Hope this helps.

Column 1: Number

Column 2: Birth Date

Column 3: Baptise date

Column 4: Childs full name

Column 5: If legitimate or illegitimate born

Column 6: Parents full name, Occupation and Residence

Column 7: Supporters full Name

Column 8: If baptized at home and by who.

Column 9: If illegitimate child, by who is information given, either by child mother or trusted member of the church

Column 1: 103

Column 2: 11 October

Column 3: 29 October

Column 4: Flub (Priest signature) Beate

Column 5: illegitimate

Column 6: girl Oline Hansdatter Nest and bachelor Ole Olsen Strandbakken (can't read that in brackets)

Column 7: Hans Gudbrantsen and Inger M. Hansdatter Nest, Erik Endresen, Olava Olsdatter and Olava Hansdatter Vikera

Column 8:

Column 9: Hans Gudbrantsen Nest

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

"Begges 1ste Leiermaal" can be translated as "Both first child outside marriage" or "Both first illegitimate child" as I see it

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Just to elaborate a little further; Leiermål refers to the formerly criminal act of sexual relations outside of wedlock. Although, technically, any sexual relations outside of wedlock would qualify as leiermål, in the context of the church records (someone correct me if I am wrong) the terminology was usually used in the case were it actually resulted in a pregnancy (mainly because that was pretty much the only way it would be discovered). The text in column 6 indicates that this was the first incident of leiermål for both Oline and Ole.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Wow - this is very interesting news. Thank you for the translation. If my understanding is correct - during this time period - premarital sex was a crime? Obviously, Ole and Oline engaged in such - would there have been any legal charges brought against them?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Column 4: Flub (Priest signature) Beate

Flub is not the signature of the priest, but an abbreviation of the parish name Fluberg. It states that Beate was baptized in Fluberg.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

There is a rather comprehensive article about leiermål at the Norwegian Wikipedia (article here). The article is in Norwegian, but if you run it through Google Translate you get a reasonably good translation of it. Yes, technically, premarital sex was a crime in Norway until 1972, but practically it was repealed much earlier. The penalty for the kind seen in the case of Oline and Ole was usually in the form of a fine. There was a large spectrum of sexual crimes ranging from the very serious (including sex while married to another person, incest or bestiality) to the more common premarital sex (in which both parties were unmarried). In the latter cases, the penalty - usually a fine - was much less severe.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The interesting thing here is that Ole (the father) came to the US just 2-3 months before the birth of this child. Makes me wonder what happened here. Either he did not know that a pregnancy occurred...or perhaps he knew and did not want to take responsibility for it.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Most likely he knew, but as many others they travel to US in hope for work and better future. Norway was at that time very poor, and it was hard times.

Did Oline stay in Norway or did she came to Us at later time

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Since you already know he headed for the United States, you probably have already seen the entry when he left Norway? Ole Olsen Strandbakke is listed as leaving the parish headed for the U.S. on August 7th 1871. This is only two months before the birth of Beate.

Permanent Sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8976&idx_id=8976&uid=ny&idx_side=-213 (right side, entry 39).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ken, was premarital sex a crime until 1972?

Wikipedia says: "I prinsippet forble leiermål straffbart i norsk lov (straffeloven § 379), frem til 1972, men lovbestemmelsen var sovende de siste tiårene den eksisterte."

I have not verified the relevant article in the penal code, but I am sure it is easy to verify by referring to historical editions of the penal code.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Og her står det:

38te Kapitel. Forseelser mod Sædelighed.

§ 379. (Opphevet ved lov 21 apr 1972 nr. 18.)

Jeg har dessverre ikke tilgang til en eldre utgave av straffeloven og kunne ikke i farta finne den på nettet heller, så jeg kan dessverre ikke gjengi den originale teksten i paragrafen.

EDIT: and by habit I reverted to Norwegian in the above post, what I said was: "I do unfortunately not have access to an older edition of the penal code and could not find anything online either, so I cannot, unfortunately, cite the original text of the article".

Endret av Ken V. Nordberg
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider