Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#79078] Can someone please help me read a marriage record.

Gjest Nancy Hashka
 Del

Gjest Nancy Hashka

Hi, I have the Norwegian/English online dictionary but I have come across things recorded on my great-grandparents marriage that I don't understand. Can someone please help me?Their marriage is listed in the digitised parish records in Sparbu/Maere, it is on page 241, the year is 1897 and they are #3. John Martinussen and Julianna Johnsdatter. There is an 'X' beside John's name with a notation at the end of the record that I don't understand.Can someone please help me?Thank you. Nancy Hashka

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nancy Hashka

The link you have given me is the correct link for the marriage I have questions about. What I need is someone to explain to me what it says in the last 3 columns next to the 'X'. I don't understand what it means.Thank you, Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Erik Lie

Nancy, the text is written in 'nynorsk' or 'landsmålet', one of the official languages in Norway. It reads 'Brudgommen sin utfl.attest vart send attende til honom den 30/5-05.'In English this means 'The grooms license for moving (from the parish) was sent back to him 30th of May 1905.'

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nancy Hashka

Thank you, Erik. What does that mean? Does that mean that they moved somewhere in 1905?The reason I am curious is because I am missing information about them between 1900 and 1910. I have a birth of a son in 1900 (Johan - tranabakken - Steinkjer records) and a birth of a daughter in 1910 (Solveig Konstance - tranabakken - Steinkjer records), but, I cannot find the birth of my grandfather (Arne) in 1906. Even the people at the archives in Trondheim have been unable to help me.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Erik Lie

Without having researched this matter thoroughly, it is hard to say what it could mean. But such 'attester' were often written when something important happened, at least in the 1800s. I have found in one case that an 'attest' for moving from the parish was written by the parish priest in 1855 for a person that moved from the parish in 1840, because she was to be married in the parish where she then lived.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Margaret Miller

Perhaps it will help when the 1910 census comes out later this year! There you will see your person and it should tell where he is born. It looks like they had gone somewhere around 1905.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nancy Hashka

Thanks to both of you for your answers. This has been driving me crazy for months. I know I will have the answer when the 1910 census comes out, but my Mom always said I was too ivrig.Thanks again, Nancy.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Nancy did your grandfather emigrate from Norway? If he did you might find where he was from in the shipping lists? Also if he came to Canada there might be more in the Canadian Passenger list? Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Here is the family in 1900 Tranaplads.Interesting that they have 2 other daughters and it says John was born in 1854 not 1874.If you look at the births of Johan and Solveig in Steinkjer you will see Johns surname is JenshusLenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nancy Hashka

Thanks everyone. I have all of his records except his birth. What has got me so curious about him is that he always told everyone he had 2 sisters, Aslaug and Solveig, and a brother, Johann. He never told any of his children or grandchildren about his half-sister, Anna. I thought perhaps she may have died when he was young but I found her marriage record when he was 9. He was a very secretive man, so I have always been curious about him.I do know that he left Norway to help his uncle Lars on a farm in Canada and he married Uncle Lars' stepdaughter (my grandmother). I also remember my mother telling me he got sent to Canada for fooling around with a very close female relative, so I am investigating all of John's and Julianne's brothers and sisters to figure that out. He also deserted his family here in the late 30's to go back to this relative in Norway and was gone for a couple of years.Genealogy is so much fun....you never know what you will find.By the way, are there any records out there for passengers arriving in Norway in the late 30's?Thanks everyone so much!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Aslaug was born 18 Aug 1897 Tranabakken chr.24 Oct. 1797 in Steinkjer.I could not find Annas birth in the records.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.