Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#72202] Alfred Komedal

Gjest Annie Dorn
 Del

Gjest Annie Dorn

I am trying to find my great great grandfather Alfred, or Olaf Komedal, who emigrated from Norway to Polruan in Cornwall, England. He was born in 1867 and was a mariner. I do not know how to search for him in Norway, so would appreciate any help ! Many thanks.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torodd Kinn

There are at least two places in Norway called Kommedal or Kommedalen.One is in Rogaland county, specifically Høgsfjord/Forsand.The other is in Vestfold county, specifically Hedrum/Kvelde.The latter is part of the farm Bonnegolt.On Bonnegolt was born in 1867 a child called Søren Oluf, son of Thor Sørensen and Birte Marie Olsdatter. Here's the christening (no. 46): Kildeinformasjon: Vestfold fylke, Hedrum, Ministerialbok nr. 7 (1857-1868), Fødte og døpte 1867, side 132. Permanent sidelenke: [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1244&idx_id=1244&uid=ny&idx_side=-145>Lenke Permanent bildelenke:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Annie Dorn

All I have is his entry in the 1891 Census as being aged 24 and married to Rosina Cloke and living in Polruan. They had 3 children, Janet, Rosina and Alfred Toly. I am certain his wife was Cornish not Norwegian. On his daughter's birth certificate his is listed as being a ship's steward/cook, but I can't find any immigration information, or a death record so I don't know if he died whilst living in Cornwall, or maybe left. I am still looking and I am new to this so there may be more information that I haven't found yet. Thank you so much for your help, Norwegian ancestry seems very complicated !!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

Hei.By searching on Familysearch.com I find an Alfred Komedal born July 1866 in Norway, who came to Alaska in 1897/98, and who I find in the 1900-census in Apollo, Alaska, as a widower.He seems to have married a Johanna Svensson, they lived in Winslow, Kitsap, Washington, where 3 children died: Frank Joseph Komedal 1906-1936, Sylvia 1925-1930 and Thomas 1922-1930.His home address in Norway was Stavanger, Rogaland. He used to be a seaman, in Alaska he was employed as a miner.Maybe he could be your man, that his british wife died, and that his children in Cornwall were raised by someone else after their mother's death? Couls that be a posibility?Still, I have not found the birth of Alfred in Norway.(But why do you also call him Olaf?)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

This person died in Winslow, Kitsap, Wash., 22. Des. 1946, 80 years, 5 months, 18 days old. His parents should be: Tally O. Komedal and Evaroa Komedal (Evaroa is not a typical Norw. name).If your Alfred had a sion Alfred Toly, he could have got his Toly-name after Alfred's father Tally?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Annie Dorn

I did see this person in Alaska and I did wonder if it was the same person. He was known in the family as Olaf although he is definitely Alfred on his daughter's birth certificate. If I only have a record of him in 1881, then it is possible that he left his wife and moved to Alaska, but you say he was a widower ? I didn't know that, so then I need to do some more research in the UK. But this is more information than I hoped to get - thank you so much !

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

I found this: Alfred and Johanna Komedal had following children who is mentioned in Winslow in 1930:Stanley M 1905-1987 Frank J ca. 1907- Allen 1910-1997 Selma M. 1913 George 1914 May F 1916 James O 1918 Thomas A 1920 Silvia F 1925.I also found this by googling:May Nelsonof Bainbridge IslandJune 10, 1915 to Nov. 22, 2007May Jane Nelson was born on Unga Island, Alaska, and was the last surviving member of eleven children born to Johanna and Alfred Komedal. When she was five years old the family moved to Seabold, Bainbridge Island, from Unga. May attended grade school at the one-room Seabold School house, now the Seabold Community Hall, then on to the Winslow Lincoln School and graduated in 1933 from Bainbridge High School. After graduation she helped on the family farm and managed the family owned Red and White Store in Seabold.She married John C. Nelson in 1947 and they made their first home in Eagledale where John worked at the Creosote Plant. In 1957 the family moved to the family home in Seabold where she lived until 2006 when she moved to Montclair Park in Poulsbo.After her husband died in 1969, she worked for many Bainbridge families helping with child-care and housekeeping. May always enjoyed talking about Bainbridge history, Alaska and her family and travels in Norway. She was a member of the Bertha Rogers Orthopedic Guild, Bainbridge Island Senior Center and a lifelong member of The Seabold Methodist Church.She is survived by a daughter, Judy Slawson of Port Townsend; granddaughter, Cindy White; and two great-grandchildren, Jordan and Justin Green of Oak Harbor, WA; a son, Kenneth Nelson; grandchildren, Mark Nelson, Briana Nelson; and their mother, Jan Nelson of Bainbridge Island; and a son, Paul Nelson of Indianola. Her survivors also include nieces and nephews Grace Lark, Joan Bickerton, Sylvia Tytler, Morris Komedal, Carol Miller, Neal Komedal, many great- and grand nieces and nephews; a sister-in-law, Rosemary Komedal; cousins, Randi Mathisen, Clarice Golden; and relatives in Norway.May received much enjoyment from her many new friends at Montclair Park and the family wishes to express their gratitude and appreciation to the staff for their care and helpfulness.A gathering to celebrate her life and reception will be held on January 19, 2008 at 11 a.m. at The Seabold Methodist Church on Bainbridge Island.Remembrances can be made to the Children's Orthopedic Hospital or The Seabold Methodist Church Building Fund.But still... we don't know if this is the right Albert Komedal.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

And I also found this, Cornwall online 1891 census, which indikates that he was working 'overseas':78,6 Quay Polruan,1,Alfred Komedal,Head,M,24,,Mariner,Employed,Norway Overseas Foreign,, ,,,Rosina Komedal,Wife,M,,23,,,Polruan Cornwall,, ,,,Rosina Komedal,Dau,,,2,,,Polruan Cornwall,, ,,,Alfred Toly Komedal,Son,,9m,,,,Polruan Cornwall,, ,,,Richard Cloke,Brolaw,S,13,,Scholar,,Polruan Cornwall,,

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

SEABOLD CEMETERY, Bainbridge Island, Kitsap Co., WA 2003 Submitted by John W. GibbonsThe US GenWeb Archives provide genealogical and historical data to the general public without fee or charge of any kind. It is intended that this material not be used in a commercial manner. All submissions become part of the permanent collection.Komedal Alfred M 4 Jul 1866 22 Dec1946Komedal Allen Z. M 1916 1997Komedal Frank M 1906 1930Komedal Jessie Phyllis F 19 Apr 1926 20 Mar1969Komedal Johanna F 22 May 1881 3 Jul 1957Komedal Stanley Morris M 12 May 1905 23 Feb1987Komedal Sylvia Florence F 13 Dec 1924 9 Aug 1930Komedal Thomas Victor M 3 May 1919 9 Aug 1930Komedal Virginia H F 1910 1997

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Annie Dorn

Looking back at the original information : 'On Bonnegolt was born in 1867, Søren Oluf, son of Thor Sørensen and Birte Marie Olsdatter' - how can I find out if this is Alfred Komedal ?Also, 'This person still lived at Bonnegolt 1882, (number 3) while an other person lived at Kummedal (number 8). Could Søren Oluf be the right person?'Can you please explain about the Komedal / Kummedal part, as I don't understand the Norwegian farm system.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Annie Dorn

Oh my gosh, you are so helpful ! So I now need to contact the people in Seabold, although I will have to think about that, because we don't know why Alfred left his wife in Cornwall, he may not have told his new wife in Seabold about her, I remember you said on the census that he was a widower, well he certainly was not ! I would like to know if there is any family remaining in Norway, if you were able to help with that I would really appreciate it ! Can you do this without paying anything ? As to why he called himself Alfred, perhaps to integrate into his new life in England ? I think he may also have called himself Olaf in the family.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

Parents of Tolleiv Olsen Kommedal:Ola Tolleivson Kommedal from the farm Måen 1799-1846, married 04.08.1829 the widow Gurå Torgersdatter Kommedal 1786-1867. They had only one son together: Tolleiv born 13.11.1829.Gurå's parents: Torger Torsteinson Kommedal 1752-1809 and 2. wife Siri Mikkelsdatter Øvre Espedal 1755-1837 who married 1785.Ola's parents: Tolleiv Halvarson Måen 1763-1800 and Marta Olsdatter (Levang?) 1759-1800 from Høyland (Sandnes) in Rogaland.Tolleiv Olson Kommedal's wife Joris was daughter ofTorjus Øyuson Handeland and third wife Marit Gunløeivson Osen in Sirdal, Vest Agder. She was a servant at Kommedal when she met her husband from one of the Kommedal farms. There were more children in the family, according to the 'farm book': Olena-Tobia, Gurina, Berthe-Marie, Martha, Teoline, Ole (=Olai/ Olav) and Olena Tobia.I will try to find them in the church records.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.