Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#75858] The Surname 'Kaia 'or ' Koien ' from Vinger or Austmarka

Gjest Clark Monson
 Del

Gjest Clark Monson

My great grandfather and most of his brothers came to the USA from Vinger or Austamarka in the 1870's and 1880's. The family used the name 'Johnson' but were also often called the surname 'Kaia'. Can anybody tell me what this means? I know that the farm 'Ramtjernaasen' in Vinger is refered to by relatives in Norway as 'Kaia'. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rolf Jerpseth

Ramtjernaasen is a place under the farm Masterud in Vinger. Earlier it was written Ravntjernaasen after the bird crow/raven, that is Raven-pond-hill according to Vinger book III. The owner about 1880 was Johannes Johannessen Ramtjernaasen. I don`t know wat Kaia means.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Håkon Christiansen

I don't know this area, but I would suggest that it means the same. Ramn = ravn = raven. Kaie is a jackdaw, a small black crow (corvus monedula). So 'Kaia' might simply be slang for 'the raven place.'

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rolf Jerpseth

According to the census 1865 Johannes Jans. Ramkjernaasen was a cottager. A 'koie' is a small hut, and cottages used as holiday places is often referred to as 'hytta' ('koia') but it does`nt make sence here.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.