Peder only 11.They are not shown leaving Biri but neither is Siri / Sigri.Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Thorud

I have looked at Siri Pedersdatter Kolls-Aalstad's chr. record, says born 1 Aug 1837, chr. 27 Aug as Ron mentions above. So there is no doubt that this is the one. She was born less than one mile from where I grew up.There is no Christiania in Redalen. My guess is that Christiania may actually be 'Christians Amt', the name used for Oppland county at the time.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Scott Lauren

Thanks again everyone, this info is invaluable.Ron, Peter Peterson (as he spelled it) was my great-grandfather, and that info makes sense as he lists his immigration year as 1883. It had previously confused me as it looked like most of the family went together, but only Peder Olsen showed up.Geir, I remembered where I found the Olso/Christiania reference... at Wikipedia.org. I says, 'Oslo (formerly Christiania) is the capital and largest city in Norway'. So that is the missing link.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Thorud

You are right about Christiania=Oslo, but it is not the right place.In the 1875 census, when the family lived at the Tofsrud farm near Kvatum, Siri's birthplace is Vardal.Sorry about the emigration date for Peder, as Ron states, it was 20 Jan 1882, not 1 Jan.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Thorud

As this 'land record register' Lenke shows, Peder Olsen 1834- took over the Nordre Kvatum farm in 1867 and sold 1874, his father Ole Pedersen took over in 1832 when there was a probate after his farther Peder Olsen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Thorud

Peder Olsen bought the Søndre Tofsrud farm in 1875, BUT - and this is interesting - the farm was not sold before 1899 when Peder vent bankrupt!!! There is more about this in the online documents! He then also owned a farm Nordre Onsrud which he bought in 1875 see Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Scott Lauren

Wow Geir, where do I send the check?! haha...Anyways, I'm guessing Siri generalized the area she was from... If I was in Norway trying to explain where I was from, I'd probably say Green Bay, WI since no one would know of the smaller towns up north. I'm guessing it was the same with Oslo/Christiania... everyone knew where it was.Their story is very interesting... It's been lost as very few people in my family bothered researching or asking thier parents about it. The ones that did came to the same stone wall that I did.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.