Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Tormod Olsen Hodne

Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

Regarding my 2d.tippoldefar, Tormod Olsen Hodne -- as I explained in a previous post, his father is a mystery. He is shown as "Ola Gundlevsen Ouglan af Find-aas" in the baptism record, and it has been suggested that possibly this is not his real name -- since his mother, Ragnild Jensdtr Madland (Gjesdal), was not married.

Here's the mystery -- in 1801, Tormod was confirmed as "Thormod Ols. Hodne", see Min lenke

In the 1801 census, I found only two possibilities for Tormod in Rogaland --

"Tormo Olsen", age 20, tienestefolk, at Veke in Saledahl, in the household of Lars Knudsen.

"Thormod Olssen", age 21, tienestefolk, at Hoversteen in Houschen, in the household of Ole Nielsen & Engeborg Erichsdatter.

Although later he did settle at Hodne, at the time of his confirmation, I see no connection to this farm.

As for his mother, in the 1801 census, Ragnhild was "Indlogeret", disabled and receiving assistance, at Østbøe in Houschen in the household of Anders Olsen. Later (1810), she married Peder Pedersen who was from Hegreberg, but living at Utstein Kloster at the time of their marriage. So... no connection to Hodne there either.

Can anyone explain why he might have taken this name? Is it possible that his "real" father was from Hodne?

I am baffled!

Hilsen Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

In this period there were no real surnames in use in most of Norway. Except for some families in cities and among the "citizenry", most people used their first name, a patronymic and the place they lived (sort of like an address).

As an example: For one of my ancestors, I know he had five children, and have been able to locate teh baptism records. On these five occations, the father is listed with five different "surnames", as he was moving around a lot.

In this case, he could be in service at Hodne at the time, and somewhere else when the census was taken.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

That makes sense. Too bad, I was hoping it was a clue to the identity of his "real" father!

mvh

Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Regarding my 2d.tippoldefar, Tormod Olsen Hodne -- as I explained in a previous post, his father is a mystery. He is shown as "Ola Gundlevsen Ouglan af Find-aas" in the baptism record, and it has been suggested that possibly this is not his real name -- since his mother, Ragnild Jensdtr Madland (Gjesdal), was not married.

"Ouglan af Find-aas" might be the farm Økland in Findaas/Finnås parish (Hordaland county).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you, Hanne Line

I have searched every farm that is spelled remotely like Ouglan in Rogaland and Hordaland. I believe someone even checked the bygdebok for Finnås. The conclusion, although not a very satisfactory one, is that I will probably never learn the true father's identity :( . That is why I was looking for clues in other places... like where he lived or the surname he used.

I do appreciate your feedback...

mvh Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The conclusion, although not a very satisfactory one, is that I will probably never learn the true father's identity :( .

I think we all reach that stage. I've found all my daughter's ancestors born before 1801 census, but now it is getting increasingly harder, partly because of illegitimate children, partly because of the mobility of tenants. I have little hope of complete uncovering of the generation before 1801.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei Eline

Actually, I have been pretty lucky. I really shouldn't complain. Much of my "luck" has been due to the kind people on this forum! I just hate "loose ends"! It seems like a mystery I should be able to solve. But alas, it is not meant to be!

Thanks for your empathy...

mvh Patti

PS- I notice you are from Vestfold. My bestefar (my father's father) was born in Notterøy. His parents were immigrants from Sweden. You can probably imagine how well that went over with my living aunts and uncles. I had one uncle who said "NO! That can't be true!"

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider