Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#70617] Need help finding wife of Gabriel Torjersen Egelandsdal

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

I am trying to find any information about the wife of Gabriel Torjersen 'Egeland'. Here is what I know:Gabriel was born 12 Feb 1867 in Egersund. Based on birth of his siblings, I believe the family moved from Egersund to Nordre Hetland (in Ogna) and then to Sandnes in Høyland. His father, Torjer Torjersen Egelandsdal (father from Heskestad), died at Sandnes in 1905.Gabriel and his wife, Maria, emigrated to the US in 1893 (arrived NYC 22 Jun, ship 'Italia'). The manifest lists their residence as Stavanger.In the 1900 US Census, his wife is called Christine Marie, born May 1869. They have been married 7 years (ca 1893).The only other clue I have is that in the 1920 US Census, Marie's mother is living with them. She is listed as 'Raul' Ericksen, a widow, born ca 1841, who immigrated in 1901.Be aware that years of birth & immigration listed in the US Census are often inaccurate by a year or more.I have searched parish registers for Stavanger and Sandnes for 1891-1893, looking for their marriage, but found nothing.I would greatly appreciate any advice...Hilsen Patti Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen
LenkeI will try to find out more. You have no idea what is the last name of the wife Maria? Is it possible to find out when she died, and out of that find her last name, birth date and place ...?Do you know where they emigrated from? Stavanger? Kristiansand?
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei Erling, thank you for responding! Yes, this is the family.I could not find an emigration record on the DA. But I did find their arrival in the US. Here is a link to the manifest image (I hope this link works):LenkeIt states the port of departure was Kristiansand, but I checked the emigration database for this port (on the DA) and did not find them.In the death record for one of Gabriel & Maria's children, it shows mother's birth name as Erickson. This matches the last name of the woman listed as 'mother-in-law' living with the family in 1920. But I can't make out her first name. I think the person who transcribed the census is wrong that it is 'Raul'. That does not sound like a woman's name to me.Most of the death indexes I can access show only date of death and maybe (if I am lucky) a date of birth. I have not located her death record. But in the 1900 Census, it shows 'May 1869' as her date of birth.I'm running out of ideas, and will greatly appreciate any advice or assistance.Hilsen Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Eide

Gabriel Egeland census 1920 Name: Gabriel T Egeland Home in 1920: Hubbard, Polk, Minnesota Age: 52 years Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868 Birthplace: Norway Relation to Head of House: Head Spouse's Name: Marie Father's Birth Place: Norway Mother's Birth Place: Norway Marital Status: Married Race: White Sex: Male Home owned: Own Year of Immigration: 1892 Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes Image: 90 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Gabriel T Egeland 52 Marie Egeland 56 Gladys E Egeland 16 George M Egeland 14 Tyler R Egeland 12 Raul Erickson 79 Edward Bilden 45Gabriel Egeland 1930 census: 1930 United States Federal Census about Gabriel Egeland Name: Gabriel Egeland Home in 1930: Hubbard, Polk, Minnesota View Map Age: 63 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867 Birthplace: Norway Relation to Head of House: Father-in-law Race: White Occupation:Education:Military service:Rent/home value:Age at first marriage:Parents' birthplace: View image Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Dewalt Palm 31 Gladys Palm 36 Deforest Palm 2 10/12 Gabriel Egeland 63 Joe Parks 32 Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002about Gabriel Egeland Name: Gabriel Egeland Death Date: 12 Nov 1936 Death County: Polk State File Number: 013223 Certificate Number: 013223 Certificate Year: 1936 Record Number: 740933

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Eide

Gabriel Egeland census 1920 Name: Gabriel T Egeland Home in 1920: Hubbard, Polk, Minnesota Age: 52 years Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868 Birthplace: Norway Relation to Head of House: Head Spouse's Name: Marie Father's Birth Place: Norway Mother's Birth Place: Norway Marital Status: Married Race: White Sex: Male Home owned: Own Year of Immigration: 1892 Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes Image: 90 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Gabriel T Egeland 52 Marie Egeland 56 Gladys E Egeland 16 George M Egeland 14 Tyler R Egeland 12 Raul Erickson 79 Edward Bilden 45Gabriel Egeland 1930 census: 1930 United States Federal Census about Gabriel Egeland Name: Gabriel Egeland Home in 1930: Hubbard, Polk, Minnesota View Map Age: 63 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867 Birthplace: Norway Relation to Head of House: Father-in-law Race: White Occupation:Education:Military service:Rent/home value:Age at first marriage:Parents' birthplace: View image Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Dewalt Palm 31 Gladys Palm 36 Deforest Palm 2 10/12 Gabriel Egeland 63 Joe Parks 32 Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002about Gabriel Egeland Name: Gabriel Egeland Death Date: 12 Nov 1936 Death County: Polk State File Number: 013223 Certificate Number: 013223 Certificate Year: 1936 Record Number: 740933

