Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#69351] Broman farm name

Gjest Juliann Richens
 Del

Gjest Juliann Richens

My great great grandfather name was John Larson Broman. His children were all born as Larsons, but by the time they started to die there last names were all Broman. Even John Larson's last name on his death certificate was Brumon. I have found later land records and church records that refer to him as John L Brumon/Broman. I am wondering in Broman/Brumon is and englisized version of a Norwegian farm name. His wifes name was listed as Steinstrop/Stensrude/Stenstrop. The only other indication I have of where he was born in in Norway is a son's obituary that says his folks immigrated to america from Oigeberget in 1862. John was born 11 May 1872. Some sugestions have already been posted on where he came from and I havn't been able to locate him yet. Thank you for what has already been posted Juliann

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tore S. Falch

The links in post (2) don't work, so here we try again:Here - [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8891&idx_id=8891&uid=ny&idx_side=-318>Lenke - in the parish register for Våler (in Hedmark county) we find that the 35 year old bachelor John Larsen Eigsberget emigrated to America from Våler in March 1862. At the same time one Bernt Larsen Eigsberget (- a brother of John's?) emigrates with his wife Marthea Mortensdatter and their daughters Hanna (10) and Marie (8).Here is the farm Brumoen in Våler in the 1865-census - Lenke. The farmer's name is Lars Larsen, 52 years old.And here is the farm Eigsberget in Våler in 1865 - Lenke . Here we see that the farm Eigsberget also is called Fuglesæt (- or Fuglset in today's spelling).This is probably the baptism of the John Larsen who emigrates in 1862 -

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tore S. Falch

And here we find the the Brumoen/Broman-connection: Here is the baptism of Maria, born Januar 9th 1854 (baptized March 5th), the daughter of John's brother Bernt Larsen and Marthea Mortensdatter - Lenke - see no.18 (the one marked with an X).Among the girl's godparents are Lars Larsen Brumoen and Arnt Larsen Brumoen. Based on their patronymic Larsen, they could well be brothers of Bernt and John.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Juliann Richens

Thank you after about 25 years of research my brick wall may have just been broken.I'm going to have to put it all on paper to understand it all. The census report I have that gives John immigration date also gives the immigration date of his wife as 1862 also. Her name is Marie/Maria Stienstrop/Stiensrud/Stensrud/Stenstrop, I have seen it all ways. One United States census record calls her Isabelle M. She was born in August 1835. I don't have a lot of knowledge of Norwegian genealogy, but I have usually found my other Norwegians families that the spouces have lived fairly close to each other usually within the same community. is there a Maria living fairly close to John?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ola Morken

Thanks to Tore S.Falch. Do not know what happened to my links. The 1865 Census links were not the ones i tried to copy. Anyhow, very good research by Tore

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Juliann Richens

I checked the 1900 Federal census for Minnesota United States and found a Bernt Larson married to Matea Larson. This Bernt was born May 1820, his wife was born March 1830 and they immigrated in 1862. They are on the same page as John Larson Broman's daughter Karen Sophia and her husband Hennry Hendrickson.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Juliann Richens

John Larson's wife Maria (Marie/Isabelle Maria/Marie)Steinstrop/Stenstrop/Stensrude also immigrated in 1862. I have found several variations on her first and last name. She was born May 1835. She does not seem to have a patronymic last name. Would Steinstrop or one of its variations be a farm name too, and would I most likely look in the same parish as John Larson was found it? Again thank you for all of your help. I do appreciate it. Juliann

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.