Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#71234] Births at sea registered in norway

Gjest Juliann Richens
 Del

Gjest Juliann Richens

Family tradition states that my gggrandmother Maria Stenstrop (Stensrud,Steinstrop)parents were german, and that they were merchant marines, and that their daughter Maria (or Isabelle maria)was born on board their ship. It says that Norway was their first port of entry after her birth, and that they had to register her birth in Norway. All United States census records state she was Norwegian. Is there a specific place her birth would be registered if this was true? The 1900 Minnesota United States census says she was born August 1835.Thank you for your help. Juliann

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Litta Olsen

Dear Juliann, the last name seems to be more Norwegian/Swedish than German and I wonder if you have more information about these people than you have mentioned here. Ship names etc.?I assume she is the one I found here in the 1880 Census (Lenke US Census&frompage=99) ?Regarding your question, I assume that the child would have been baptised in the first harbour the ship arrived at and that the church records here is the place to search. There are no central place with records like this. Unfortunately!Regards, Litta

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hanne Line Osberg Eide

I'm not an expert on this.But to be an norwegian citizen by birth, you have to have a norwegian mother or father. It is not enough to be born on norwegian soil.She might have Norway as birthplace, but she is not norwegian.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Litta Olsen

Sorry about the link that does not work. Is not important!But it would be nice to know all the information from the 1900 Census. FS is not working right now, so I cannot access the data myself.I agree with Hanne about the citizenship, but she can still have been baptized here. I also searched for the different name spellings and found that there are Stenstrop families in Denmark. This is closer to Germany and maybe the link ?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

You will find Steenstrup in Norway Lenke , but they came from Denmark. Take a look at Poul Resens 'Family', and you will see his children born in Norway.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Juliann Richens

Thank you for all of your suggestions and help. In the 1880 census Maria is living with her husband John Larson in Oak Lake Becker county Norway. She is listed as Isabelle M Larson. The 1900 census lists her as Maria S.Larsen., that she was born August 1835, and immigrated in 1862. It also tells me that her place of birth is in Norway as well of that as her parents. I thought that I would check the German angle as I have had three different family memebers say the same thing, and one we have never met. My dad and my aunt both claim that their grandfather, Maria's son said that his mothers parents were german, and she was born upon the shi that they were merchant marines on, and that her birth was registered in Norway. My dad and this relative also both claim that she was a german jew. Other than what family has said, I have always believed she was norwegian. So i really don't know where to go to find her. I recieved an obituary for one of her sons that stated that 'his folks immigrated to america in 1862 from Oigeberget Norway'. Thanks to the help of those here in the archives they found her husband John's birth in Eigsberget, Hof, Hedmark. I have searched and searched the records for that area and have come up with nothing. I don't know if I keep missing it or what. But as of yet, she is a complete mystery to me. Again, I really do appreciate all that all of you do to help me and others. I know that I couln't do it without your help.Thank you Juliann

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jon Erik Berg-Hansen

Have you seen our suggestions in 71233? When/where did they get married (names of father/parents listed)? Any info from papers of naturalization?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Juliann Richens

Yes I have seen your suggestions. I have checked them both several times, and found nothing. If the ship John was on, went to port in Canada, it would not have been recorded. They didn't start to record ships lists until 1865. I am at a total loss. As for mariage, that is another unanwered question. From John's record leaving Norway, he was single. The next mention I have of John and Maria is the 1875 Minnesota state census. I do have the dates of their children's birth, the first being in 1864, and in Minnesota. I do not know where that date came from, other than an aunt gave it to me. Whether John and Maria met on board a ship, or after they arrived in the US is a question.I do not have naturalization certificates for either, but I do have a certificate of citizenship for John which gives no information. Again thank you for your help Juliann

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.