Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#73789] Eigersund -- help with this location

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

I need some help with this location. In 1900 Rogaland, there are two locations called Eigersund: Municipality numbers 1101 and 1116.I believe the first is the coastal town and the second is the larger municipality. But when I am searching the various databases, how do I know which of these two descriptions apply? In the (1116)Eigersund section of this site, there are these databases:Døypte i Eigersund ladestad 1892-1893Døypte i Eigersund landsokn 1879-1893Døypte i Eigersund og Ogna sokn i Eigersund prestegjeld 1866-1878In the scanned kirkebøker, I found this baptism (for Hans David Grønnestad):Permanent sidelenke: LenkeWhat should I show as his birthplace? In the 1900 census, it shows he was born in 'Egersund Sta'.How do I differentiate between the two Eigersunds?I would appreciate any assistance...Hilsen Patti Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Celvin Ruisdael

Hello PattiRecently I moved to Egersund (town) in Eigersund kommune (municipality)Until 1965 there were, as you write, two separate units - merging on 1 January 1965Ladestad is another word for the town, spelled EGERSUNDToday Egersund is municipality centre of EIGERSUND. When 1101 Egersund and 1116 Eigersund merged in 1965, 1101 EIGERSUND became name of new municipalityYours, Celvin Ruisdael

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei CelvinThank you for this explanation. It does help.Regarding the birth of Hans David Grønnestad. See my link to the record in (1). This file is named 'Ogna i Eigersund', but in the 1900 census, his birthplace is shown as 'Egersund Sta'. What do you think is the proper place of birth for Hans?Again, thanks for your help.Hilsen Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Celvin Ruisdael

His BAPTISM was in Ogna sokn (parish) - click link for photo of church http://www.haa.kyrkja.no/Today Ogna is in neighbouring municipality of Eigersund, called Hå kommuneOgna was an independent municipality until 1964, but in church matters it belonged to Eigersund prestegjeld (clerical district)Ogna is situated 16.3 km from Egersund townLocation of BIRTH: it is Egersund (ladestad, town) if we can trust available material discerning properly between the two locations (Egersund, Eigersund). However, still some uncertainty remainsCelvin

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you, Celvin!I looked for more specific information in the baptism record, but I did not see any. If I understand you correctly, Hans was baptised in Ogna, but that does not mean he was born there.Is 'Egersund Sta' the town?I feel better when you write that there is some uncertainty! I thought it was just me!Hilsen Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Celvin Ruisdael

Hello again Patti !See blue headline on top of screen when you open link for baptism, heading clearly states Døpte i Ogna i Eigersund 1827-1850 (Baptized in Ogna in Eigersund 1827-1850)Unfortunately some of local church books went missing from that time period, inclusive birth registrationsEgersund, Sta : Sta. = abbr. of Stavanger amt (old name of Rogaland fylke). Egersund is the town / ladestad, but frequently name seems also used for the rural areas outside town. Egersund landsokn (landsogn) is used for parish outside town - adding to confusionEventually confusions went too high and EIGERSUND went to be solemnly official spelling for the areas outside town There are some dialect variations. The countryside locals pronouce name Eig- , town people Eg-Baptism outside town could indicate that birth occured outside townChurch un Egersund town is in the middle of town. Normally locals went to that church for baptismsFrom sources available, it cannot be established for a fact exact location of birth - it can be either in town Egersund or in EigersundHe and his parents are also found in census 1865, residing in StavangerCelvin

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

CelvinWhat a great explanation of a confusing subject! So, I would be accurate if I wrote that he was born in Eigersund -- it could be the town of Egersund (but not likely). At the time of this parish register, Ogna was in Eigersund... so, I should be OK, right?I am related to Sikke Bergitte Salvesen, wife of Hans David Grønnestad and daughter of Torger Salvesen & Laurentse Svensdtr. Torger's father was born at Eglandsdalen in Heskestad. Hans David Grønnestad's mother Dorthea Aadnesdtr was also from Eglandsdalen, and I noticed another person from this farm mentioned in his baptism record. I wonder if this is how Sikke & Hans met?... through mutal relatives.Anyway, thanks again for your help...mvh Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...
Gjest erling t. endresen

Hei.I have studied the birth record (1). Parents are called Erich Johan Davidsen Grønnestad og hstr (wife) Dorthe Aanensdatter Egsd, Egsd = Egersund, = the town.If they had lived in the Eigersund municipality, the farm name would have been mentioned after their name, for example Slettebøe, Ege, Hovland or another farm name.Don't you think I am right, Celvin?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

The birth record is not Ogna in Egersund, but Egersund AND Ogna, one record for both churches, I think. So he is not necessarily babt in Ogna, he might have been babt in Egersund church....... so I think.Eigersund og Ogna = Eigersund and Ogna....A 9 1827-1850 24 Eigersund og Ogna sokn. Eigersund: Fødte og døde 1827-1850. Konf. 1827-1848. Vigde 1827-1849. Inn-/utflyttede 1827-1850. Vaksinerte 1827-1847. Ogna: Fødte og vigde 1848-1849. Døde 1847-1850.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

I think that Erik Johan D. Grønnestad is mentioned Snedker = carpenter, when his son is babt, while he is a school teacher in 1865 in Stavanger?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

I think that Erik Johan D. Grønnestad is mentioned Snedker = carpenter, when his son is babt, while he is a school teacher in 1865 in Stavanger?I think he is mentioned 'Snedker' = carpenter at his daughters babt in Stavanger in 1843, too.Permanent sidelenke: [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=15880&idx_id=15880&uid=ny&idx_side=-180>Lenke Permanent bildelenke:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei ErlingThank you for these posts. I am away from home right now, and do not have my family files with me. As soon as I get home, I will look at your posts and respond.Again, thanks for the information.mvh Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Erling!I have had time to look at this record now that I am home. Hans David Grønnestad married my distant cousin, Sikka Bergitte Salvesen, in 1879 Stavanger. Permanent sidelenke: [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1672&idx_id=1672&uid=ny&idx_side=-111>LenkeHe was 'Kasserer ved Rigstelegrafen'. It looks like the family moved around... maybe because of his job? Their first child was born in Bergen, next two in Haugesund, and last three in Egersund (town).They lived in Stavanger in 1900 (

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.