Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Spørck Family

sporcknorge
 Del

I am unable to find the date of death and the place of burial of my great great grandparents, Carl Ludvig Spørck birth:1827 Stryns Præstegj. and

Bastine Viborg birth: 1831 Skiaker S og Pr.

Without success, I have also searched for the "Spørck Hotel" owned by them and what happened to it?

My grandfather, Carl Ludvig Spørck birth 08 February 1857 Ålesund, Møre og Romsdal lost his life on 10 December 1883 when the Molde Steamer capsized during the trip from Vigra to Ålesund.

I am unable to find any information regarding the name of this Molde Steamer, the owners of the vessel or it's size and tonnage?

I am in my twilight years, aged 78, my intention is to visit Norway to pay my respects at the graves of my forbears, when my health improves.

I will really appreciate any help or guidance on how to proceed with my search.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

"Skiaker" I guess is the same as Skjåk district, just east of Stryn.

The 1875 census for Ålesund lists “hotel owner” Carl Ludvig Spørck (b.1827 in Innvik parish) with his family in Kippervigen in Ålesund. Wife Bertine Spørck born Wiborg in 1831, Skiaker. Son Carl Ludvig, unmarried sailor, born 1857, Ålesund. Marie Wiborg, b.1788, widow, “mother”, supported by CL Spørck.

Daughter Grethe Fredrike, b.1851 married Nils Haslund June 26, 1875.

Carl Ludvig Spørck b.1857, “merchant”, married, died December 9, 1883, when the boat capsized. Father Carl Ludvig and mother Bastine (spelling error?) listed as relatives.

Karl Ludvig Spørck b.1827, married businessman, died June 5, 1892, buried June 11. Original protocol:

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070328640093.jpg

The census says that the family lived in "Kippervigen", house ("farm") 18, area 3/18. I guess Kippervigen roughly corresponds to what is now Kipervikgata or Keiser Wilhelmsgate, the very centre of Ålesund today.

I am not sure if such old graves can still be found. Also note that there was a devastating fire in 1904, and the town of Ålesund was rebuilt. Not a single house remained, and I don't know details about what streets today correspond to those prior to 1904. I think you have to study detailed history to find where the Spørck hotel was. Historian Harald Grytten has compiled several volumes about Ålesund before and after the fire.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

"Skiaker" I guess is the same as Skjåk district, just east of Stryn.

The 1875 census for Ålesund lists “hotel owner” Carl Ludvig Spørck (b.1827 in Innvik parish) with his family in Kippervigen in Ålesund. Wife Bertine Spørck born Wiborg in 1831, Skiaker. Son Carl Ludvig, unmarried sailor, born 1857, Ålesund. Marie Wiborg, b.1788, widow, “mother”, supported by CL Spørck.

Daughter Grethe Fredrike, b.1851 married Nils Haslund June 26, 1875.

Carl Ludvig Spørck b.1857, “merchant”, married, died December 9, 1883, when the boat capsized. Father Carl Ludvig and mother Bastine (spelling error?) listed as relatives.

Karl Ludvig Spørck b.1827, married businessman, died June 5, 1892, buried June 11. Original protocol:

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070328640093.jpg

The census says that the family lived in "Kippervigen", house ("farm") 18, area 3/18. I guess Kippervigen roughly corresponds to what is now Kipervikgata or Keiser Wilhelmsgate, the very centre of Ålesund today.

I am not sure if such old graves can still be found. Also note that there was a devastating fire in 1904, and the town of Ålesund was rebuilt. Not a single house remained, and I don't know details about what streets today correspond to those prior to 1904. I think you have to study detailed history to find where the Spørck hotel was. Historian Harald Grytten has compiled several volumes about Ålesund before and after the fire.

Hi Erik,

Thank you,

There seems to be some confusion about the maiden name of Bastine Spørck, some archivists use Bastine, some use Bertine, the surname is sometimes spelt Viborg instead of Wiborg and the place of birth Loms instead of Skiaker.

Will you please advise me of the source of the information you kindly provided regarding the date of death of Carl Ludvig Spørck?

The Church Book (http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070328640093.jpg) is the burial place Ålesund?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Lom and Skjåk (Skiaker) are next door districts in Ottadalen valley.

Carl Ludvig's burial I found in the list of burials for Ålesund parish 1878-1885.

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=4&filnamn=gr15011878p&gardpostnr=581#nedre

The list says "church/parish" is Ålesund, so both father and son was most likely buried on the cemetary in Ålesund. The protocol is written by the head minister (sogneprest) in Ålesund.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Lom and Skjåk (Skiaker) are next door districts in Ottadalen valley.

Carl Ludvig's burial I found in the list of burials for Ålesund parish 1878-1885.

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=4&filnamn=gr15011878p&gardpostnr=581#nedre

The list says "church/parish" is Ålesund, so both father and son was most likely buried on the cemetary in Ålesund. The protocol is written by the head minister (sogneprest) in Ålesund.

But the list of burials 1878-1885 surely will not show the burial of Karl Ludvig Spørck b.1827, married businessman, died June 5, 1892, buried June 11. Original protocol:?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

According to Harald Grytten Vestre Kirkegård (Western cemetary) near Ålesund kirke was used from 1855 to 1920. Nordre Kirkegård (Northern) "behind the mountain" was used 1879 to around 1950. Ålesund kirke was severly damaged in the fire and a new church was built on the same spot.

Kipervika (Kippervigen) was a small bay that cut into the land where today there is Kipervikstorget (market square). This small bay was filled to create land (1850-1860). So the Spørck hotel was probably somewhere near what is now Kipervikstorget.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

According to Harald Grytten Vestre Kirkegård (Western cemetary) near Ålesund kirke was used from 1855 to 1920. Nordre Kirkegård (Northern) "behind the mountain" was used 1879 to around 1950. Ålesund kirke was severly damaged in the fire and a new church was built on the same spot.

Kipervika (Kippervigen) was a small bay that cut into the land where today there is Kipervikstorget (market square). This small bay was filled to create land (1850-1860). So the Spørck hotel was probably somewhere near what is now Kipervikstorget.

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for this additional information.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider