Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Thoreson

Samuel R. Thoreson
 Del

According to the Norwegian census of 1900 29718 males wrote their name Peder, 8961 wrote Peter, 8840 Petter and 2320 Per. All these forms could - more or less - be regarded as the same name, and the persons may appear in the records using more than one of these forms over the years.

In 1900 there are 3756 Thorsens/Thorsons in the 1900 census, another 1458 wrote their surname Torsen/Torson, 3074 Thoresen/Thoreson, and 1735 Toresen/Toreson.

The conclusion? Your father may have called himself Peter Thoreson in Norway, but I guess more likely Peter or Peder Thoresen, but he may also appear as Petter or Peder or Per, and could also from time to time use Thorsen or Thoresen or Toresen.

Do you know when he was born, or/and when he emigrated, it would be possible to find his actual records.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you so much. Peter Thoreson was born in Woodville, Wisconsin, USA on April 28, 1883. I am seeking his parents, who are listed as residents of Norway in the 1930 Census he filed. This certainly is not much to go on, but any leads you may be able to give me will be appreciated. It is a shame that I do not ever know or recall my grandparents names. Sam Thoreson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The Thoresons most likely belonged to a (Norwegian) Lutheran church in or near Woodville, Wisconsin. The baptism of Peter will tell the name of his parents, and as the minister was a Norwegian their names Norwegian style, and may be their origin, would be listed there. The ELCA has microfilm copies of the registers of the Lutheran congregations in America, and they will probably be able to guide you: https://www.elca.org/Who-We-Are/History/ELCA-Archives/A-Brief-Guide-for-Archives-of-Congregations.aspx

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Yngve! I contacted the ELCA archives for Woodville, WI, and anticipate a response shortly. You have been a real asset in my search. Each day I get a little closer. I will also contact the Woodville or Wisconsin Vital Statistics to receive a copy of the birth certificate. Thanks again for your help. I intent to send you the details when I have finalized my search. Do you have a direct e-mail address?? My e-mail address is thor29@cableone.net. Sam Thoreson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Yngve! I contacted the ELCA archives for Woodville, WI, and anticipate a response shortly. You have been a real asset in my search. Each day I get a little closer. I will also contact the Woodville or Wisconsin Vital Statistics to receive a copy of the birth certificate. Thanks again for your help. I intent to send you the details when I have finalized my search. Do you have a direct e-mail address?? My e-mail address is thor29@cableone.net. Sam Thoreson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider