Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#76471] Lesja - prest Jens Jensen Staby, early 1600s

Gjest Marilla Schenk
 Del

Gjest Marilla Schenk

We are interested in anything we may learn about my husband's ancestor Jens Jensen Staby and his father. In a novel about Prillar Guri I noticed reference to Herr Jens making sheepskin blankets to sell to add to his income. This little bit of information was so outside anything to do with the plot of the story that I wondered if it was perhaps based on some known history about this man. Can anyone suggest if there are histories written about him and/or his father that tell something more about their lives than names and dates?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aud Sandbu

I have found this from a book 'Physisk og Ekonomisk Beskrivelse over Gulbransdalen Provstie i Aggeshuus Stift i Norge' written by Hugo Friderich Hiorthøy in 1781. I hope someone who is clever than me in English, will translate for you.About Jens Jensen Staby's father:'Jens den ældre, saa kaldet fordi hans Søn af samme Navn succederede ham, skal have været en dansk Mand, og kommen ung til Kaldet, hvor han givtede sig med en Bonde-Datter, navnlig Marit, med hvilken han avlede blant andre, sine Børn, tre sønner, nemlig Aron, Niels og Moys. Imidlertid denne Hr. Jens var paa Lessøe indfaldt foruden mange Frost-Aar adskillige Tørke-Aar i Sognet, saa ei allene mange Bønder formedelst Hunger forlod Sognet, men og Præsten selv, ongefær i Aaret 1600, maatte henimod Vaaren gaae ud tilligemed sin Hustue. Da de vare saa fattige at de eiede hverken Hest til at reise med, eller noget at leie sig frem for, maatte Præsten sætte sin Hustrue paa Kjælke (der er en liden Slæde, som et Menneske kan trække) og saaledes selv drage hende over Isen til Bottom (en Bondegaard ¾ Miil fra Lessøe Præstegaard) hvorfra de begge fore siden ud af Sognet. Derefter skal bemeldte Hr. Jens være kaldet til Provst over Gulbransdalen, og Sognepræst i Øjer, hvor han døde. Denne Hr. Jens brugtes i Sognet til adskillige verdslige Forretninger, som Dommer og Sorenskriver, og giorde adskillige Mage-Skifter med Forretninger, som her og der endnu findes i Sognet. Udi hans Tid fortæller man: at Bønderne, formedelst Uaar, skal have ladet deres Gaarde hvile udyrkede, og sendt deres Plougjern ind til Aggershuus Slot, for dermed at give tilkiende, at de ingen Skat kunde svare, hvorfor de ogsaa en Tid lang derefter bleve befriede.'About Jens Jensen Staby:'Jens den yngre, den ældres Søn, hvilken, deels af Mangel paa Studentere, deels og fordi ingen vilde tage imod Kaldet, for dets Ringhed og slette Tilstands Skyld, skal være tagen ud af fierde Lectie i Tronhiems Skole, og ongefær Aar 1600 om Sommeren kaldet til Præst paa Læssøe, hvor han som en meget fattig Person kom vandrende. Paa denne hans Opreise kom han til at logere paa Hattrem, en Bondegaard, hvor han forliebede sig i en Bonde-Datter, som han siden tog til Ægte. Derefter kom han til Præstegaarden, som han fandt i en meget ynkelig Tilstand, da der var verken pløiet eller saaet. Udi denne Præstes Tid faldt Skotterne ind her paa denne Side i Gulbransdalen 1612, og bleve af Læssøe Bønder, samt nogle af de andre Sogne, slagne i Kringelen udi Bredenbøigden, som hører til Vaage Sogn. Bemeldte Hr. Jens avlede ni Børn med sin Hustrue, som alle bleve ved Bondestanden. Selv kunde han Buntmager-Professionen, som han i Førstningen tildeels skal have ernæret sig med, ved at giøre Skindfelder for Bønderne, i hvilken Henseende man fortæller: at han engang i en Liigprædiken over en Bonde, som havde været Skindfeldmager, skal i sin Application have sagt: 'Vel var den gode Salig Mand en god Mester til at giøre Skindfelder, dog kunde han ikke giøre saadanne Fryndser i Hiørnene som jeg'. Naar Manden lyste til af Prædikestolen, at Menigheden skulle komme til Præstegaarden, for at giøre deres sædvanlige Pligt-Arbeide, stod hans Hustrue op i Kirken, og med lydelig Stemme erindrede ham saaledes: 'Gløm inkie beja døm taa mæ Sponom sinom' (Hvilket betyder: Glem ikke at bede dem tage med sig deres Skeer.) Imidlertid denne Hr. Jens var Præst her giorde han ogsaa ligesom Faderen mange verdslige Forretninger, blant hvilke man endnu finder Skiftebreve paa adskillige Steder i Sognet, saavel som og endeel Domme i Aastæd-Sager; endelig fik han Hr. Sigvard Ingebretsen til Capellan, med hvilken han kom i en Proces, da han vilde tvinge ham til at ægte sin Datter, maatte for denne Aarsag reise til Christiania, og paa sin Tilbagereise døde i Ringsager Prestegaard omtrent 1639.'

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marilla Schenk

Tusen takk, Aud - this is wonderful, exactly what I hoped there might be! Thank you so much for finding this and sending it in to the forum. I have been working with a dictionary and several of the words are not in it so perhaps someone will tell me where I misunderstand.About Jens the father:Jens Senior, so called because his son of the same name succeeded him, must have been Danish and came young to Kaldet (is this a specific place or does it just mean the parish?) where he married a farmer's daughter named Marit with whom he had also 3 other sons, Aron, Niels & Moses. While Hr. Jens was at Lesja there were bad years of frost and drought so many farmers in the parish were starving. The priest and his wife decided they must leave. They were so poor they had no horse so the priest settled his wife in a type of sleigh that a man could pull and towed her himself over the ice to Bottom, a farm some distance from Lesja parish where they both (not sure of this part). Thereafter Hr Jens was named Provst over Gudbrandsdalen and parish priest in Øyer where he died. It seems to say then that he prospered there acting as judge or mediator, perhaps it is executor of some estates here and there in the parish? Does the last sentence say something to the effect that the farmers were unable to pay their taxes and sent ploughshares in to Akerhus Slott and it took a long time for them to recover from that desperate time?Now, about the son Jens Jensen Staby: The younger Jens, oldest son, - does the next part mean he was not good at his studies? .....in the summer of 1600 was named priest at Lesja, where he was a poor wanderer. While he was lodging at the farm Hattrem, he fell in love with and married the farmer's daughter. Then he went to Prestgaarden where things were in a wretched state 'da der var verken pløiet eller saaet' - can't find what that might mean....during this priest's time the Scots landed in Gulbransdalen 1612 and were defeated by Lesja farmers together with others in the Sogn at Kringen....Hr Jens and his wife had 9 children all of whom remained farmers. He became a furrier and perhaps it says earned his keep by selling sheepskin blankets to the farmers? Now this next quotation - it is unclear to me who said it and what was said. Then his wife gets up in church and says something in a clear voice but - what did she say?! This must be very interesting!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aud Sandbu

Marilla, I have tried to do a translation. If something seems to be strange, then tell me.Jens Senior, so called because his son of the same name succeeded him, must have been Danish and came young to the vocation place, where he married a farmer's daughter named Marit with whom he had also 3 other sons, Aron, Niels & Moses. While Hr. Jens was at Lesja there were bad years of frost and drought so many farmers in the parish were starving, and therefore they left the parish. The priest and his wife decided they must leave, too. They were so poor that they neither had horse nor could hire one, so the priest settled his wife in a type of sleigh that a man could pull and towed her himself over the ice to Bottom, a farm some distance from Lesja priest's farm, from where they both left the parish. Thereafter Hr Jens had the vocation as Provst over Gudbrandsdalen and parish priest in Øyer where he died. This Hr. Jens assisted in temporal affairs, as judge and magistrate, and did a lot of affairs from which the documents still is here and there in the parish. During his vocation it is said: that the farmers, because of bad crops, let their farms lie uncultivated, and sent their ploughshares in to Akershus Slott to show that they were not able to pay their taxes, and because of this they were exempted for a long time.About the son Jens Jensen Staby:Jens junior, son of the senior, who, partly because of few students, partly because none would take this bad/poor vocation, had to be taken out of his fourth Lectie at Trondhiem's school, and about year 1600 in the summer was put into the vocation as priest in Lesja, to where he came wandering as a very poor person. While he was lodging at the farm Hattrem, he fell in love with and married the farmer's daughter. Then he went to the priest's farm where things were in a wretched state because there were not either ploughed nor disseminated. During this priest's time the Scots landed in Gulbransdalen 1612 and were defeated by Lesja farmers together with others at Kringelen in Bredenbøigden, a place in Vaage Sogn. Hr Jens and his wife had 9 children all of whom remained farmers. He became a furrier, and earned his keep also by selling sheepskin blankets to the farmers. A story connected to him as a furrier, was that during the buriel sermon where he told about the deceased farmer who also had been a furrier, he said ' Well, the blessed, deceased man was a good master, but he was not able to do such fringes in the corners as I do'. When the man from the pulpit informed the people about when they had to come to the priest's farm for doing their usual duty work, his wife araised in the church, and with a clear voice she reminded him like this: 'Don't forget to ask them to bring their own spoons!' During the time when Hr. Jens was priest here, he did, like his father, many temporal affairs, and still probate and jugde documents after him exist on different places in the parish; finally he got Hr. Sigvard Ingebretsen as capellan, to whom he came into a Proces because he forced him to marry his daughter, and for that reason he had to go to Christiania, and on his return he died in Ringsager priest's farm about 1639.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marilla Schenk

Thank you so very much, Aud!! I love the quotes about his ability to make good fringes and also about bringing their own spoons! - it is always good to have a little humour in the histories. I am so happy about this, it is a lot more information than we had - thank you again. I am sure my mother-in-law will be very interested to hear this, too.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.