Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Looking for Norwegian ancestor

Fred H. Boer
 Del

I was wondering if somebody could help me with finding an ancestor in Norway. Andries Amons married a woman in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and said he was born in Larvik, Norway. That would be around 1744. I did try to find churchrecords for Larvik (Vestfold?) but couldn't find any. Did i look wrong, or are there no records.

If there are, like to know where to look then?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I may be wrong, but that doesn't look like a Norwegian name at all. The closest fit I can imagine would be "Anders Amundsen". Do you have the marriage records from the Netherlands to verify his name?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Unfortunately the only time his name was mentioned was with the baptism of his children, Andries, Catharina, Matthijs, Anna, Christiaan and Elisabeth.Could not find his death too.It's a mistery man

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Could this be your man?: http://digitalarkive...&merk=8884#ovre, This is a register of probates in Larvik 1672-1812, and shows that a Anders Anundsen lived in Amsterdam in 1786. He was the son of Anund Roppestad og Karen Børresdatter, and a nephew of Johanne Børresdatter, who had died without children. His parents were dead.

The original probate protocol is found here: http://arkivverket.n...ead/25438/343/., and says, as far as I can see, that Andreas Anundsen was married and lived in Amsterdam.

This is a tax list from 1762, and shows "Anders Anuesen" living with his mother and her second husband Jacob Jonsen (this explains why one of his brothers in the probate record was called Jacobsen): http://digitalarkive...8&merk=808#ovre

If you're lucky, some one on this forum with more detailed knowledge of Larvik may with this information be able help you further along, if the dates fit and this is your man.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

If he was indeed born in Norway of Norwegian parents I would assume that his name, for whatever reason, was modified into a more "Dutch form". I cannot imagine him baptized in Norway of Norwegian parents with a name like Andries Amons. The first name Andries, for example, is a relatively common Dutch name.

That does, of course, render your situation quite difficult because all you have is the Dutch form of a name of someone allegedly born in Norway. You could try and search through the church records in Larvik the decade around 1744 for similar sounding names (such as Anders Amundsen) and see what you come up with. You may end up with more than one candidate however, which may complicate your situation that much more.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I didn't see Ola's post until now, but that definitely sounds like a candidate worthy of further investigation. Maybe you're lucky enough that its the right person! :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Farms named Roppestad are situated in Hedrum (north of Larvik) parish and Nøtterøy parish (south of Tønsberg).

The farm-history books (bygdebooks) for Hedrum and Nøtterøy mention no matching Anund on any of these Roppestad farms.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Farms named Roppestad are situated in Hedrum (north of Larvik) parish and Nøtterøy parish (south of Tønsberg).

The farm-history books (bygdebooks) for Hedrum and Nøtterøy mention no matching Anund on any of these Roppestad farms.

There was an Anund Andersen at Roppestad in Kvelde subparish (Hedrum parish). He died ca. 1721, leaving behind several children. Among these were Anders Anunndsen, 33 years of age, thus born ca. 1688. I have earlier assumed that he was the same person as carpenter Anders Roppestad, living at Fritsøbakkenin Larvik around 1730.

I haven't studied this person, but it's chronologically possible that he could have been the father of the Anund Roppestad married to Kari Børresdatter and grandfather of the Anders Anundsen that lived in Amsterdam in 1786.

Ola found an Anders Anundsen from Larvik who were married and living in Amsterdam in 1786. He could possibly have been born about 1744. I think it will be hard to find any evidence in Norwegian sources, that this is the man you are looking for, but it seems very likely.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

There was an Anund Andersen at Roppestad in Kvelde subparish (Hedrum parish). He died ca. 1721, leaving behind several children. Among these were Anders Anunndsen, 33 years of age, thus born ca. 1688. I have earlier assumed that he was the same person as carpenter Anders Roppestad, living at Fritsøbakkenin Larvik around 1730.

I haven't studied this person, but it's chronologically possible that he could have been the father of the Anund Roppestad married to Kari Børresdatter and grandfather of the Anders Anundsen that lived in Amsterdam in 1786.

Ola found an Anders Anundsen from Larvik who were married and living in Amsterdam in 1786. He could possibly have been born about 1744. I think it will be hard to find any evidence in Norwegian sources, that this is the man you are looking for, but it seems very likely.

The probate of Anund Andersen Roppestad at Fritsøbakken in Larvik establishes that his son Anders Anundsen, the one that lived in Amsterdam in 1786, was 12 years of age in January 1759, hence born about 1746.

Anund Andersen Roppestad was indeed son of Anders Anundsen Roppestad, due to the probate of the latter in 1746.

This leads to the following:

1. Anund Andersen (ca. 1655-ca. 1721) at the farm Roppestad in Kvelde subparish. Married to Lisbet Andersdatter (first marriage) and father of:

2. Anders Anundsen Roppestad (ca. 1688-ca. 1746) at Fritsøbakken in Larvik. Married to Pernille Klausdatter and father of:

3. Anund Andersen Roppestad (ca. 1721-ca. 1758) at Fritsøbakken in Larvik, a seaman who disappeared in the West Indies. Married to Karen Børresdatter and father of:

4. Anders Anundsen (ca. 1746-), married and living in Amsterdam in 1786, possibly identical to Andries Amons.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 år senere...

