Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#72821] Trying to find John Olsen, emigrated 1881 from Oslo(?)

Gjest Kristen Åkre
 Del

Gjest Kristen Åkre

I am trying to help a friend, whose great-grandfather emigrated in 1881 to America at age 17. When he arrived his name was John Olsen. We have found his arrival at Castle Gardens: Lenke on the ship Ethiopia from Glasgow (Scotland). However, firstly, I cannot find the ship that he might have taken to get to England/Scotland (either Hull, Liverpool, Newcastle, etc.). I am not sure he came from Christiania, but that is what my friend has been told. John's parents were supposedly Ola Andersen and Anne Johnsen (Johnsdtr?). I have searched census records in 1865, for example, trying to find such parents with a son John/Johan/Jon/Johannes/etc. and parents, either married or perhaps a mother who was tjenestepike or lived on an adjacent farm, for example. There were a couple of possibilities, but when I went to look at the migration records for 1881 for the parish, no luck. I also looked at migration records for major ports that would have had ships ending up in an English/Scottish port.Does anyone have any suggestions how to maybe find this John Olsen? I know his and his parents' names are very common! I am not sure about the name Lee, and neither does my friend. I suspect it is a farm name, but there are several Lee/Lie possibilities, and if the census search did not yet yield anything, would it help to look at each one's records?Thank you in advance for any help! Kristen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne Bakketun

Are you quite sure you have found the right person in Castle Gardens. Is that person your friends gg father? Or do you think he is, because it's the same name?You mention Lee/Lie as a possible farm name. Did John come from a farm called Lie?Marianne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristen Åkre

Regarding the farm, it is uncertain. My friend says that the only reference to Lee was on a hand-out at John's funeral. Otherwise he never used a middle name or middle initial. It is my best guess that someone heard that was his original farm name. Hard to say.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jon Erik Berg-Hansen

If your info is correct, no search in the 1865 census with first name Johan/Johann/Johand or John last name starts with Ols born 1864 parents Ola Andersen/Anne Johnsdatter gives a 100 percent match - the best is: Lenke. If he was born in 1865,you have at least 208 persons to check out for the (supposedly!!!)correct parents. Where did you get their names?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristen Åkre

Why do you say the link you give is the 'best'? There is no Anne listed there...? The names come from the marriage record that my friend got from the Buffalo County records in Nebraska. (I'm trying to attach it to this entry.) The US census records and his death certificate both show he was born in May 1864.

bilete7729.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

If you can get Johns birthdate it would really help.There is a JON Olsen going to Minnesota 3 June 1881 from the Oslo list.There is also this close match for John Olsen Johan Sex: M Birth: 12 Aug 1864 Place: Vang, Hedmark, Norway Christening: 28 Aug 1864 Place: Vang, Hedmark, NorwayParents: Father: Ole ANDERSEN Mother: Anne JENSDR

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kåre Petter Hansen

Johan Østensen may be the person who left in 1881. His age is appropriate. The person who traveled in 1881 was from Etnadalen. Bruflat parish is in Etnadal municipality? The farm he lives on is called Fjeldslien. We need to know the date of Johans birth, but Lien seems to be the name of his wife ? Lenke MVHKåre Petter Hansen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil Russøy

Could John be short for Johannes?I have found Johannes Olsen emigrating from Raade Parish in Østfold 6. of april 1881. His birth is 12 may 1864. His father is Ole Andersen Steensrød. (Right side 1881 nr 2) Kildeinformasjon: Østfold fylke, Råde, Ministerialbok nr. 7 (1878-1902), Utflyttede 1880-1881, side 376. Permanent sidelenke: [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=3458&idx_id=3458&uid=ny&idx_side=-351>Lenke Permanent bildelenke: LenkeHis mother is Anne Johanesdtr. The problem with this person is that it seems like the correct birthdate is 12. may 1863. (nr. 29) Kildeinformasjon: Østfold fylke, Råde, Ministerialbok nr. 6 (1854-1877), Fødte og døpte 1863, side 66. Permanent sidelenke: Lenke Permanent bildelenke: LenkeHis parents seems to be divorced in 1865

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roar Tvetmarken

Johan Olsen left from Christiania for Glencoe/MN in 1881. The Ministrialbook for Sør-Aurdal/Bugn 1849-1876 (Folio 49, Nr. 32), says Johan was born on 23.05.1864 and his parents are Ole Olsen and Ingri Johannesdatter. With the possible exception of his mother's first name, this agrees with the above entries, specifically Kristen's entry #6.Regards, Roar

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kåre Petter Hansen

The Johan Olsen I found is not the right one, but the one Roar found is almost certainly the correct one,who traveled in 1881.LenkeWe are still in Sør Aurdal and then Etnadalen is close? Parts of Etnedal kommune was once a part of Sør-Aurdal ? MVH Kåre Petter

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jon Erik Berg-Hansen

(11) In my opinion, you're not close enough - even with birthday May 23 1864.Take a close look at his death certificate (6): Father = Ole Andersen, mother Anna Johnson.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kåre Petter Hansen

You are of course right Jon Erik, but we can probably expect that the recent Johan Olsen is the one who traveled to Glencoe in 1881? But it is not certain that he is the John we are looking for. MVH Kåre Petter

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

If you look at the marriage certificate John says his parents are Ole Anderson and ANNA Johnson.Johns age is given as 23 in June 1886.This could mean John was born in 1863 or early 1864.Johns marriage to Caroline Lilly was in Nebraska not too far from Minnesota. Egil ( 10 ) seems to have found the most promising person. Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristen Åkre

I think Egil (10) has found it, at least the best possibility... I meant to also insert John's death certificate from California, which shows his birth date as 12 May 1864, I see several others have been hard at work for me! It is possible, perhaps, John/Johannes was born in 1863 and always said or thought it was 1864.Egil, how did you think to look in Råde?Thanks for your help!

bilete7739.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mariann Stokken

It is not unusual that the birthdate/year 'change' when people left Norway. I have seen it several times, the last time for only a couple of weeks ago.I got the info from BC, Canada that the person I tried to locate was born 'in Sogn' 1912(that was written in his death-cert too). I looked through _all_ churcrecords from Sogn og Fjordane(a county here in Norway)between 1911-14, not able to find him.But with help from different other information I found him 1910!Kind regards from Mariann.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil Russøy

(18) I have to admit that it was just luck. I have been searching in the churchrecords in the parish near Sarprsborg for some time, and since we couldn`t find him in Oslo, I desided too look for him there while I was looking for others in the same records.Egil

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.