Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#79085] Ole Anderson 'S' Melaas what does the 'S' stand for?

Gjest Eric Benson
 Del

Gjest Eric Benson

My G-G-Grandparents were Ole Anderson S. Melaas (Maelaas)born 1813 and Martha Melaas born 1818 in Sogndal Norway. I think Ole took the last name Melaas when he got married. I think Martha was Mons Lassesen Melaas daughter. And Mons was Lasse Monsen Melaas son. What was Ole Anderson 'S' name and ancestry before he got married? I have a Norwegian trunk with the initials O A S M 1843 on it. They came to the USA in 1844 on the ship Juno. If you could help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

I doubt very much Ole ever had another name; however, the way you present it from the old trunk, the S stands for ''son'', i.e. ''O(le) A(nders) S(son) M(elaas)''. On a woman's trunk there would similarly be a 'D' for dotter (daughter).Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jon Erik Berg-Hansen

When and where (in what parish) did they get married? Could the S stand for Søndre (Southern part of) Melaas (actually listed as Mæ(ae)laas)?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Eric Benson

Can someone please translate the wedding page? I think his name was Ole Anderson Llinde and he took the Melaas name when married. Is that correct?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Frode Hansen

Bachelor Ole Andersen Slinde, birthplace: Slinde address: Meelaas, 26 years, Father: Anders Johannessen Slinde. Ms Martha Monsdatter Meelaas, 21 year, birthplace: Meelaas, father: Mons Lassesen Meelaas.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kent Williamsson

According to 'A History of Norwegian Immigration to the United States' by George T. Flom he mentions in the chapter Immigrants from Sogn on page 267.The Melaas families from Norum Annex of Sogndal Parish, they were the first to emigrate from that district. This party consisted of 11 persons, Mons Lasseson Melaas b. 1787 and wife Martha; Kristen L. Melaas, wife Aase and daughter Anna; Jonas K. Bjelde and wife Kristi; Ole A. Slinde, witrh wife Martha and two children.A note mentions that Martha, wife of Ole A. Slinde, was the daughter of Mons Melaas. They all took the name Melaas.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kent Williamsson

Same source says that Ole Andersen Melaas was born 1812, Martha Monsdatter was born 1818; two children Mons b.1840, Kari b.1844.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.