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Eide

Marie Egeland 1920 United States Federal Census about Marie Egeland Name: Marie Egeland [Marie Erickson] Home in 1920: Hubbard, Polk, Minnesota Age: 56 years Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864 Birthplace: Norway Relation to Head of House: Wife Spouse's Name: Gabriel T Father's Birth Place: Norway Mother's Name: Raul Mother's Birth Place: Norway Marital Status: Married Race: White Sex: Female Year of Immigration: 1893 Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes Image: 90 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Gabriel T Egeland 52 Marie Egeland 56 Gladys E Egeland 16 George M Egeland 14 Tyler R Egeland 12 Raul Erickson 79 Edward Bilden

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Eide

1900 United States Federal Census about Christine Marie Egeland Name: Christine Marie Egeland [Marie Christine Egeland] Home in 1900: Hubbard, Polk, Minnesota Age: 31 Birth Date: May 1869 Birthplace: Norway Race: White Ethnicity: American Gender: Female Relationship to Head of House: Wife Father's Birthplace: Norway Mother's Birthplace: Norway Mother: number of living children: 4 Mother: How many children: 4 Spouse's Name: Gabriel Marriage Year: 1893 Marital Status: Married Years Married: 7 Residence : Hubbard & Scandia Townships, Polk, Minnesota Occupation: View on Image Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Gabriel Egeland 33 Christine Marie Egeland 31 Thom Egeland 6 Johan Egeland 11/12 Bernie Marinene Egeland 3 Gorge Miller Egeland 1 John Hanson 46 Ole Thingestad 34

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

Inger: You found death of Gabriel Egeland, is it possible to find Marie Egelands death, and more info about her there?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Eide

Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002 about Marie Egeland Name: Marie Egeland Death Date: 1 Oct 1928 Death County: Polk State File Number: 012300 Certificate Number: 012300 Certificate Year: 1928 Record Number: 519370

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Eide

There is another Marie too Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002 about Mrs. Marie Egeland Name: Mrs. Marie Egeland Death Date: 3 May 1939 Death County: Polk State File Number: 012237 Certificate Number: 012237 Certificate Year: 1939 Record Number: 810612

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Erling & Inger!I do appreciate all your searching. I think that is Marie who died before 1930. Because Gabriel is a widower living with his daughter & her husband in 1930. I was frustrated that I couldn't find the family in 1910. Because I thought maybe Marie's father might still be alive then. Or maybe her mother came to America as a widow.Anyway, it seems she was born either Marie Christine or Christine Marie Eriksen in Norway about May 1869. She and Gabriel were married about 1893 in Norway and resided in Stavanger shortly before emigrating to the US. I thought if I could find their marriage, I would know more about her. But I have searched every municipality I can think of, including Stavanger, Sandnes, Eigersund & Christiansand. I tried to attach a copy of the 1920 Census image here so you could see her mother's name. I don't think it's 'Raul', but can't figure out what it is... or what it is supposed to be.I don't know where else to look.Again, thank you all for your kind assistance...mvh Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here is that image from 1920 (I cropped it down to just the family). Also, I found the family in a state census in 1905, and Marie's mother is listed there as 'Karen Erickson'!

bilete7211.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

New bit of information:Karen Eriksen (age 60) and daughter Anna O. Eriksen (age 26) arrived in Quebec, Canada on 3 May 1902.Ship name: SS Tunisian (Allan line), sailed from Liverpool 24 Apr 1902.Destination is Nielsville Minnesota, to son-in-law, G EgelandLast residence: 'Christ.' [Kristiansand? Kristiansund? Kristiania?]So far, I haven't had much luck with this information, though...Hilsen Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 8 måneder senere...
Gjest erling t. endresen

I have little time here at Statsarkivet in Stavanger, but I found in a list that Gabriel Torgersen Egelandsdahl and Mina Marie Eriksen married at the Noptarus Publicus, see no XV 174.If you would like to, you could contact the Statsarkivet i Stavanger by email and ask them to find more accurate info.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.