Hallo Fred,
Ik zie dat je nog steeds bezig bent met genealogie.  Herinner je onze samenwerking uit 1996?

De antwoorden die je kreeg op je laatste vragen, lijken me voldoende gedocumenteerd. Kristian Hunskaar is een uitstekende genealoog.

Groetjes

JanM

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hallo Jan,

Uiteraard weet ik nog wie je bent. Ik weet dat je ook bezig was met een naam hier in Nederland en die ik wel vaker ben tegengekomen. Ik herken hem elke keer als ik deze zie.

In mijn laatste vraagstelling in dit forum van gisteren zag ik pas nadat ik weer ging google'n dat er een reactie was geweest op dit bericht. Nadat ik deze vraag in 2011 gesteld had heb ik nooit een e-mail gekregen dat er een reactie was geweest. Ik heb inmiddels begrepen dat je dat kan oplossen door een vinkje aan te zetten, maar dat kan je pas lezen als je de taal kent.

Ik heb in een latere reactie dan ook gemeld dat de vraag al beantwoord is. Leuk om je weer te horen trouwens! Groeten vanuit Mokum!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

If he was indeed born in Norway of Norwegian parents I would assume that his name, for whatever reason, was modified into a more "Dutch form". I cannot imagine him baptized in Norway of Norwegian parents with a name like Andries Amons. The first name Andries, for example, is a relatively common Dutch name.

That does, of course, render your situation quite difficult because all you have is the Dutch form of a name of someone allegedly born in Norway. You could try and search through the church records in Larvik the decade around 1744 for similar sounding names (such as Anders Amundsen) and see what you come up with. You may end up with more than one candidate however, which may complicate your situation that much more.

Andri(e)s is in fact also a quite common Norwegian forename - still in use. I know that Andris is (and has been) used in Valdres. It might also have been used in Southern Norway from 1600 on. At that time there was a lot of Norwegians who emigrated to the Netherlands, mostly seamen. Norwegian has a lot of Dutch words still in use to day.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Andries Amons (or better: Andreas Anundsen) was a sailor indeed. He joined the VOC (Verenigde Oost-Indische Companie, in English United Eastern Indian Company). I just recently found he sailed to Batavia (Indonesia) from 1776 until 1780. It matsched perfectly: the children born in Amsterdam were before and after this period. Quit unfortunately his father Anund Andersen Roppestad went the same way and was missing in Batavia in 1758.

Thanks to this forum i received the neccesary information already in 2011 but failed to receive the messages.

For obvious reasons my norwegian is not existing :unsure: en i am wondering what this means: tjenende hos Fridrich Falkenberg     /    enke etter Ian Iacobsen    /    død; vært g.m. Anund Roppestad

Thanks for helping!

Andries Amons (or better: Andreas Anundsen) was a sailor indeed. He joined the VOC (Verenigde Oost-Indische Companie, in English United Eastern Indian Company). I just recently found he sailed to Batavia (Indonesia) from 1776 until 1780. It matsched perfectly: the children born in Amsterdam were before and after this period. Quit unfortunately his father Anund Andersen Roppestad went the same way and was missing in Batavia in 1758.

Thanks to this forum i received the neccesary information already in 2011 but failed to receive the messages.

For obvious reasons my norwegian is not existing :unsure: en i am wondering what this means: tjenende hos Fridrich Falkenberg     /    enke etter Ian Iacobsen    /    død; vært g.m. Anund Roppestad

Thanks for helping!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Fred,

Your last sentence may be translated into: "Serving Fridrich Falkenberg/ Jan Jacobsen's widow/ dead, was married to Anund Roppetad". G.m is a usual abbreviation for "gift med" (married to).

Thanks,

Are

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Andri(e)s is in fact also a quite common Norwegian forename - still in use. I know that Andris is (and has been) used in Valdres. It might also have been used in Southern Norway from 1600 on. At that time there was a lot of Norwegians who emigrated to the Netherlands, mostly seamen. Norwegian has a lot of Dutch words still in use to day.

I am unfamiliar with the naming traditions in Valdres, so if it is indeed the case that Andri(e)s is a common name in that area then I learned something new today! :) I can certainly imagine circumstances in which it would exist; such as a Dutch couple moving to Norway or the "Dutchification" of a more traditional Norwegian name such as Anders or Andreas. But I cannot, however, imagine a Norwegian family baptizing their child with such a name without some foreign influence to do so.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hallo Hans,

An other member of the family tree is also from Norway, and his father had his roots in the Netherlands. It can happened off course. But not in this case: the roots are all in Norway situated as it seems.  thanks for giving it a thought! :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider