Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

What is a "Hammerskriver"

peter sven
 Del

I have 2 ancestors who were "hammerskrivers" and I cannot seem to determine exactly what this job entailed. They both worked at the Kongberg Silverworks. I believe that "hammer" refers to the hammers used to crush the ore and "skriver" is a clerk, but I cannot combine these two words into a job description unless it meant he simply counted the hammer blows.

I have been unsuccessful in finding an email address for Kongsberg Silverworks where I can ask this question. If someone can either describe "hammerskriver" or give me an email address for Kongsberg Silverworks, where this question may be answered, I would be most grateful.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I believe that "hammer" refers to the hammers used to crush the ore and "skriver" is a clerk, but I cannot combine these two words into a job description unless it meant he simply counted the hammer blows.

I don't understand your problem. The owners of the hammer work naturally needed to keep accounts on the flow of ore. In the case of precious metal ore, I can imagine a certain potential for loss. The workers were paid by the amount of ore they processed, and somebody needed to keep an account on that. If the hammer work was part of a finery forge, the «skriver» also had to keep an account of the coal used.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The "hammer" in question was a big water-driven device, used to form hot iron. At Kongsberg Sølvverk, this iron either stemmed from some small iron mines in the Kongsberg area, or was used, recirculated iron.

You may see a picture of a similar hammer here (3rd picture from top):

http://www.eiker.org/Arkiv-Oe/Prosjekter/K-2009/MaanedensTema/2009-04-01-industri.html

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have 2 ancestors who were "hammerskrivers" and I cannot seem to determine exactly what this job entailed. They both worked at the Kongberg Silverworks. I believe that "hammer" refers to the hammers used to crush the ore and "skriver" is a clerk, but I cannot combine these two words into a job description unless it meant he simply counted the hammer blows.

I have been unsuccessful in finding an email address for Kongsberg Silverworks where I can ask this question. If someone can either describe "hammerskriver" or give me an email address for Kongsberg Silverworks, where this question may be answered, I would be most grateful.

Peter,

Kongsberg Sølvverk (silver works) was closed down in 1957, but all the facilities have been turned into The Norwegian Mining Museum. Their website which also has some pages with English text can be found here: http://www.norsk-bergverksmuseum.no/index.php?pageid=2590 There you will also find a contact e-mail address.

I believe Leif Biberg Kristensen has the more correct explanation of the occupation "Hammerskriver". Kongsberg Iron Works was a separate enterprise and not directly related to the silver works. The museum can probably give you the correct explanation and if you are lucky also some additional information about the employment of your ancestors if you provide them with names and approximate dates.

Regards

Tore Naess

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider