Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#77816] Sjømannsruller -- Ingebrigt Mikkelsen Innbjoa

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

I am trying to locate the seaman's records for Ingebrigt Mikkelsen. He was born 7 April 1891 at Innbjoa in Ølen. I found him in 1918 -- he was a witness at the baptism of his niece in Bjoa (he is listed as a 'stuert'). Also, I believe that he traveled to America, possibly about 1919, and worked there as a seaman for some time. I found records that I believe are for him that show him working on a Norwegian ship, the D/S Pluto from 1923-1925, traveling between New York City and Nova Scotia.I know that he returned to Norway, although I don't know exactly when.I have already checked with Stavanger, and they don't have any record of him.If this is not the proper way to inquire, do you know to whom I should write?I appreciate your assistance.Hilsen Patricia Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Yngve Nedrebø

He was registered as a steward in Bergen, and he was sailing in the 1920s from Haugesund, on Pluto from 1923, on Sydfold from 1927.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Yngve!I wonder... is there a file you can send me, or can you tell me some more specific information? Here is why...Ingebrigt is Arne's (my husband) great uncle. We have information from a cousin that Ingebrigt had a son in Norway. This was news to us. We are trying to trace his steps to figure out when and where this child might have been born. In the 1930 census for New York, he states that he came to the U.S. in 1919, but I can't find a record of this.Arne's cousin wrote this: 'Ingebrigt did not find the American dream, and came from the States in 46-47 sick and using crutches. He moved in with my mothers family, but suffered from cancer and died after a short time.'He was buried in Bjoa cemetery in 1949, so I wonder if he had the child before he went to America? If he was sailing from Haugesund, is it likely that is where he lived? What is the earliest date you have for him?I would appreciate any information.mvh Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Yngve!I wonder... is there a file you can send me, or can you tell me some more specific information? Here is why...Ingebrigt is Arne's (my husband) great uncle. We have information from a cousin that Ingebrigt had a son in Norway. This was news to us. We are trying to trace his steps to figure out when and where this child might have been born. In the 1930 census for New York, he states that he came to the U.S. in 1919, but I can't find a record of this.Arne's cousin wrote this: 'Ingebrigt did not find the American dream, and came from the States in 46-47 sick and using crutches. He moved in with my mothers family, but suffered from cancer and died after a short time.'He was buried in Bjoa cemetery in 1949, so I wonder if he had the child before he went to America? If he was sailing from Haugesund, is it likely that is where he lived? What is the earliest date you have for him?I would appreciate any information.mvh Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you YngveTell me if I'm wrong, but I don't see anything here that gives me a good clue about when he went to America? It looks like he sailed from Norwegian ports most of the time, except that I know the Pluto also sailed from New York to Nova Scotia.Can you tell me about the entry for 14 Feb 1920? Is Hardanger the name of his ship? I know Hardanger is also a district in western Hordaland. And I can't make out the word after that '?wnia'.Isn't Sarpsborg a city in Østfold? Does this section of the register indicate that he sailed out of Alesund, Sarpsborg, Hull (Heull?) and Kristiansund between 1917-1922? Might these be cities where he resided temporarily?Does this register show that he stopped working on Norwegian boats after 1927?Sorry for all the questions!Again, thank you Yngve, for this information.mvh Patti Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Yngve Nedrebø

It is often hard to say where a sailor with no family had his home! It seems Ingebrigt spent most of his time on the ships. He had a few weeks between his trips, and he may have spent those weeks in England, America or Norway.In 1920-21 the tax collector in Bjoa asked for information about Ingebrigt, so it seems they wanted to tax him, but did not know where to find him! Perhaps he did not want to be registered as a taxpayer in Norway, and perhaps he did not register as a taxpayer in the US either.He sailed on Hardanger from Feb. 14, 1920. And he did register from a lot of different towns. He may have lived there for a while, or he may just have gone there to enter his ship.He was not registered from Bergen after 1927.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Again I thank you, Yngve!It seems most likely that he had his son in Haugesund, since he was there for the longest time. I have searched the kirkebøker some without success. I think that unless I find more from Arne's cousin about Ingebrigt's living descendent, I think I have taken this as far as I can.mvh Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.